Cashner Wants to Stay in Baltimore

TonySoprano

“I wish I had a no-trade clause,” Cashner said. “But it’s all part of where you’re at (in your career). And, I think, once something comes (on the trade front), I’ll have to sit down with my family and decide what’s best for me.”

Sticking with the complicated theme here, Cashner isn’t saying he’d absolutely walk away from several million dollars and the game for a couple months if the Orioles attempted to trade him — which would be his only recourse since he doesn’t have 10-5 veto rights (10 years of service, five years with his current club).

But he is saying it’s something he’d at least consider if he didn’t like the situation he might encounter with a new team. Theoretically, he could refuse a trade, head home to Texas in July, and look for a new team of his choosing next offseason.

It’s not a threat; it’s simply a possibility.

“I haven’t thought about it too much. At the end of the day, I kind of control what I want to do. Whether I want to go, whether I want to stay,” Cashner said. “I’d just have to sit down with my family and find out what’s best for us.”

“I think it really sucks that we’re losing, No. 1. But I think it’s also one of those things you kind of expect that there’s going to be some growing pains with a young team that is going to make mistakes,” Cashner said. “But, for me, I’m really enjoying our coaching staff and I enjoy all the guys in the locker room. So, I think, for me, it’s just about enjoying each day because you never know when it is going to end.”

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cashner keeps pitching the way he is pitching he will earn more than 5m in August and Sept.    That is pretty hard to walk away from.  Then add that he gets to go to a contender.   I doubt he refuses a trade.

I'd be curious what would be a situation he didn't like.  It's good he likes his coaches/teamates, but I'd imagine the atmosphere is better on a team fighting for the playoffs.  There is always more to consider, but it's also a walk year.  Would be be worth it to sit for a few months?  Would he make even less next year if he pulled a move like that?  It has a Adam Jones feel without the 10/5 level. 

Considering Givens has been up and down, he is likely our best trade asset as of 24MAY or at least likeliest to bring something back.  I wonder if we didn't trade him if he'd agree to a lesser 1 year extension with a no-trade clause.  I know he isn't a world beater, but he's better than a lot of 4th/5th types we've been running out here.  Add a year at 5 million, add a no trade clause and have an innings eater for another year?  It's not super ideal, but it's not like he's blocking 5 candidates for next years rotation.  Not a huge $$ to change Elias 2020 payroll, so it could work for both sides.

Clearly, it would add depend on how much he wants to stay.

It seems like he has a great attitude and has pitched pretty well this year. If we could actually get something of value for him, you have to make a move, but I wouldn't mind him being part of the rotation the next two years before most of the reinforcements get here.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Cashner keeps pitching the way he is pitching he will earn more than 5m in August and Sept.    That is pretty hard to walk away from.  Then add that he gets to go to a contender.   I doubt he refuses a trade.

If you have already made $36 million is another $5 million really going to affect your life one way or the other?

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

If you have already made $36 million is another $5 million really going to affect your life one way or the other?

I don't think anyone, anywhere, turns down 5 million no matter how much they already have.  I understand the spirit of your question but at the same time, I highly doubt anyone would go "Nah, I already made 36, I don't need 5 more."

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Just like with Adam Jones last season exercising his contractual rights, sometimes fans forget that baseball players are people too and not just cogs in a machine.

People who sign incredibly lucrative contracts and get treated like royalty. This is not Adam Jones abiding by his contract. This is a player saying he may break his contract. 

I really don't know what to make of this. I'm conflicted because I've never heard a player in his situation say something like that. From a team perspective, it can't be good to hear a guy basically threaten to go home if he doesn't like where he's traded, especially for a team that needs to be able to maximize his trade value.

On the other hand, here's a guy who likes the current situation and that says something about the coaching staff. 

Just a really weird situation here. Regardless, I hope he keep pitching well and they can move him for something of future value.

Archived