Minor League Summaries 5/15/2019

weams

By: Charles Boemmel, Jr.

www.orioleshangout.com/2019/05/16/minor-league-game-summaries-5-15-2019/

Alex Wells gave up no runs on 3 hits with 1 walk and 7 strikeouts over 7.0 innings pitched.  His quality start resulted in a no-decision as Bowie lost to Akron 5-2 in 11 innings.  He is the Orioles Hangout MiLB Player of the Day.

NORFOLK TIDES (18-19) WON 12-3 AT TOLEDO – AAA

• DJ Stewart went 3 for 4 with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBI, 1 walk and 1 stolen base.
• Tyler Herb gave up 2 runs on 7 hits with 1 walk, 7 strikeouts and 1 homerun allowed over 6.0 innings pitched to win his third game of the season.

BOWIE BAYSOX (12-26LOST 5-2 IN 11 INNINGS AT AKRON – AA

• TJ Nichting went 2 for 4 with 1 run scored, 1homerun, 2 RBI and 1 strikeout.
• Zach Muckenhirn gave up 3 runs, 2 earned, on 1 hit with 1 walk and 1 homerun allowed over 0.1 innings of relief; he was the losing pitcher.

FREDERICK KEYS (18-19) LOST 1-0 AT WILMINGTON – A (ADV.)

• Jake Ring went 1 for 3 with 1 strike out.
• Dean Kremer gave up no runs on 2 hits with 2walks and 9 strikeouts over 6.0 innings pitched; he received a no-decision.

DELMARVA SHOREBIRDS (28-8WON GAME 1 3-2 AND LOST GAME 2 4-1 AT GREENSBORO – A (LOW)

GAME 1

• Robbie Thorburn went 2 for 4 with 1 run scored, 1 homerun, 1 RBI and 1 strikeout.
• Grayson Rodriguez gave up 2 runs on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 6 over 5.0innings pitched to win his fifth game without a loss.

GAME 2

• Cadyn Grenier went 1 for 3 with 1 run scored, 1 double and 2 strikeouts.
• Ryan Conroy gave up 4 runs, 2 earned, on 6 hits with 2 walks, no strikeouts, 1 wild pitch and 1 hit batter over 3.2 innings pitched to lose his season debut. 

The minor league season seems to be turning around imo.  The first month it was our top guys struggling or hurt like Hays, Stewart, Kreamer, Sisco.  There was some bright spots as well but they seemed to be far down the line.  Now it looks like Hays is back, Kreamer is back, Sisco is hitting, Stewart is hitting, Wells and Lowether are pitching well and even Sedlock has been good for a decent amount of time.   There are a few other guys in the group as position players The only guys I am really down on are Diaz who struggled and then got hurt and Harvey who though healthy which is a plus has not be consistent in his starts.

Just now, bpilktree said:

The minor league season seems to be turning around imo.  The first month it was our top guys struggling or hurt like Hays, Stewart, Kreamer, Sisco.  There was some bright spots as well but they seemed to be far down the line.  Now it looks like Hays is back, Kreamer is back, Sisco is hitting, Stewart is hitting, Wells and Lowether are pitching well and even Sedlock has been good for a decent amount of time.   There are a few other guys in the group as position players The only guys I am really down on are Diaz who struggled and then got hurt and Harvey who though healthy which is a plus has not be consistent in his starts.

More important than the performances IMO are the profile changes, Baumann has added velocity, command, and curveball quality. Sedlock has regained some velocity and breaking ball/changeup quality. Grayson is showing advanced feel and command and a quality changeup that he didn't have before. Ofelky Peralta is showing the best control of his career and an excellent FB. Sisco looks stronger. McCoy looks stronger. Bannon has changed his weight transfer for the better. Neustrom (before going on the DL) has improved his swing. Bishop and Zimmermann have gained velocity. Harvey despite his struggles results-wise has flashed a 55 split change and has sat 95-96 in some outings. DL Hall is holding the best velocity of his career with a hugely improved slider and a resurgent curveball. Akin has t96 in most starts. Ortiz despite his struggles was sitting 95-96 in the start I saw. Drew Rom has shown advanced feel for a quality slider and changeup.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

More important than the performances IMO are the profile changes, Baumann has added velocity, command, and curveball quality. Sedlock has regained some velocity and breaking ball/changeup quality. Grayson is showing advanced feel and command and a quality changeup that he didn't have before. Ofelky Peralta is showing the best control of his career and an excellent FB. Sisco looks stronger. McCoy looks stronger. Bannon has changed his weight transfer for the better. Neustrom (before going on the DL) has improved his swing. Bishop and Zimmermann have gained velocity. Harvey despite his struggles results-wise has flashed a 55 split change and has sat 95-96 in some outings. DL Hall is holding the best velocity of his career with a hugely improved slider and a resurgent curveball. Akin has t96 in most starts. Ortiz despite his struggles was sitting 95-96 in the start I saw. Drew Rom has shown advanced feel for a quality slider and changeup.

