Bruce Zimmermann 2019

weams

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Y'all forgot about Chris Tillman. Threw two complete game shutouts in Norfolk in 2010. A no-hitter and a one hitter. That curveball was so good sometimes. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=tillma001chr&type=pgl&year=2010

Very exciting to see Zimmerman putting up a start like this!

I didn’t necessarily forget about Tillman.   That was 9 years ago.   I’m guessing it happened sometime more recently than that.   In fact, I’m going to check on someone now....

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, if you had Zimmermann in the (fanciful) poll as to which player acquired in last July’s trades would have the best season in 2019, take a bow!

Along with that who would have thought Schoop would have been non tendered after the season and it looking like a good chance Gausman joins him as a non tender guy after this season.  I guess he not going to be next Arrietta like some said when he got dealt.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t necessarily forget about Tillman.   That was 9 years ago.   I’m guessing it happened sometime more recently than that.   In fact, I’m going to check on someone now....

After doing a lot of digging...

Bowie had three 9 inning complete game shutouts in 2015.   Two by the immortal Terry Doyle, one by the equally immortal Elih Villanueva.    Nobody at Bowie or Norfolk had done it since then, until Zimmermann’s gem tonight.   I’ll update this if it happened at Frederick or Delmarva since then, but I doubt it.  (Nope.)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Zimmerman now has 118 IP at the AA level. 

I know this happens after every time a guy has a huge game, but promotion time?

Put it this way: it’s not like there’s a bunch of studs blocking him in Norfolk.    

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Put it this way: it’s not like there’s a bunch of studs blocking him in Norfolk.    

No complaints here if some AAA driftwood gets cut loose and we see Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells in Norfolk for the second half. Put them all in line to compete for roster spot in spring training. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

No complaints here if some AAA driftwood gets cut loose and we see Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells in Norfolk for the second half. Put them all in line to compete for roster spot in spring training. 

Agreed. At this point, I'd love to see a Norfolk rotation of:

Akin, Lowther, Zimmermann, Wells, and Eshelman. I think we've seen enough of Rogers and Ortiz. They both either need to be sent back to Bowie to work things out or converted to relievers at this point. If you want to spot start them here and there or some other guys to keep the innings in check for the others, fine.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Agreed. At this point, I'd love to see a Norfolk rotation of:

Akin, Lowther, Zimmermann, Wells, and Eshelman. I think we've seen enough of Rogers and Ortiz. They both either need to be sent back to Bowie to work things out or converted to relievers at this point. If you want to spot start them here and there or some other guys to keep the innings in check for the others, fine.

I definitely think it’s time for Ortiz to be a bullpen guy.  If you look at his MiL track record, he’s never been able to average 5 innings per start.   He’s capable of throwing 96 mph, so put him in the bullpen and turn him loose!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another strong start for Zimmermann last night, 7 shutout innings allowing 5 hits, 3 BB and 7 K's.  I'd be inclined to push him to Norfolk at this point, he now has 135.2 IP at the AA level with a 3.05 ERA and 8.6 K/9 and is already 24.  Let's see how the stuff plays with the ML ball in a stronger offensive environment. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Big Mac said:

Another strong start for Zimmermann last night, 7 shutout innings allowing 5 hits, 3 BB and 7 K's.  I'd be inclined to push him to Norfolk at this point, he now has 135.2 IP at the AA level with a 3.05 ERA and 8.6 K/9 and is already 24.  Let's see how the stuff plays with the ML ball in a stronger offensive environment. 

In general, when you look at the Norfolk rotation, there’s certainly nobody blocking any deserving AA pitcher from a promotion.   It will be interesting to see what Elias does this month.     He’s certainly not rushing anyone.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Big Mac said:

Lowther has a strong resume as well.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Lowther has a strong resume as well.

I'd be fine with promoting him too, but if we are picking one of the Bowie starters right now I think it should be Zimmermann.  More AA experience than Lowther, one year older and he isn't having issues with walks like Lowther is. 

Honestly, I'd probably promote all four of Zimmermann, Wells, Lowther and Kremer to Norfolk before August. 

3 hours ago, Big Mac said:

I'd be fine with promoting him too, but if we are picking one of the Bowie starters right now I think it should be Zimmermann.  More AA experience than Lowther, one year older and he isn't having issues with walks like Lowther is. 

Honestly, I'd probably promote all four of Zimmermann, Wells, Lowther and Kremer to Norfolk before August. 

Who do you see them replacing on the Tides roster?

In light of the MLB baseball being used in AAA, is it wise to possibly undo in about 1 month what they have done this season?

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, Big Mac said:

You can basically pick any player and after a strong night someone is calling for promotion, but 135 IP is a full season. He’s no kid. 

I think we may be undervaluing the importance of Sig being able to to build a database of these guys at an “appropriate” level. Let’s say we push him and he starts throwing less of his secondaries. 

This is my tinfoil theory for any players and promotions this year. They want a full year data set at one level. This way they have more of predictive model going forward, and can also make the appropriate suggestions to players. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You can basically pick any player and after a strong night someone is calling for promotion, but 135 IP is a full season. He’s no kid. 

I think we may be undervaluing the importance of Sig being able to to build a database of these guys at an “appropriate” level. Let’s say we push him and he starts throwing less of his secondaries. 

This is my tinfoil theory for any players and promotions this year. They want a full year data set at one level. This way they have more of predictive model going forward, and can also make the appropriate suggestions to players. 

Agreed!!!!

• Thanks 1