Cashner Wants to Stay in Baltimore

TonySoprano

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

It seems like he has a great attitude and has pitched pretty well this year. If we could actually get something of value for him, you have to make a move, but I wouldn't mind him being part of the rotation the next two years before most of the reinforcements get here.

I agree with you. Anyone that wants to stay in Baltimore should count for something. IMO 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm just surprised that legacy doesn't mean more to these guys. And that's commendable !!! As a fan though, I want Jones to get that ring because he deserves it, etc.

Anyway, good for Cashner. And it's good that we seem to have a nice workplace here. 

o

Winning championships is not the only form of legacy that there is for players. As I stated earlier, Melvin Mora's legacy (for people like myself) is that he was going to stay an Oriole for as long as he possibly could, for better or for worse. 

Juwan Howard once stated that the legacy of the Fab Five from the University of Michigan is that THAT is what people remember first and foremost about him ........ not that he had a solid, 19-year career as an All-Star NBA player ........ not that he won a world championship late in his career as a teammate of LeBron James ........ but that he was a member of Michigan's Fab Five team that made it to back-to-back national championship games as Freshman and Sophomores in the 1991-92 and 1992-93 seasons, respectively. And people are still talking about that, and making documentaries about it.

o

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree with you. Anyone that wants to stay in Baltimore should count for something. IMO 

Any Oriole who wants to stay in Baltimore should be released immediately and have their head examined. They obviously have a very tenuous connection to reality.

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is nice to hear from him, but... dude, go win a ring. You don't have many more shots. In fact, it's in all likelihood your last shot. 

Maybe a chance winning  a WS Ring is not the most thing for him. Maybe he is happy with his life in Baltimore. Who knows?  I’m just speculating. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe a chance winning  a WS Ring is not the most thing for him. Maybe he is happy with his life in Baltimore. Who knows?  I’m just speculating. 

Sure, I think that's clear. I'm not knocking the guy for it at all. I just default to wanting good things for soon-to-be-ex-Orioles. But ultimately, whatever makes him happy. 

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Any Oriole who wants to stay in Baltimore should be released immediately and have their head examined. They obviously have a very tenuous connection to reality.

This is sarcasm, but actually has a bit of merit that is most easily summed up by asking a simple question. If you don't want to come to my team, why would I want to trade for you?

If your your family is in MD and it pains you to leave them, is your head going to be in the right place when I bring you to Cleveland? If you prefer the comfort of Baltimore's current clubhouse, how will you fare in a more intense clubhouse? If you thrive without pressure in a losing environment, am I comfortable putting you in the ALDS in Boston? 

All of the points about liking a guy who like it here are perfectly reasonable, they're just not consistent with the stated goal by many on this site (like me) who want to use our trade chips from a bad team to build our system depth in hopes of creating a great team in a few years.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

The sentiment of wanting to remain with the Orioles while they are a bad team is also reminiscent of Melvin Mora's situation in the latter portion of his tenure with the team ........ Mora, for his own reasons, truly liked playing for the Orioles ........ no matter how bad the team was. The Orioles' front office never even bothered to try to trade him when his value was high because he had a no-trade clause, and they KNEW that he would have exorcised that clause if they tried to. From everything that I can remember, Mora made it known that he would have done so, even if the trade proposal was to a 1st-place team. Indeed, just the fact that he insisted that a no-trade clause be inserted into his contract in the first place while playing for a team that was so bad during his tenure with them would tend to attest to that.

Mora had his reasons for wanting to stay with the Orioles, Adam Jones had his, and now Cashner has his. 

Any player that insists on staying an Oriole ........ for whatever reason(s) ........  is fine with me.

o

I like hearing it.   There’s a pretty big difference though between a guy who has been on the team for a decade and one who’s been here a little more than a year.   Both Jones and Mora were pretty deeply rooted in the community.

46 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree. But unless the player is a complete turd like Aubrey Huff, very few players will openly insult the city they say the play for. 

I thought Cashner was done and slightly surprised he has pitched this well.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The sentiment of wanting to remain with the Orioles while they are a bad team is also reminiscent of Melvin Mora's situation in the latter portion of his tenure with the team ........ Mora, for his own reasons, truly liked playing for the Orioles ........ no matter how bad the team was. The Orioles' front office never even bothered to try to trade him when his value was high because he had a no-trade clause, and they KNEW that he would have exorcised that clause if they tried to. From everything that I can remember, Mora made it known that he would have done so, even if the trade proposal was to a 1st-place team. Indeed, just the fact that he insisted that a no-trade clause be inserted into his contract in the first place while playing for a team that was so bad during his tenure with them would tend to attest to that.

