vs. INDIANS, 5/16

OFFNY

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t think he was. He tried to throw Home and runner from 2nd beat throw. I don’t think he hesitated.  

I’d say he did.    He ran the runner towards 2B and then threw too late to the plate.  

Just now, orioles22 said:

True - but he didn't drive in the second run - the run scored on the throw. I can't grasp how that is correct.

Just now, Natty said:

Has anyone ever seen 2 RBIs on a fielders choice before? 

I have seen a sac fly from 2nd base. 

8 minutes ago, LA2 said:

What happened?

It's hard to even describe.   Bases loaded, one out.   A slow grounder to Alberto at 2nd.  The runner from 1st is between Alberto and the bag and he starts running him back to 1st, even though he is forced.   Then, JUST as he could tag that runner he suddenly fears the batter  will be safe at first so instead of tagging the runner he tosses to Davis at 1st -- TOO LATE.   Meanwhile the runner from 1st then can proceed to 2nd, the runner from 3rd has scored and the runner from second is racing home.   Davis looks at 2nd but sees it's too late to get the runner from first, and throws home, too late to get the runner from 2nd.

So a routine grounder to 2nd with the bases loaded and one out results in no outs, and two runs scored.   And there were no bad throws or dropped balls on the play.   Just monumental stupidity on the part of Alberto.

He was literally inches from being able to tag the runner from first but instead he rushed a throw to 1st to try unsuccessfuly to get the batter.   In fact as soon as he let it go he collided with the runner from 1st slightly.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's hard to even describe.   Bases loaded, one out.   A slow grounder to Alberto at 2nd.  The runner from 1st is between Alberto and the bag and he starts running him back to 1st, even though he is forced.   Then, JUST as he could tag that runner he suddenly fears the runner will be safe at first so instead of tagging the runner he tosses to Davis at 1st -- TOO LATE.   Meanwhile the runner from 1st then can proceed to 2nd, the runner from 3rd has scored and the runner from second is racing home.   Davis looks at 2nd but sees it's too late to get the runner from first, and throws home, too late to get the runner from 2nd.

So a routine grounder to 2nd with the bases loaded and one out results in no outs, and two runs scored.   And there were no bad throws or dropped balls on the play.   Just monumental stupidity on the part of Alberto.

He was literally inches from being able to tag the runner from first but instead he rushed a throw to 1st to try unsuccessfuly to get the runner.   In fact as soon as he let it go he collided with the runner from 1st slightly.

You'd almost have to script and rehearse that to pull it off. But a Bravo, I guess, for being such Naturals!

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It's hard to even describe.   Bases loaded, one out.   A slow grounder to Alberto at 2nd.  The runner from 1st is between Alberto and the bag and he starts running him back to 1st, even though he is forced.   Then, JUST as he could tag that runner he suddenly fears the runner will be safe at first so instead of tagging the runner he tosses to Davis at 1st -- TOO LATE.   Meanwhile the runner from 1st then can proceed to 2nd, the runner from 3rd has scored and the runner from second is racing home.   Davis looks at 2nd but sees it's too late to get the runner from first, and throws home, too late to get the runner from 2nd.

He was literally inches from being able to tag the runner from first but instead he rushed a throw to 1st to try unsuccessfuly to get the runner.   In fact as soon as he let it go he collided with the runner from 1st slightly.

Exactly....i saw it and still can’t believe it.   The runner from second was halfway between third and home while Davis was putzing with the ball...rather than checking him first and then firing it across to third...where the guy would have been toast. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I have seen a sac fly from 2nd base. 

That wouldn't be a choice by a fielder though, just a long run to a deep part of the park against a fast runner. We let the second run score due to a botched rundown. The hitter didn't get the second run home.

Archived