Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Your point is to try to be somewhat objective.  atomic's is to further solidify his position as board contrarian.

Well, I don’t disagree with atomic on Davis nearly as much as he thinks I do.    Certainly Davis’ hot streak, while much better than last year’s (which IMO didn’t really even qualify as a hot streak), doesn’t establish that he’s fixed and worthy of a roster spot.    It just buys him a little more time.    If his current 4 for 29 slump turns into 8 for 58, folks will be clamoring again to cut him.   

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I don’t disagree with atomic on Davis nearly as much as he thinks I do.    Certainly Davis’ hot streak, while much better than last year’s (which IMO didn’t really even qualify as a hot streak), doesn’t establish that he’s fixed and worthy of a roster spot.    It just buys him a little more time.    If his current 4 for 29 slump turns into 8 for 58, folks will be clamoring again to cut him.   

Here's the thing, most of us don't either, but he just can't help himself to play the martyr. My point in the OP is to point out that Davis was in his best streak since 2017 (after actually doing research and not just surmising) and that his statcast info led the team in several categories. It was not to assume that Davis was fixed by any means.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's the thing, most of don't either, but he just can't help himself to play the martyr. My point in the OP is to point out that Davis was in his best streak since 2017 (after actually doing research and not just surmising) and that his statcast info led the team in several categories. It was not to assume that Davis was fixed by any means.

We all* understood your take, for sure. 

*Well, 99% at least. 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's the thing, most of us don't either, but he just can't help himself to play the martyr. My point in the OP is to point out that Davis was in his best streak since 2017 (after actually doing research and not just surmising) and that his statcast info led the team in several categories. It was not to assume that Davis was fixed by any means.

We are on the same page here.    By the way, there was never a single day last year where Davis’ OPS was over .574, and he literally was under .500 OPS for half the days last season.     So you’d have to say Davis has been marginally better this year, peaking at .666 and still at .601 now, better than at any point last year.    

The issue is, that still sucks.     Davis is going to need to limit his cold streaks and sustain some hot streaks similar to the last one to have any chance to be above replacement value.    It’s good to know he’s actually capable of a hot streak.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We are on the same page here.    By the way, there was never a single day last year where Davis’ OPS was over .574, and he literally was under .500 OPS for half the days last season.     So you’d have to say Davis has been marginally better this year, peaking at .666 and still at .601 now, better than at any point last year.    

The issue is, that still sucks.     Davis is going to need to limit his cold streaks and sustain some hot streaks similar to the last one to have any chance to be above replacement value.    It’s good to know he’s actually capable of a hot streak.

Perhaps moving him to the cleanup spot was not a helpful move.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Perhaps moving him to the cleanup spot was not a helpful move.

Maybe it's a coincidence.  Or maybe it's the SI Cover Jinx - you play out of your mind for a few months, get put on the cover, and *surprise* you go back to playing to your normal level.

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe it's a coincidence.  Or maybe it's the SI Cover Jinx - you play out of your mind for a few months, get put on the cover, and *surprise* you go back to playing to your normal level.

Not a big believer in jinxes, but I do think batting cleanup comes with some extra pressure for Chris. It's like they stopped saying, "Keep working," and instead said, "You're back."

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Not a big believer in jinxes, but I do think batting cleanup comes with some extra pressure for Chris. It's like they stopped saying, "Keep working," and instead said, "You're back."

I think it’s the Tony Jinx.    He started this thread and Davis hit the skids.    

I didn’t even realize that Davis has hit cleanup in 5 of the last 6 games.   That’s crazy.  

I see that Davis was 0 for 3 today with three strikeouts and one walk.  For the last 7 games he has 17 SO for 27 AB (OPS=.320); for the last 15 games, 27 SO for 50 AB (OPS=.601).  It looks to me like regression back to the mean. How long will management keep sending this guy to the plate?

6 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

I see that Davis was 0 for 3 today with three strikeouts and one walk.  For the last 7 games he has 17 SO for 27 AB (OPS=.320); for the last 15 games, 27 SO for 50 AB (OPS=.601).  It looks to me like regression back to the mean. How long will management keep sending this guy to the plate?

planet-apes-ending.jpg

On 5/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, Frobby said:

I think it’s the Tony Jinx.    He started this thread and Davis hit the skids.    

I didn’t even realize that Davis has hit cleanup in 5 of the last 6 games.   That’s crazy.  

I'll own it! :D

Archived