Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They did win 90 last year.  I don't think they are surprised by their success.

Good point, but 90 wasn't enough.  They need to be convinced who they are trading for is can help them get to 93, 95 or 100 wins.  It's unlikely a guy like Trey could do that on his own but he could be part of the difference.  And TB is just one example, of course.  If not there somewhere else.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Trey probably won't bring back a top 50 prospect, but there's point in acting like the O's should trade him for just anyone they can get for him.

Trade him for the next Trey Mancini (currently in A-ball) and an undervalued AA relief pitcher.

I love Mancini.  He is having a great year without a lot of protection in the lineup.  He is dialed in right now.

But, the O's have to trade him while he has value.  He's what?  27 years old?  He is going to be on the wrong side of 30 when this team is ready to compete.  The O's can't be giving out high dollar contracts to one-dimensional players on the wrong side of 30 to make this re-vamp work.  They are stuck with Davis.  They can't afford to be stuck with Mancini, too.  I would love to keep Mancini, but I don't see how they can.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Take Cobb with Trey and I'll take anybody.

That was the mistake they made trading Gausman.  Including an underperformer or overpaid player with Trey or any other good player would negate the return.  

7 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I love Mancini.  He is having a great year without a lot of protection in the lineup.  He is dialed in right now.

But, the O's have to trade him while he has value.  He's what?  27 years old?  He is going to be on the wrong side of 30 when this team is ready to compete.  The O's can't be giving out high dollar contracts to one-dimensional players on the wrong side of 30 to make this re-vamp work.  They are stuck with Davis.  They can't afford to be stuck with Mancini, too.  I would love to keep Mancini, but I don't see how they can.

I agree with you. I feel silly saying that I think the Orioles will make the correct decision on Trey, but I do believe under Elias they will. I’ve only been burned hundreds of times by the Orioles not doing what I thought the right move should be.

Just now, CheeryO said:

That was the mistake they made trading Gausman.  Including an underperformer or overpaid player with Trey or any other good player would negate the return.  

As fans we are disappointed in the Gausman trade but can we call it a mistake?

Ownership wanted to shed payroll.

5 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

You see it as a mistake, I thought it was a good deal. Got to get the payroll down while we stink.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is it a good problem?

It’s good anytime any Orioles asset has higher value. It might make roster choices harder, but maybe it means the can dump Davis in a trade and “only” eat $60 million. Maybe he becomes a .900 OPS guy again and has real value. That’s good. 

Im not suggesting this is likely, but the worst case scenario is the O’s having to eat his entire salary. 

Just now, LookinUp said:

It’s good anytime any Orioles asset has higher value. It might make roster choices harder, but maybe it means the can dump Davis in a trade and “only” eat $60 million. Maybe he becomes a .900 OPS guy again and has real value. That’s good. 

Im not suggesting this is likely, but the worst case scenario is the O’s having to eat his entire salary. 

I guess if Davis keeps this up for another 25 months they might get a taker.

I don't think that chance is worth him taking up a spot on the 25 and 40 man rosters.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I expect regression from  Davis from the last 21 games as pitchers readjust, but we shall see.  If he is over .700 OPS at season’s end, I will be surprised. 

If he is over .700 OPS at season's end he might win AL Comeback POY. ?

Archived