weams

2019 Orioles Draft Tracker

• Plus Member

So we were able to sign him for 5000 / 147900 =  3% of his slot allotment?

Is Elias some kind of wizard?   Or does the kid have wealthy parents or something?     3% of slot seems crazy.......although I'm glad it certainly benefits us towards signing the higher picks.

• Plus Member
57 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So we were able to sign him for 5000 / 147900 =  3% of his slot allotment?

Is Elias some kind of wizard?   Or does the kid have wealthy parents or something?     3% of slot seems crazy.......although I'm glad it certainly benefits us towards signing the higher picks.

Senior sign, so he’s got no better alternative if he wants to play baseball.   I’m sure the O’s knew he’d be cheap when they drafted him.

• Upvote 1

• Plus Member
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Senior sign, so he’s got no better alternative if he wants to play baseball.   I’m sure the O’s knew he’d be cheap when they drafted him.

But, at least from what I have noticed, 10K appears to be the norm for these types of deals.  Just seems odd to me that they would go even lower.  I figured for the most part they send a guy out with the contract for 10K already filled out.

• Plus Member
59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But, at least from what I have noticed, 10K appears to be the norm for these types of deals.  Just seems odd to me that they would go even lower.  I figured for the most part they send a guy out with the contract for 10K already filled out.

Here are our 9th and 10th rounders from last year:

9.   Kevin Magee ($149,900)                   $6,000                 $143,000                   265
10. Dallas Litscher ($140,600)                $7,500                 $133,100                  295

And from 2017:

8. Jimmy Murphy - RHP- Fordham $152,700  $5,000 $147,700 248
9. T.J. Nichting - OF - UNC-Charlotte $139,300  $5,000 $134,300 278
  • Upvote 1

• Plus Member
52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah $10K is the standard and the extra $5K means a lot more to one side than the other. Unless something came up on the physical, I'm not a fan of squeezing an extra $5K out of a player who will in all likelihood never make even $2,000 a month playing baseball.

• Plus Member
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah $10K is the standard and the extra $5K means a lot more to one side than the other. Unless something came up on the physical, I'm not a fan of squeezing an extra $5K out of a player who will in all likelihood never make even $2,000 a month playing baseball.

I'm not obsessive enough to track guys like this.  I wonder how many of them just play ball for the summer and go on with the rest of their lives after one season of pro ball? 

• Plus Member
42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not obsessive enough to track guys like this.  I wonder how many of them just play ball for the summer and go on with the rest of their lives after one season of pro ball? 

I'd wager that, or something very similar like never even reporting, is relatively common. 

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Austin Wynns was a 10th rd pick that signed for 10k.  Tyler Wilson was a 10th rd pick that signed for 20k.