O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

12 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Does this pretty much eliminate us from picking Hancock?

No, but I think the team will likely be better off grabbing a bat first and then catching one of the second tier of arms with the second overall pick. Big time depth of arms this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, higgybaby said:

Does this pretty much eliminate us from picking Hancock?

As Luke said, no. It's way too early to lock anyone into the top picks.  By May we'll begin to get a sense of certainty on who the top guys are. Historically bats are safer picks than arms, so I typically prefer to draft bats early. 

Austin Martin really stands out to me. In SEC games, he hit .424. Some players run up huge stats before conference play and then their numbers take a hit when conference games start. Not Martin. He destroyed SEC pitching and I think many would argue that the SEC was the best conference in the country in 2019. As a comparison, Bleday hit .304 in SEC games (.347 overall). Martin also improved as the year went along, especially from a power perspective. We'll see how he does at SS this year (he played 3rd in 2019), but in even if he doesn't project as an everyday MLB SS, his bat, speed (22 steals as a freshman and 18 as a sophomore), strike zone judgment (40 walks 36 K's and a.486 OBP) and ability to play 3B, 2B or CF (he played CF for Team USA) have me very interested. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

Could Martin possibly go #1? I'm reading a pretty glowing report. If that's the case, does Hancock default to us?

There are no sure things at this early stage. IF Martin went #1, would could realistically speculate that Hancock (or perhaps a dozen other players) could be the pick at #2.  

6 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Barring an unexpected win streak with 6 games (or 7 by Detroit and Miami) remaining, the order appears set for the first few picks.

1. Detroit
  2. Baltimore
  3. Miami

Kansas City has mathematically secured a top 4 pick (either 3 or 4). The worst the Blue Jays can do is 99 losses and KC already has 100. The could still catch Miami with 101 losses, but even if they lost out and the Orioles won out, the O's would have the tie-breaker.

The Orioles could mathematically finish anywhere from 1-3 with two being overwhelmingly the most likely.

Detroit has secured a top two, with one being overwhelmingly the most likely.

Miami can finish 2-4, with 3 most likely, followed by 4, and 2 still possible.

• Upvote 1

With the Orioles loss and Miami's win, the Orioles magic number for clinching (at least) the #2 pick is now 1. Any Orioles loss or Miami win will clinch (at least) the number 2 pick for the Orioles.

The Tigers magic number is 3. A total of 3 Tigers losses or Orioles wins clinches the number 1 pick for the Tigers.

22 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

With the Orioles loss and Miami's win, the Orioles magic number for clinching (at least) the #2 pick is now 1. Any Orioles loss or Miami win will clinch (at least) the number 2 pick for the Orioles.

The Tigers magic number is 3. A total of 3 Tigers losses or Orioles wins clinches the number 1 pick for the Tigers.

With the Orioles win and the Tigers loss, the Tigers magic number for the #1 pick is 1. Any Orioles win or Tigers loss clinches the number 1 pick for the Tigers.

The Marlins lost and the Orioles won, so the Orioles magic number for clinching (at least) the #2 pick remains at 1. Any Orioles loss or Miami win will clinch (at least) the number 2 pick for the Orioles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The O's will be picking 2nd in Round 1. 
We'll also be receiving a Competitive Balance Round A pick, which should be in the early to mid 30's overall.
As well, our 2nd Round selection should be in the early to mid 40's overall. So, almost certainly three of the top 50 prospects. Sweet.

I'll update the specific slots as they are determined. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Greg Pappas said:

The O's will be picking 2nd in Round 1. 
We'll also be receiving a Competitive Balance Round A pick, which should be in the early to mid 30's overall.
As well, our 2nd Round selection should be in the early to mid 40's overall. So, almost certainly three of the top 50 prospects. Sweet.

I'll update the specific slots as they are determined. 

I say take all bats with the top picks. Grow the bats. Buy the arms.