Mora had his reasons for wanting to stay with the Orioles, Adam Jones had his, and now Cashner has his. 

Any player that insists on staying an Oriole ........ for whatever reason(s) ........  is fine with me.

o

o

Another thing that I like about Cashner is something that caught my eye during a game last year. Cashner was not pitching that day, and one of his teammates had just hit a home run to increase what was already a big lead for the Orioles. On an off-day ........ playing for a team that was about 97 games out of 1st place ........ Cashner was triumphantly raising his fists in the air while the Orioles base-runners were jogging around the basepaths. He reminded me of a die-hard fan who simply loves to win and hates to lose, regardless of what the team's position in the standings is, and/or what their chances are for making the post-season.

Perhaps that is not unusual for players on historically bad teams ........ perhaps a lot of players on said teams do that ........ I just haven't seen or noticed it very often, like I did that day with Cashner.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Another thing that I like about Cashner is something that caught my eye during a game last year. Cashner was not pitching that day, and one of his teammates had just hit a home run to increase what was already a big lead for the Orioles. On an off-day ........ playing for a team that was about 97 games out of 1st place ........ Cashner was triumphantly raising his fists in the air while the Orioles base-runners were jogging around the basepaths. He reminded me of a die-hard fan who simply loves to win and hates to lose, regardless of what the team's position in the standings is, and/or what their chances are for making the post-season.

Perhaps that is not unusual for players on historically bad teams ........ perhaps a lot players on said teams do that ........ I just haven't seen or noticed it very often, like I did that day with Cashner.

o

I'm not in the clubhouse but Cashner and Alberto seem to be the two guys who most enjoy seeing other players succeed. Cool to watch. 

58 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Winning championships is not the only form of legacy that there is for players. As I stated earlier, Melvin Mora's legacy (for people like myself) is that he was going to stay an Oriole for as long as he possibly could, for better or for worse. 

Juwan Howard once stated that the legacy of the Fab Five from the University of Michigan is that THAT is what people remember first and foremost about him ........ not that he had a solid, 19-year career as an All-Star NBA player ........ not that he won a world championship late in his career as a teammate of LeBron James ........ but that he was a member of Michigan's Fab Five team that made it to back-to-back national championship games as Freshman and Sophomores in the 1991-92 and 1992-93 seasons, respectively. And people are still talking about that, and making documentaries about it.

o

The only thing I remember about the Michigan fab 5 was Chris Webber calling a timeout when he had none and blowing the game. Other than that I remember Webber and Howard as teammates for the Bullets. 

41 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This is sarcasm, but actually has a bit of merit that is most easily summed up by asking a simple question. If you don't want to come to my team, why would I want to trade for you?

If your your family is in MD and it pains you to leave them, is your head going to be in the right place when I bring you to Cleveland? If you prefer the comfort of Baltimore's current clubhouse, how will you fare in a more intense clubhouse? If you thrive without pressure in a losing environment, am I comfortable putting you in the ALDS in Boston? 

All of the points about liking a guy who like it here are perfectly reasonable, they're just not consistent with the stated goal by many on this site (like me) who want to use our trade chips from a bad team to build our system depth in hopes of creating a great team in a few years.

It's not sarcasm. Any veteran ballplayer who wants to stay on a rebuilding team with which he has little history or ties to the community should hang 'em up. They've lost the competitive edge that made them a ballplayer to begin with. Cashner is crazy. He should go home.

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Perhaps that is not unusual for players on historically bad teams ........ perhaps a lot players on said teams do that ........ I just haven't seen or noticed it very often, like I did that day with Cashner.

o

I agree.  I have seen this all the time from Cashner.  He sits in the dugout and has a good time with his team every game, and even on his pitching days he interacts with them, rather than sitting by himself on the end of the dugout.  I really like the guy, and I wouldn't mind giving him another two years here while we rebuild, but if we can get something for him, we need to do the trade and resign process with him.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's not sarcasm. Any veteran ballplayer who wants to stay on a rebuilding team with which he has little history or ties to the community should hang 'em up. They've lost the competitive edge that made them a ballplayer to begin with. Cashner is crazy. He should go home.

Or, like, maybe he's a human being and actually enjoys where he is playing?  

Can we ever stop being critical of people?  He's the best pitcher on this team, so even in his "loss of competitive edge" he's still wiping the floor with the rest of the staff, with the possible exception of Means. 

Archived