Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Time to DFA him

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t disagree, sooner rather than later. But they’ll give it another month.

I agree.   Maybe a little longer.   

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Jon Meoli from the Sun:

Last time the Orioles left Camden Yards, Chris Davis was batting cleanup and on the cusp of raising his average above .200 for the first time in years. He is 4-for-32 with 2 walks and 20 strikeouts since then, and is batting .173.

But within that stretch there was a bonafide Jim Hunter-honored three-game hitting streak!

"4 for 32 with 2 walks"--I wouldn't put any money down on Davis hitting above the Mendoza Line this season, but I'm sure there were similar streaks even during his better years.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think he sticks all season and we work something out with him this offseason. Mount castle and Stewart are tearing it up. It would be different if Hays and Diaz were too. 

Considering all factors, Davis and Elias have both gotten pretty lucky this year. 

What would change if Diaz and Hays were also tearing it up?I

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What would change if Diaz and Hays were also tearing it up?I

Diddly squat. But factors....

Stewart and Mountcastle are hitting. Mancini has proved to be a capable OF so no need to fit him in at 1B. Trumbo is hurt. Nunez is scrubbing it up for the most part. Add Hays and Diaz having big time seasons and there might be more pressure to cut Davis. 

Right now nobody is forcing him off the roster. That’s just being out on the field. Let alone the big decision to cut that money loose. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Diddly squat. But factors....

Stewart and Mountcastle are hitting. Mancini has proved to be a capable OF so no need to fit him in at 1B. Trumbo is hurt. Nunez is scrubbing it up for the most part. Add Hays and Diaz having big time seasons and there might be more pressure to cut Davis. 

Right now nobody is forcing him off the roster. That’s just being out on the field. Let alone the big decision to cut that money loose. 

I'm confused because just a few minutes ago you said it would be different.

Also Mancini is not a capable outfielder unless Smith is your baseline.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm confused because just a few minutes ago you said it would be different.

Also Mancini is not a capable outfielder unless Smith is your baseline.

This is hyperbole, plain and simple.

He's obviously capable. Is any good when looking at defensive metrics? Nah, but many outfielders around the game aren't. Is he Trumbo? Definitely not. He's capable. He has a good arm and can make a diving/sliding catch to make up for a few balls here and there he's not fast enough to get to. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is hyperbole, plain and simple.

He's obviously capable. Is any good when looking at defensive metrics? Nah, but many outfielders around the game aren't. Is he Trumbo? Definitely not. He's capable. He has a good arm and can make a diving/sliding catch to make up for a few balls here and there he's not fast enough to get to. 

I think this boils down to semantics.   There are 132 players who have played more than 100 innings in the outfield this year.   Mancini ranks 124th among them in UZR.   Last year there were 175 players who played more than 200 innings in the outfield.   Mancini ranked 166th.   So, he’s solidly in the bottom 10% of all outfielders defensively.    I’ll leave it to you guys to decide if that meets the definition of “capable outfielder.”

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this boils down to semantics.   There are 132 players who have played more than 100 innings in the outfield this year.   Mancini ranks 124th among them in UZR.   Last year there were 175 players who played more than 200 innings in the outfield.   Mancini ranked 166th.   So, he’s solidly in the bottom 10% of all outfielders defensively.    I’ll leave it to you guys to decide if that meets the definition of “capable outfielder.”

Do you see a guy who is tripping over himself out there and throwing to the wrong base and having balls bounce off his glove? No. That would be someone who "incapable" of playing the outfield. I totally get that he's not GOOD. But in most games, he's not costing the team runs out there. 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do you see a guy who is tripping over himself out there and throwing to the wrong base and having balls bounce off his glove? No. That would be someone who "incapable" of playing the outfield. I totally get that he's not GOOD. But in most games, he's not costing the team runs out there. 

If that’s how you want to define “capable,” I’m fine with that.    I think the larger point is that it would be much preferable not to have any outfielders who are in the bottom 10% defensively.    

By the way, if you believe the stats, it’s questionable if Mancini is an upgrade over Trumbo.    I get that Mancini doesn’t look as bad out there.   But the numbers say he’s just about as bad.   

Trumbo 2016: -11 Rtot/yr, -14 Rdrs/yr, -15.5 UZR/150

Trumbo 2017: -13 Rtot/yr, -24 Rdrs/yr, -18.5 UZR/150

Mancini 2018: -18 Rtot/yr, -18 Rdrs/yr, -17.1 UZR/150

Mancini 2019: -15 Rtot/yr, -30 Rdrs/yr, -18.5 UZR/150

Note: I left off Mancini from 2016, when he was actually a little better even though he had no prior experience in the OF, and Trumbo’s from last year, when he only played 19 games out there and truly did look “incapable” by any definition (probably due to his knee condition).    

Archived