This sure reads like a system that will make a nice jump from where they were last season even without considering that could add 1-2 top 10 (in our system) prospects from the draft and maybe more useful pieces in trades.

Just now, LookinUp said:

This sure reads like a system that will make a nice jump from where they were last season even without considering that could add 1-2 top 10 (in our system) prospects from the draft and maybe more useful pieces in trades.

Oh, I guarantee the system will rank very well nationally at the end of the season and the talking points will be the Elias turnaround. Now I love what they are doing player development-wise, but most of the talent was already there, so I think it will at least be a partially skewed narrative of near worst to one of the best. Plenty of the developments I listed aren't tied to the new regime. Some (Baumann, Harvey, and Sedlock's switch to the 4S) definitely are. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I've seen discussion of DL Hall's fastball showing velo that would be among the best from LH starters in the majors. Where would Akin be if he's getting up that high? I always remembered Akin being considered a guy who'd rely more on pitchability, not throwing gas. 

2 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I've seen discussion of DL Hall's fastball showing velo that would be among the best from LH starters in the majors. Where would Akin be if he's getting up that high? I always remembered Akin being considered a guy who'd rely more on pitchability, not throwing gas. 

He sits more 92-94, so it's more in the pack than Hall who was 94-97 in his last start. But it's at least an above average LH fastball, maybe plus. 

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Oh, I guarantee the system will rank very well nationally at the end of the season and the talking points will be the Elias turnaround. Now I love what they are doing player development-wise, but most of the talent was already there, so I think it will at least be a partially skewed narrative of near worst to one of the best. Plenty of the developments I listed aren't tied to the new regime. Some (Baumann, Harvey, and Sedlock's switch to the 4S) definitely are. 

I’m just hoping to keep guys healthy and developing.   Personally I’d be surprised if our system was ranked near the top at the end of the year.   But hopefully it will be ranked a lot higher than this year.  

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I have to admit, the bolded shocked me. This is great to hear. Would be really awesome if Hays and Diaz start producing like we hope.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have to admit, the bolded shocked me. This is great to hear. Would be really awesome if Hays and Diaz start producing like we hope.

That's not the truth, they weren't one of the worst, that was a narrative. But think about it, Hall and Grayson are likely top 50 prospect by end of year. Diaz and Mountcastle are top 100 prospects. Rutschman will be a top 25 prospect when drafted. So that's 3 top 50 prospects, and a ton of pitching depth and the negative perception not weighing it down, that's a top 10 system easy. 

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Lot of the guys we got in trades have done pretty poorly.  I am guessing the guys going up just replace the guys  going down and we stay ranked where we were. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Lot of the guys we got in trades have done pretty poorly.  I am guessing the guys going up just replace the guys  going down and we stay ranked where we were. 

Several are excelling. Bannon and Kremer look very good. Zimmerman has taken a step forward. You're right about Diaz, but there's plenty of enthusiasm about him still. We just need him on the field. 

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's not the truth, they weren't one of the worst, that was a narrative. But think about it, Hall and Grayson are likely top 50 prospect by end of year. Diaz and Mountcastle are top 100 prospects. Rutschman will be a top 25 prospect when drafted. So that's 3 top 50 prospects, and a ton of pitching depth and the negative perception not weighing it down, that's a top 10 system easy. 

Luke, you have upped your game this season as well. Your analysis has improved and your ability to convey what you see or believe is becoming top shelf. Thank you for all of your work! 

I have to think Hays is in there somewhere. To me, he’s most definitely a top 20-30 guy if he’s allowed to have a few months in the minors. He may not, but he is, in my mind, our most complete position prospect and he is an exciting player. And I truly believe he will be the most dangerous hitter in our major league lineup the day he gets back to Baltimore. Roch quoted a scout in spring training that said Hays was easily our best player. 

I can see Kremer, Akin, Knight, Baumann and maybe even McKenna knocking on the door to the top 100 by season’s end. They should certainly all be top 150 or so. McKenna is heating up, so we’ll see if he can sustain success. 

The national websites/writers will have to take notice and give some credit finally to both the current regime, as well as the previous one. The cupboard was anything but bare when Elias took over. 

Archived