Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Well it is almost as this whole board is manic depressive and one person posting under different account names  10000 threads about how Davis is the worst player to play the game and should be released immediately.  He gets a few hits when Hyde  is only letting him hit against easy pitching match ups.  He gets his average up to .190 and suddenly he os an All Star.  Hyde plays him every day and moves him up in line up and he predicatably goes back to .160 hitter.

Someone points this out and the same people blasting Davis for the last two years gets upset.  

Is anyone upset?    But I’m not judging Davis or anyone else on what’s happened in his last 25 PA. I always said, before the season began, that Davis would get at least two months before the O’s considered cutting him.   Right now I’m guessing he’s going to get longer than that; he showed enough life in his recent hot streak to buy himself some more time even if he slumps for a bit.    Hopefully any slump won’t get too extreme or prolonged.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is anyone upset?    But I’m not judging Davis or anyone else on what’s happened in his last 25 PA. I always said, before the season began, that Davis would get at least two months before the O’s considered cutting him.   Right now I’m guessing he’s going to get longer than that; he showed enough life in his recent hot streak to buy himself some more time even if he slumps for a bit.    Hopefully any slump won’t get too extreme or prolonged.

Dont know what hot streak you are talking about?

If you back his last 50 at bats he is hitting less than .200.  He is just as bad this year as last year and this season he is mostly sitting against lefties.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Dont know what hot streak you are talking about?

If you back his last 50 at bats he is hitting less than .200.  He is just as bad this year as last year and this season he is mostly sitting against lefties.

Maybe you should go back to the OP and refresh your memory.

I don't think anyone thought he was suddenly fixed, but he had his best streak in years after breaking his 0-fer streak.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe you should go back to the OP and refresh your memory.

I don't think anyone thought he was suddenly fixed, but he had his best streak in years after breaking his 0-fer streak.

He had a similar streak last year at the same time. Got his average to go from .081 to .181.  

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

He had a similar streak last year at the same time. Got his average to go from .081 to .181.  

Much shorter.    This was his best streak since 2017.    Not that it’s anything amazing - just, better than nothing.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Much shorter.    This was his best streak since 2017.    Not that it’s anything amazing - just, better than nothing.  

It’s encouraging, but definitely not an indicator of future performance. It was nice to see Davis be productive even if it ends up being brief.  

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Both streaks were 19 games.

You’re right, same length.   But, to be clear, you are comparing a 19-game streak of .235/.316/.309 to a 19-game streak of .309/.377/.582?    I don’t consider those “similar” at all.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right, same length.   But, to be clear, you are comparing a 19-game streak of .235/.316/.309 to a 19-game streak of .309/.377/.582?    I don’t consider those “similar” at all.

They ended up in very similar places at the same time of the season, what did he strike out 4 times today?  And this years streak is really shorter. In 2 of the 19 games this year he had zero at bats and in 2 of the other games he had 1 at bat.  So really only a 15 game stretch.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

They ended up in very similar places at the same time of the season, what did he strike out 4 times today?  And this years streak is really shorter. In 2 of the 19 games this year he had zero at bats and in 2 of the other games he had 1 at bat.  So really only a 15 game stretch.

Well, one could argue that Davis should be given credit for maintaining his groove despite not starting four of those 19 games. Goes without saying that it's a common worry that a hot player will go cold on the bench.

The Statcast figures were climbing in the games before he ended the hitless streak.

It was also a positive sign that Hyde feels Davis is still good enough defensively to deploy in the late innings of a game. And who knows, he may have also been exploring the idea that Davis can develop late-career skills as a pinchhitter a la Smokey Burgess ?.

It's been pointed out many times that Davis was very run- and power-productive during that period--a welcome change. No one thought that he was going to stay hot forever. The mlb.com article about how he could become an All-Star was pure fantasy, but well-written, an enjoyable gedanken-erfahrung thought-experiment. I would hope that even you were glad for the guy that he broke out of the hitless stretch with a strong few weeks, not few days.

Or maybe you are too stressed by the idea that unless Davis completely fails, the O's will keep him on the 25-man roster. Out of the same aspect of compassion, I alternatively suspect that it will be easier for the O's to cut him between seasons if he reaches a certain level of competence and can leave on a high note (relatively speaking) instead of utter humiliation. That is, considering how much media attention there's been, the Orioles and Davis are facing a unique human relations problem.

Oh and you seem to imply that there's a certain predictable timing to when Davis raises the hopes of some hypothetically stupid fan that I'm sure doesn't exist among those who post to the OH. The career monthly figures, at least, don't show that to be the case.

I still hope April 13-May 12, 2019 was just one of several good periods he has in the remaining part of the season. But I'm not putting any money down on it, that's for sure.

34 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Well, one could argue that Davis should be given credit for maintaining his groove despite not starting four of those 19 games. Goes without saying that it's a common worry that a hot player will go cold on the bench.

The Statcast figures were climbing in the games before he ended the hitless streak.

It was also a positive sign that Hyde feels Davis is still good enough defensively to deploy in the late innings of a game. And who knows, he may have also been exploring the idea that Davis can develop late-career skills as a pinchhitter a la Smokey Burgess ?.

It's been pointed out many times that Davis was very run- and power-productive during that period--a welcome change. No one thought that he was going to stay hot forever. The mlb.com article about how he could become an All-Star was pure fantasy, but well-written, an enjoyable gedanken-erfahrung thought-experiment. I would hope that even you was glad for the guy that he broke out of the hitless stretch with a strong few weeks, not few days.

Or maybe you are too stressed by the idea that unless Davis completely fails, the O's will keep him on the 25-man roster. Out of the same aspect of compassion, I alternatively suspect that it will be easier for the O's to cut him between seasons if he reaches a certain level of competency and can leave on a relatively high note instead of utter humiliation. That is, considering how much media attention there's been, the Orioles and Davis are facing a unique human relations problem.

Oh and you seem to imply that there's a certain predictable timing to when Davis raises the hopes of some hypothetically stupid fan that I'm sure doesn't exist among those who post to the OH. The career monthly figures, at least, don't show that to be the case.

I still hope April 13-May 12, 2019 was just one of several good periods he has in the remaining part of the season. But I'm not putting any money down on it, that's for sure.

I was never much of a Davis fan,  I would prefer he would at least be replacement level but I don’t think his few game of hitting better means anything His average on the season is in the shouldn’t be in the big leagues range and he never got it into a major league batter range.  As the way the team is being run I don’t think it matters what happens to Davis.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Last year it was the wall.

Maybe if he gets hurt he should go on the IL and get healthy?

On 5/14/2019 at 6:16 AM, foxfield said:

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?

After being hit his hand was feeling comfortably numb.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Your point is to try to be somewhat objective.  atomic's is to further solidify his position as board contrarian.

Archived