2019 Orioles Draft Tracker

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they will.  Have they ever before?

Not before, but I think there is a new group in town, or something.

It would be sad to lose out for a few hundred thousand on some kid just to be stubborn.

But we are Orioles fans, so we prepare for the worst....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Not before, but I think there is a new group in town, or something.

It would be sad to lose out for a few hundred thousand on some kid just to be stubborn.

But we are Orioles fans, so we prepare for the worst....

I've seen no indications that the current ownership is interested in spending heavily on anything.

Just now, WalkWithElias said:

We do have quite a large sample size. An abbreviated offseason and....... yeah. We really have no evidence to make this statement. 

They instructed Dan to to accept less talent in return for dumping salary.

They spent very little on International players.

The team didn't even spend 1M on any additions to the ML team.

Every data point we have points to it.

Would you like to show me evidence supporting the idea that they want to spend heavily on the draft?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you like to show me evidence supporting the idea that they want to spend heavily on the draft?

Well, the signing period ends July 15th now right? How about we see what happens.  They said they weren't spending on FA and weren't forcing International this late.  

In two-ish weeks you'll know one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Well, the signing period ends July 15th now right? How about we see what happens.  They said they weren't spending on FA and weren't forcing International this late.  

In two-ish weeks you'll know one way or the other.

Probably earlier.

As for the see what happens stuff?  I was just referring to someone else suggesting that the O's are going to exceed their allotment.  I wasn't suggesting that they won't spend their allotment.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably earlier.

As for the see what happens stuff?  I was just referring to someone else suggesting that the O's are going to exceed their allotment.  I wasn't suggesting that they won't spend their allotment.

Fair, I just mean between international (at least July 2) and rule 4 draft we'll know if the spending is coming.  This is where they should be spending more in a rebuild.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where is your evidence that ownership instructed Dan to accept less talent in exchange for dumping salary?    Seems to me that’s pure supposition on your part.   But if you’ve seen a report to that effect, let’s see it.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where is your evidence that ownership instructed Dan to accept less talent in exchange for dumping salary?    Seems to me that’s pure supposition on your part.   But if you’ve seen a report to that effect, let’s see it.  

I certainly remember reading a report of them being pleased he dumped the salary.  That was back when it was looking like Dan might keep his job.  But I will admit that report caused me to assume Dan was being directed to lower payroll instead of him choosing to dump salary instead of maximizing talent.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I certainly remember reading a report of them being pleased he dumped the salary.  That was back when it was looking like Dan might keep his job.  But I will admit that report caused me to assume Dan was being directed to lower payroll instead of him choosing to dump salary instead of maximizing talent.

If minimizing payroll was the priority instead of maximizing talent, then they probably wouldn't have picked up Villar who was already arbitration eligible. He's not super expensive (definitely less than Schoop) but also not really cheap for a rebuilding team trying to cut payroll. 

7 hours ago, Darkhawk said:

If minimizing payroll was the priority instead of maximizing talent, then they probably wouldn't have picked up Villar who was already arbitration eligible. He's not super expensive (definitely less than Schoop) but also not really cheap for a rebuilding team trying to cut payroll. 

Milwaukee also may have insisted that Villar be part of the trade.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ok. So you've admitted you have no evidence DD was instructed to dump salary. They were happy he unloaded some bigger contracts. I agree the guess their satisfaction is probably a sign there was guidance, but we don't know that. Frankly, they were spending a lot of money for the worst team in baseball and wanting to unload those contracts. 

As has been discussed on here, with you, by many people, many times... the man they hired to make baseball decisions has elected to not spend big on international free agents because there are none he feels he would be able to sign for an acceptable offer. We were never going to get VV without a massive overpay and Elias did not think that was worth it. The team has no relationship with the top international talent and therefore a slim chance of signing them. Despite this, we're probably going to see the most money spent on international free agents in team history on July 2 the way it's been previewed. And we also know our DSL teams are better than they've ever been, while also being younger. So, it appears there was some investment at a low level which was attainable in a short timeline. 

We didn't spend on the main roster for this season. Did we expect that? Was that ownerships decision? Or was that exactly what we knew we were getting when hiring Elias to run the franchise. I don't think The Angelos Brothers are spending a lot of time combing free agency this offseason. Elias' plan was to tank this season and he did. You don't spend money when you tank a season. 

To your last point, I made no statement that I think they are going to spend heavily on the draft. I stated you had no evidence that ownership wasn't interested in spending heavily on anything. 

In the end, I think the only players that won't sign are the handful of HS players taken at the end of the draft.  The few remaining college players will sign, Gunnar Henderson will sign.  If Elias can ink one of the HS players at the end of this draft in addition, it would be a huge steal, and a wonderful overall draft.

1 minute ago, WalkWithElias said:

To your last point, I made no statement that I think they are going to spend heavily on the draft. I stated you had no evidence that ownership wasn't interested in spending heavily on anything. 

You didn't, Aceking did.  I was replying to him and you jumped in.

I was just circling back to my prior point.