O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

Oy. Westburg hit .294 last year (.279 in SEC games) with 6 HR. He struck out 69 times in 66 games (265 AB). In the brief 2020 season (16 games), he hit .317 with 2 HR and 15 Ks (66 AB). I don't know what to say other than this is not anything resembling an overslot.

We took two high strikeout, swing and miss guys from the same conference as Martin, who didn't strike out and hit .424 with more walks than strikeouts.  How many times have you asked yourself, "I wish our prospects didn't have the 'he strikes out too much and needs better control of the strike zone' label? Well, we added two guys that K a lot. Kjerstad had a 33% chase percentage. In college. How will that go when he faces pitchers throwing 5 MPH harder, with better breaking balls and command? 

• Upvote 2

I'd like to take this moment to remind you all about Moose Milligan's Ultimate Draft Strategy ™ that I came up with last year:

We should be taking pitchers every pick (Yes, I know I wanted Martin but I would have been happy with Lacy)  Every round.  On their days off, they're playing in the field.  Maybe some of them can turn out to be hitters but I'm pretty sure if you draft 40 pitchers every year you'll get one or two that'll be pretty good.

Just now, calsmanystances said:

Oy. Westburg hit .294 last year (.279 in SEC games) with 6 HR. He struck out 69 times in 66 games (265 AB). In the brief 2020 season (16 games), he hit .317 with 2 HR and 15 Ks (66 AB). I don't know what to say other than this is not anything resembling an overslot.

We took two high strikeout, swing and miss guys from the same conference as Martin, who didn't strike out and hit .424 with more walks than strikeouts.  How many times have you asked yourself, "I wish our prospects didn't have the 'he strikes out too much and needs better control of the strike zone' label? Well, we added two guys that K a lot. Kjerstad had a 33% chase percentage. In college. How will that go when he faces pitchers throwing 5 MPH harder, with better breaking balls and command? 

Logic.

Just now, lovetoaster said:

One of my favorite things about the MLB draft is the variances in rankings. On the MLB rankings, Jared Kelley is the best available player by far. But he’s only the fourth best available player in Kiley McDaniel’s rankings. 

Serious wrench thrown if someone factors signability into their ranking s

2 minutes ago, calsmanystances said:

Perhaps he’s another underslot they like? With a bunch of over slots to follow? 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are quickly running out of rounds to go overslot.

Admittedly true, but it could be from here on. Some of the college picks made after us in the comp balance round point to some of the HS guys being avoided. We might have room to scoop those guys up from here on. 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Perhaps he’s another underslot they like? With a bunch of over slots to follow? 

He’s not underslot. He’s probably right at slot. MLB had him ranked at 37 and McDaniel actually had him at 25, above Kelley. People seem to love his potential, but he’s obviously not there yet.