Am I the only one...

Remember The Alomar

...Who's going to miss Manny? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won’t have to worry about his bat anymore in the AL East but there was an affable quality about him that endeared him to me.

I don't like the Sox in any way but there was something about Manny that I really enjoyed. He seemed to always enjoy the game and went about it with an enthusiasm you don't see very often. Sure he pouted, murdered us, and was some what of a showboat, but I always enjoyed watching him play.

It's good to know that I won't have to watch him slam shots into Eutaw street any more, but deep down I'll miss seeing that bat flip, those E-7s, and of course Manny being Manny.

Good luck in L.A.

(p.s. I know I may get negative rep but it's the truth, I'll miss the guy)

...Who's going to miss Manny? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won’t have to worry about his bat anymore in the AL East but there was an affable quality about him that endeared him to me.

I don't like the Sox in any way but there was something about Manny that I really enjoyed. He seemed to always enjoy the game and went about it with an enthusiasm you don't see very often. Sure he pouted, murdered us, and was some what of a showboat, but I always enjoyed watching him play.

It's good to know that I won't have to watch him slam shots into Eutaw street any more, but deep down I'll miss seeing that bat flip, those E-7s, and of course Manny being Manny.

Good luck in L.A.

(p.s. I know I may get negative rep but it's the truth, I'll miss the guy)

I know just what you mean! I'm darn glad he's out of the AL, but he was so much fun to watch! Even more fun (ny) in left field.... an adventure on every ball hit to the left...

I'm with you guys on this one, glad he's gone but he was fun to watch. I think part of it was because you never knew what you were going to see from him, a really badly misplayed ball or throw, or high fiving a fan after making a catch (I hate that it happened in Baltimore though), or just ending up inside the Monster at a random home game.

He plays the game with the level of fun that even some little leaguers don't enjoy.

... (p.s. I know I may get negative rep but it's the truth, I'll miss the guy)

The other way around, as far as I'm concerned. I hope that I would never give anyone neg rep for expressing his thoughts courteously.

I don't have a lot of respect for Manny. I'm just glad that I won't have to watch him bumbling around in left field except when the Dodgers visit Busch next week, and I'm glad that he'll be doing it for the opposing team instead of the Cards.

We've had to endure watching Chris Duncan misplay fly balls for us, but Chris at least tries hard and he handles most of the routine plays. In fact, Bernie Miklacz of the Post Dispatch was chastising us for criticizing Duncan's fielding, pointing out that his +/- numbers were as good as any left fielder in baseball this season. (I guess you need to subscribe to the BIS service to get those; they only post leaders and trailers at the Fielding Bible website, and those only at the end of the season.)

It now turns out that Chris has been trying to play (and hit) with a herniated disc in his neck. Duh! It was obvious to anyone watching that he was struggling at the plate, but our esteemed manager chose to bench an all star outfielder (Ryan Ludwick) to give Chris more starts so that he could work through his hitting woes. For some reason, a manager who was marginal himself in playing ability seems to think that his players need to suck it up and perform regardless of their physical condition. We saw it with Rolen and Edmonds as well last year and now with Isringhausen and Wellemeyer this year, and it seems to cause a serious deterioration in the relationship between manager and player whenever he's trying to motivate his players to play through their injuries.

I love the guy....

not only is he probably one of the 5 best hitters in the last 30-40 years...but he's hilarious.

Anyone just watch his news conference?

"Things have changed man...I only hit line drives to right field now, don't expect me to come in and hit 40 home runs"

Babylon always fight down the dreadlocks man.

Earl Weaver used to talk about how teams where never as good as they appeared to be on a winning streak, and never as bad as they appeared when stuck in a losing rut. That lesson also applies here.

All this negative stuff coming out about Manny now hardly paints a fair or accurate picture of him.

When once-popular players leave Boston, there's often a stinking pile of slime from the smear campaign that follows.

JOHNNY DAMON: "Nothing surprises me about Boston. Not too many players leave there happy. It's very well documented going back to [Mike] Greenwell, [Roger] Clemens, Mo Vaughn and Nomar [Garciaparra]. "

PEDRO MARTINEZ: "Manny is a great teammate and a great human being, too,"

Whatever his shortcomings, it's my understanding that few players worked harder on their hitting than Ramirez...and he has the Hall of Fame results to show for it. To believe he's some idiot savant that's great despite not trying isn't even close to the truth.

Whatever you want to say about his defense, I'll never forget how he cut down Larry Walker at home plate to complete an inning-ending double play and preserve Boston's 1-run lead in game 3 of the 2004 World Series.

Personally, if the Orioles can't win it all this year (let's face it, it doesn't look good), than it would bring a smile to my face to see Joe Torre & Manny Ramirez back in the playoffs while the Yankees & Red Sox sit home watching the Rays.

Babylon always fight down the dreadlocks man.

Earl Weaver used to talk about how teams where never as good as they appeared to be on a winning streak, and never as bad as they appeared when stuck in a losing rut. That lesson also applies here.

All this negative stuff coming out about Manny now hardly paints a fair or accurate picture of him.

When once-popular players leave Boston, there's often a stinking pile of slime from the smear campaign that follows.

JOHNNY DAMON: "Nothing surprises me about Boston. Not too many players leave there happy. It's very well documented going back to [Mike] Greenwell, [Roger] Clemens, Mo Vaughn and Nomar [Garciaparra]. "

PEDRO MARTINEZ: "Manny is a great teammate and a great human being, too,"

Whatever his shortcomings, it's my understanding that few players worked harder on their hitting than Ramirez...and he has the Hall of Fame results to show for it. To believe he's some idiot savant that's great despite not trying isn't even close to the truth.

He is rather that. One example on dinosaurs... Manny doesn't believe they ever existed because he's never seen one...

:slytf:

Archived