2019 10th round pick (288): Jordan Cannon - C - (SR) Sam Houston St University TX

1 hour ago, Rustbelt said:

Does he have a cannon of an arm?  :)   Seriously, 3 catchers in 10 rounds.  I really wonder what the long term plan for AR.  AR may start pretty high up with these catcherrs needing to play in low minors.  

Take a look at the catchers on Delmarva, Aberdeen, and Frederick - think there will be plenty of catching jobs to go around.

Back to drafting guys with cool names, I like it!  Actually, I do like the pick.  Versatile, pitched, split time b/w outfield and catcher.  Seems like a good athlete, and a solid dude.  May only be organizational filler, but seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Aglets said:

142,900 in savings for a 147,900 slot.   Seems pretty.........pretty...............pretty...................pretty good.

Wonder what the record is.

From what I remember seeing in the past guys don't normally go below 10K.   Signing for 5K, I kinda wonder what the story is.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, Can_of_corn said:

From what I remember seeing in the past guys don't normally go below 10K.   Signing for 5K, I kinda wonder what the story is.

Can't speak for other organizations but just look at the recent draft trackers, the O's have routinely signed guys for 5K or 7.5k.

9 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

How does one live on $5k? That’s substantially below the poverty line.  I read that this young man recently married his college sweetheart.  Guess as the wife of a professional ballplayer, she obviously will be the breadwinner.

$5k is his signing bonus, not his salary.

But with that said, minor leaguers don't make much.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, Can_of_corn said:

There is an additional 2500 dollar signing bonus outside the 125000 that can be offered as well. 

9 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

How does one live on $5k? That’s substantially below the poverty line.  I read that this young man recently married his college sweetheart.  Guess as the wife of a professional ballplayer, she obviously will be the breadwinner.

You don't  Baseball is not a career. 800 guys get to make the real money aside from what signing bonus they are able to negotiate, based on their talents. You obviously need to have some other source of revenue at age 19 to have a family and a house. I know a lot of 20 year old choose not to do that in today's world. I can tell tales of future major leaguers eating off the dollar menu or the Quiznos two for one. 

Archived