A couple of thoughts about our current catchers and Adley Rutschman

Frobby

If we take Rutschman (highly likely) and he comes as advertised (very likely), it seems to me he'd be here at some point in 2021, but certainly by 2022. 
Severino has impressed in his short stint with us, and as Frobby said, maybe he or an instructor has figured out something with the bat.
Severino's development with the bat versus Sisco's development with the glove could potentially determine the starter--- until Rut's arrival.
Regardless of Severino's bat, he seems to be a quality defender, and that will earn a starting role on this team, unless Sisco can become at least average behind the plate. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too slow, I think.   

I kinda thought maybe he was a little quicker than you would have junk because he is pretty lithe.  However, checked sprint speed and he is slower than Davis.  Guess you are right. 

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I kinda thought maybe he was a little quicker than you would have junk because he is pretty lithe.  However, checked sprint speed and he is slower than Davis.  Guess you are right. 

If Sisco can't cut it as a catcher and doesn't hit enough to hold down first base, it seems to me the logical move to consider would be to third base. (The roles of second and third base as offensive/defensive positions in effect switched over time as field bunts became less important and turning the DP became more important.) Brooks was not a fast runner, and he was a pretty good third baseman. :notworthy:  Sisco might speed up a little if you get him out from behind the plate. The questions would be whether he has the reactions and the arm strength for trying third base to make sense.

On the other hand, if he's really slow and can't throw, there may be a place for him in the outfield, but only for the Orioles.

I would hope that Elias has a plan to keep him fresh like playing him at 1B and DH more often giving Sisco more opportunities at C. Sisco could also DH or play another position as others have posted. I also wish Mountcastle could play a little corner outfield to help with the situation.

This would calm some of the concerns for people who are complaining that catchers wear out too fast and that's why he shouldn't be the number 1 pick.

Also the Astros did seem to be okay with having guys play varying positions (at least earlier on in the rebuild), but that might have been because they had Marwin Gonzalez.

Its all still hypothetical at the moment and who knows what could happen.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Brian Roberts had eight of his 97 career homers in April of 2005.  That may have been the year he tried PEDs just that one time.

Not according to his account.   His one admitted use took place before then.

22 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

If Sisco can't cut it as a catcher and doesn't hit enough to hold down first base, it seems to me the logical move to consider would be to third base. (The roles of second and third base as offensive/defensive positions in effect switched over time as field bunts became less important and turning the DP became more important.) Brooks was not a fast runner, and he was a pretty good third baseman. :notworthy:  Sisco might speed up a little if you get him out from behind the plate. The questions would be whether he has the reactions and the arm strength for trying third base to make sense.

On the other hand, if he's really slow and can't throw, there may be a place for him in the outfield, but only for the Orioles.

I think the premise that he can’t cut it at catcher is flatly wrong.   He’s more than adequate back there based on every metric I can find.   Below average for a major leaguer, but by no means at a level where he couldn’t start for a major league team.  

Have a look at this link and click the “catching” tab.   BP has Sisco on pace to be 3 runs below average for the full year.   Last year he was 5.6 below average in the majors and minors combined.    That’s trivial in the grand scheme of things.  https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/102743/chance-sisco

Bottom line, if his major league hitting eventually resembles his minor league hitting, he’s easily good enough to start in the majors at catcher, much less be a backup.   But will he get that opportunity?    It’s not looking like it.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the premise that he can’t cut it at catcher is flatly wrong.   He’s more than adequate back there based on every metric I can find.   Below average for a major leaguer, but by no means at a level where he couldn’t start for a major league team.  

Have a look at this link and click the “catching” tab.   BP has Sisco on pace to be 3 runs below average for the full year.   Last year he was 5.6 below average in the majors and minors combined.    That’s trivial in the grand scheme of things.  https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/102743/chance-sisco

Bottom line, if his major league hitting eventually resembles his minor league hitting, he’s easily good enough to start in the majors at catcher, much less be a backup.   But will he get that opportunity?    It’s not looking like it.   

Either Elias or Hyde recently mentioned Sisco as someone they want to see in Baltimore soon,  so he will be getting a cha...Erm, opportunity at some point. 

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think Sisco was just a bad pick based on a flawed drafting philosophy.

”Defense? Who cares about defense? He can hit!”

Sisco had only been a catcher for one season when he was drafted.  You think you can definitively project his defensive ceiling from that?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sisco had only been a catcher for one season when he was drafted.  You think you can definitively project his defensive ceiling from that?

Dan couldn’t, apparently...but that just proves my point. Defense wasn’t a concern when they drafted him, or Mountcastle either. And then they flipped the logic when drafting Cayden Grenier, who byball accounts is a great SS with no bat.

”la comedia es stupenda!”

Posey was drafted in 2008 and made it to San Francisco by the end of 2009.

I think that was when it took guys longer to get started/signed and to the minors. If Rutschman signs pretty early, couldn't he get a month or two in at Frederick and be ready some time in 2020 if he's as good as everyone says?

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Posey was drafted in 2008 and made it to San Francisco by the end of 2009.

I think that was when it took guys longer to get started/signed and to the minors. If Rutschman signs pretty early, couldn't he get a month or two in at Frederick and be ready some time in 2020 if he's as good as everyone says?

I had this thought yesterday and was about to post something similar but didn't feel like reading buzzkill replies.

Draft Rutschman, get him to Baltimore after whatever the date the playing clock time passes in 2020.  

Drafting Rutchsman also has impact on the other catchers in the minors. Do they trade Sucre and bump people up to cover his spot in Norfolk, since they have 3 catchers in Bowie? 

Do they test Cervenka and/or Cumberland in Norfolk to see what they can do, since both are Rule 5 eligible?

Do they move Ben Brezeale from behind the plate and let his bat carry him, while Adley starts off in Delmarva?

Archived