Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I really want to disagree with this, and have argued the opposite, but I fear you're right. I'll still hold out hope that some team will take Davis off of our hands for 1/3 of the price after he's been productive through the end of this year. I know those odds aren't good though. It would be miraculous if it happened by the July deadline. However, if I'm the O's and he continues to perform, I form a very public narrative about how he's the comeback player of the year, found the fix to his swing, etc., and I talk about it on every broadcast and in every publication that will hear me. Build the right narrative and someone might bite.

No one is taking Davis off the Orioles no matter what his season is like this year.  Also if he has a monster season why would you want him gone so badly?

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

No one is taking Davis off the Orioles no matter what his season is like this year.  Also if he has a monster season why would you want him gone so badly?

Fair question. I'm not sure I personally would. I'd like that it gives Elias more options, in theory, than just eating $80 million, or whatever.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Fair question. I'm not sure I personally would. I'd like that it gives Elias more options, in theory, than just eating $80 million, or whatever.

Its not like they are going to spend the money if they saved it. Davis making 16 million a year. You are only talking about saving 5.3 million a year if some other takes him on for a 1/3 rd of the price ignoring the deferred money. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Its not like they are going to spend the money if they saved it. Davis making 16 million a year. You are only talking about saving 5.3 million a year if some other takes him on for a 1/3 rd of the price ignoring the deferred money. 

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what was opinion in there.  I think I just posted facts. If you don't like the facts don't blame me.

The part about whether they would spend the money.

I know your opinion. They're pinching pennies. However, in many businesses, you operate within a budget. If you suddenly free up $5.3 million/year, you could theoretically use that on scouts, equipment, international development, free agency or whatever. I'd like to think that Elias has some control over a budget and he/the team would benefit from saving the owners $5 million/year.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The part about whether they would spend the money.

I know your opinion. They're pinching pennies. However, in many businesses, you operate within a budget. If you suddenly free up $5.3 million/year, you could theoretically use that on scouts, equipment, international development, free agency or whatever. I'd like to think that Elias has some control over a budget and he/the team would benefit from saving the owners $5 million/year.

Well there is zero evidence of them spending anything over the bare minimum since the son's took over.  So I will say they will pocket any saved money since that is their history.  

Just now, atomic said:

Well there is zero evidence of them spending anything over the bare minimum since the son's took over.  So I will say they will pocket any saved money since that is their history.  

I know. Your position on this matter is well-articulated. Not worth another argument.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I know. Your position on this matter is well-articulated. Not worth another argument.

They would'n't spend money on the Cuban international signings last summer.  They didn't sign one guy to a contract even of a million dollars this off-season.  They were able to get rid of O'Day's huge salary.  I am not sure what more evidence you need.  There is no news of them planning to build a new facility in the Dominican Republic.  Hyde was probably the cheapest guy they could get as he interviewed for something like 6 managerial jobs this off-season and was turned down.

We don't even have a scouting director do we?

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

We don't even have a scouting director do we?

Listen to Tony's interview with Elias re: this scouting director question. Re: the rest, I'm just not getting into this with you. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

They wouldn't spend money on the Cuban international signings last summer.

You talking about Victor Victor Mesa that everyone was circle jerking about? He has a .578 OPS in A ball this year.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Listen to Tony's interview with Elias re: this scouting director question. Re: the rest, I'm just not getting into this with you. 

So you are saying I am wrong although every fact points to be being right?  

Archived