Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Too much team control left. 

I see your point.  Most decent or even bad teams would normally think about trading a cheap player as good as Mancini unless they were really stacked with players.  But these Orioles are really, really, really bad.  I think even Dan and Andy would have their hands forced.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to trade Mancini.  Relatively young, cheap, mashing.  Those are the types of players we've been whining that we don't have for years.

It's cavalier thinking that Mountcastle is going to produce in the majors and that we should just hand him a spot because..well, prospect status.  

If Mountcastle fails to produce you would still have the prospects you traded Mancini for.  The point is a) will Mancini still be around by the time the O's can seriously contend again, and b) if he is still around will he still be this good or will he be too expensive?  Replacing a player like Mancini isn't easy, but it's easier than finding good pitching prospects or infielders to load up on.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not trying to pin you down to bring this up later, I'm curious.

I'm having a hard time guessing what is value actually is.

On one hand he's a bat only right handed hitter.  On the other hand he's been pretty productive in that role two of the last three seasons.

I think Mancini's value is greatest to a team like Tampa, who could use a top 1B/DH type, who is a contender yet could every well get taken over by New York or Boston, and who doesn't want to spend a lot of money.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't you want Trumbo and Davis back?

How's that working out for the team?

Checks front office roster. 
Doesn't see Roy's name listed.

In other words, his opinion carries the same weight as yours or mine or any of us here on OH in terms of actual front office decisions.  Zero, zip, nada.

30 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

A contender like the Tampa Bay Rays could use a slugger at 1B.  What if you could trade Mancini to Tampa for two top prospects and three good ones?   A team like Tampa especially would highly value Mancini because he's cheap.  Depends who the guys are, but that's how the O's get better faster.  

The Rays had CJ  Cron at 1B last season. He hit 30 HR, OPS'd .816 and earned 2.0 rWAR. The Rays DFA'd Cron and the Twins claimed him off of waivers. They aren't giving up any prospects for Mancini. 

13 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

If Mountcastle fails to produce you would still have the prospects you traded Mancini for.  The point is a) will Mancini still be around by the time the O's can seriously contend again, and b) if he is still around will he still be this good or will he be too expensive?  Replacing a player like Mancini isn't easy, but it's easier than finding good pitching prospects or infielders to load up on.

I think Mancini has more value to us by keeping him than trading for prospects.  I think the Orioles can contend again in 3 years, perhaps 4.  Who knows if Mancini will still be producing then but he's the type I'd like to extend now.  

This is a very different conversation without the Davis conundrum.  

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Checks front office roster. 
Doesn't see Roy's name listed.

In other words, his opinion carries the same weight as yours or mine or any of us here on OH in terms of actual front office decisions.  Zero, zip, nada.

Did I say otherwise?

Not sure why you felt a need to inform me of something you knew I knew.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Mancini has more value to us by keeping him than trading for prospects.  I think the Orioles can contend again in 3 years, perhaps 4.  Who knows if Mancini will still be producing then but he's the type I'd like to extend now.  

If the only thing keeping us from contending in 3-4 years is a one-dimensional right-handed hitter, I'm pretty sure Elias will be able to find one somewhere. Trade Trey for what you can get.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do horses have to do with anything?

You trade Mancini because he isn't going to be around and affordable when the O's window opens again.  Are you looking to extend him?

I am a huge Mancini fan but I agree with you.  The Orioles MUST sell high on anyone on this current team that is anywhere close to peak performance this year.  We cannot just hold any assets at all on this roster at this point.   And with his years of control, flexibility of playing two spots and DH, age, and performance this year, you have to move Trey if you can get good prospects....just as an example, if Cleveland decides to be a buyer and chase the Twins, they could use his bat.  At least two or three of their top 10 would have to come back, say Triston McKenzie, Luis Oveido, Ethan Hankins  all in the 19-21 year prospect range and all projectable. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't want to ever pay a bat first player arb 3 money.

Archived