Should Baseball Have The Franchise Tag Or Max Contracts?

ORIOLE33

54 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But getting the union to agree to any type of cap would be very, very difficult.

It would be very difficult to get the union to agree to something like a $140M cap, full stop.

I think it would be relatively easy to get them to agree to a cap that was paired with a guaranteed minimum of 47% of revenues going to payroll and free agency after three years.  For example.  You just have to give as much or more than you take.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Was Duquette even involved in the Chris David contract talks? I think that was the owner negotiating directly with Boras.  

It was. Duquette told Boras that the Orioles were out. Boras got Peter back in. Peter was an extremely poor owner. But Baltimore is no jewel. 

Just now, weams said:

It was. Duquette told Boras that the Orioles were out. Boras got Peter back in. Peter was an extremely poor owner. But Baltimore is no jewel. 

What is Peter's current status as owner, has he officially transitioned out? Lol for some reason my mind seems to have blocked out most of the last year 

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Although it's not a hard cap, there is essentially a hard cap that no team is going to cross. I believe it's $248M where you incur the max penalty.

That's kind of like the hard floor they have in place at about $14M.  I think when people envision floors and caps they mean something like $80M and $150M.  In other words, things that appear to be exceptionally unlikely.

4 minutes ago, 99ct said:

What is Peter's current status as owner, has he officially transitioned out? Lol for some reason my mind seems to have blocked out most of the last year 

Peter is not well enough to have any role. 

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's kind of like the hard floor they have in place at about $14M.  I think when people envision floors and caps they mean something like $80M and $150M.  In other words, things that appear to be exceptionally unlikely.

That would cost players a ton of money. There's no reason to let the owners make even more.

35 minutes ago, weams said:

The sons seem to be doing things the proper way and wasting energy complaining about Peter Angelos accomplishes nothing. 

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Saying they had the money for the  ‘right moves’ and not signing Machado borders on idiotic. Unless....Duquette was spewing the company line.

Hard to believe the Davis contract had no impact.

I don’t believe it. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Was Duquette even involved in the Chris David contract talks? I think that was the owner negotiating directly with Boras.  

I wasn’t talking about negotiations w Davis. I was answering the comment by Duquette that there’d be enough money available for what they deemed necessary. I believe the Davis signing did impact whether they extended Machado.

19 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I wasn’t talking about negotiations w Davis. I was answering the comment by Duquette that there’d be enough money available for what they deemed necessary. I believe the Davis signing did impact whether they extended Machado.

Ah ok. I’m operating on 3 hours sleep today. Any chance of Manny staying went to zero after David resigned. Even if ownership won’t admit it. 

Archived