Keon Broxton acquired and more (DFA Broxton- Claimed by Mariners))

Legend_Of_Joey

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The bar is low.

1.   Is he a real CF, as opposed to someone pretending to play the position?    Yes.

2.   Can he hit better than Mullins’ .094/.181/.156?   Undoubtedly.

3.   Can he hit better than Rickard’s .203/.304/.347?    I’m not sure, but he’s probably enough of a defensive upgrade to be more useful than Rickard even if he doesn’t outhit him.   

As to point 1, I mean no disrespect to Stevie Wilkerson.    He was put in an unfair position and has done a credible job considering his lack of experience in CF and as an OF in general.    

If it were me, I'd keep trotting Stevie out there.  No, he's not Paul Blair but he's learning and seems to be getting better.  Plus he can hit a little bit.  

K-BROX is an upgrade with the glove, not with the bat.  How much better is he with the glove?  Guess we'll find out.  Not sure if it's enough to make a huge difference.  

Either way, Stevie has shown he can provide value, I hope they find a way to keep getting him playing time to see if he can keep hitting.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

In 10 innings.   Don't even go there.  They sit him for 10 days and then expect him to be sharp.   

LMAOOOOOO wildcard, you're saying it's a small sample size?!?!?!??!!? This is hysterical coming from you.  You're the small sample size king.

He had a 5.92 ERA last year.  I am not sure what you were expecting.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

LMAOOOOOO wildcard, you're saying it's a small sample size?!?!?!??!!? This is hysterical coming from you.  You're the small sample size king.

He had a 5.92 ERA last year.  I am not sure what you were expecting.  

So what is about Shephard that makes him better?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So what is about Shephard that makes him better?

Shepherd isn’t necessarily better, but he’s different. When a guy is bad, send him down or send him away and try somebody else. That new person may also be bad so you send him down or send him away and try somebody else.

Just now, Philip said:

Shepherd isn’t necessarily better, but he’s different. When a guy is bad, send him down or send him away and try somebody else. That new person may also be bad so you send him down or send him away and try somebody else.

Great plan????     How about giving the first guy at really chance.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Guess we'll find out!  Are you telling me you've got a soft spot for Yefry Ramirez?  

Ramirez did well and AA and at AAA.   The new regime was supposed to be about giving guys chances.   I  don't think he got much of a shot this season.  

If someone could tell me why Shepherd is better maybe I could get on board with that.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ramirez did well and AA and at AAA.   The new regime was supposed to be about giving guys chances.   I  don't think he got much of a shot this season.  

If someone could tell me why Shepherd is better maybe I could get on board with that.

Awwww, you've got a little man crush on Yefry!!!  Kinda adorable, wildcard.  

I gotta say, he didn't have the best stuff.  You have to be able to look at their stuff and it wasn't great.  Maybe it's great for AA, maybe it's good for AAA...but he hasn't flashed anything in the majors, this year or last year.  

I'll grant you might be right that he didn't get a great chance this year but if we're trusting Elias and don't have all the exposure to the advanced analytics that Elias does...well, maybe there's some information there that played into the decision.  

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don’t disagree, but the Powers have seen as much as they wanted to see. I don’t know why they gave Mike Wright 3 years and Drew Jackson 3 ABs, and I question a lot of moves and non-moves.

However, the idea of “give him a chance and then move on to the next guy” is entirely valid, and they aren’t making changes on a whim. They have their reasons even if we don’t agree.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How about separating the wheat from the chaff with all due haste?  I get the feeling that Mike Elias is a man in a hurry when it comes to building the foundation for putting the team on the right course.  

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Awwww, you've got a little man crush on Yefry!!!  Kinda adorable, wildcard.  

I gotta say, he didn't have the best stuff.  You have to be able to look at their stuff and it wasn't great.  Maybe it's great for AA, maybe it's good for AAA...but he hasn't flashed anything in the majors, this year or last year.  

I'll grant you might be right that he didn't get a great chance this year but if we're trusting Elias and don't have all the exposure to the advanced analytics that Elias does...well, maybe there's some information there that played into the decision.  

As a fan I can control  one thing.  Whether I watch or not.   I am not going to watch Hess and Straily.   Why should I.  I would watch Ramirez because I have not seen enough to know how good or bad he will be.

I will watch Broxton for a while to see how good he is.  

If Elias cares about having a watchable team he has to give the fans base something to look at.   He has reached the point where Hess and Straily are not worth watching.  DFAing Ramirez didn't help.

Hyde stating in the presser "What can I do?  This is all I have."  is not a good way to keep the fan base watching.

Archived