Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

88.37% of the posters who voted are thrilled tonight.   Hopefully the other 11.63% are at least satisfied that we didn’t do anything stupid.  

Pre-draft, about everywhere you looked, it was Rutschman-Witt-Vaughn in that order.  No one should fault the Orioles for the decision no matter how it turns out.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont want him to wash out.

I hope we dont have 4,000 threads in the next few years, crying that we picked the wrong guy.

Or a watered down version of the same thing if Rutschman becomes a good, maybe even great player, but Witt does a little better.  If Rutschman comes up and delivers a meaningful level, that really should be enough for people not to sit around crying because they still want more and just can't be happy with what they've got.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not to be a bummer, but with every draft I'm reminded that the Orioles have been historically terrible at keeping their good homegrown players. So here's hoping the Elias regime does a little bit better job of that. 

This is beyond Elias, and up at the ownership.

We have no clue, on how the boys will respond.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

This is beyond Elias, and up at the ownership.

We have no clue, on how the boys will respond.

The main thing is to be more aggressive earlier in players’ careers.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The main thing is to be more aggressive earlier in players’ careers.    

That would be my approach, a bit early in the Elias era to see how they will do things.

But, again, I believe ownership has a say in some of that, depending on the $$$ involved.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not to be a bummer, but with every draft I'm reminded that the Orioles have been historically terrible at keeping their good homegrown players. So here's hoping the Elias regime does a little bit better job of that. 

I wouldn't say terrible. We extended Jones and Davis (to the point of outbidding ourselves), and QO'ed Wieters. Not that the latter two were good decisions, but we did keep them. I don't believe we ever had a shot at Manny.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't say terrible. We extended Jones and Davis (to the point of outbidding ourselves), and QO'ed Wieters. Not that the latter two were good decisions, but we did keep them. I don't believe we ever had a shot at Manny.

Probably not, but the ownership at the time, if you believe the media wasn't really interesting in trying to have a conversation with Manny and his agent to even discuss numbers.

Some of the moves, like Ed-Rod to Boston for Miller, doesn't sit well with some fans, but some of us, think it was a good move, it almost got them a WS visit.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And if you want to go back further, we held onto Roberts and Mora as well. Mussina and Machado are the only major homegrown players who we failed to keep in the Angelos era, right? I'm blanking on any other names. 

10 minutes ago, Andtothewall said:

And if you want to go back further, we held onto Roberts and Mora as well. Mussina and Machado are the only major homegrown players who we failed to keep in the Angelos era, right? I'm blanking on any other names. 

They kept Mussina the first time.  He was a free agent after the '97 season and he resigned for three years at way below market value, so much so I think the player's union criticized him for it.  

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Plus they extended Markakis.  Lol, that's two days in a row where people forgot about the existence of Nick Markakis.  xD

1 minute ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

They kept Mussina the first time.  He was a free agent after the '97 season and he resigned for three years at way below market value, so much so I think the player's union criticized him for it.  

I thought they criticized him for signing the 1 year deal, that Peter promised if he did, he would reward him and Peter didnt

Archived