Where do 2019 picks fall into our Minor League Rankings?

ScGO's

Which of this year's picks would make our top 30 prospects list?  How would they be ranked?  Interested to see how they compare to the talent we already have.  I'll at least start with at top 10

1. Adley Rutschman

2. Ryan Mountcastle

3. Grayson Rodriguez

4. DL Hall

5. Yusniel Diaz

6. Austin Hays

7. Gunner Henderson

8. Ryan McKenna

9. Dean Kremer

10. Zach Lowther

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a bit aggressive having Henderson in top ten already.  I'm expecting him somewhere in the 11-15 range.  I'd also take McKenna out of the top ten and move Rom and Akin in there.  

I'll slot him at 13 behind Hunter Harvey and Adam Hall.  That seems about right.  He's a high school guy so there is a lot of risk involved and I think that needs to be weighed into his ranking. 

It'll matter more next year than this year, but using Tony's "who would you rather have" standard, I think you can make a case that Gunnar should be at the bottom of our top 10 already. Probably behind near-ready guys like Lowther, Akin and Kremer, but above guys like Adam Hall and (maybe) Knight based on upside.

BTW, Mountcastle is a nice prospect, but he's not above Grayson and Hall on our list. That top 3 is really impressive. If eligible, Mountcastle will still be a top 100 guy. Same could theoretically be said for Hays and Diaz if they start/continue to produce and maintain eligibility. Heck, Kremer could even make some top 100 lists if he really has a great second half, which I think is possible.

My list would be something like:

1. Rutschman
2. D.L. Hall (still above GrayRod based on massive potential/level, though I understand people who flip them)
3. GrayRod
4. Mountcastle (what is an .825 OPS 1B worth?)
5. Kremer (could be above Mountcastle to way below depending on his season)
6. Hays (could be above Mountcastle if he continues to rake. Has positional value)
7. Lowther
8. Diaz (easy to see him move up, but he has to get started)
9. Akin
10. Henderson
11. Rom (age has him above Knight)
12. Knight
13. Hall (could be a 'helium' guy over the next year)

14 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I imagine Elias would draft Mountcastle above Hall or Rodriguez. Then again, he may also draft Cumberland above the pitchers.

If you're going by the this draft, I find it highly unlikely he drafts a positionless bat above high upside starters. He may have taken a guy like Hays or Henderson above Mountcastle.

34 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If you're going by the this draft, I find it highly unlikely he drafts a positionless bat above high upside starters. He may have taken a guy like Hays or Henderson above Mountcastle.

So if he had selected Vaughn he would rank Mountcastle higher?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if he had selected Vaughn he would rank Mountcastle higher?

I have no idea what this means. 

Cy said he'd imagine Elias would take Mountcastle over Hall or Gray Rod. I assume that's because he took so many bats early in the draft. My reply simply mentioned that those bats had defensive value. If you're going to rely on the fact he took bats, you should also note that he took bats who play good defense.

If Elias had taken Vaughn, I imagine my response would be different. He didn't though. He took a bat with defensive value, in case you didn't notice.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have no idea what this means. 

Cy said he'd imagine Elias would take Mountcastle over Hall or Gray Rod. I assume that's because he took so many bats early in the draft. My reply simply mentioned that those bats had defensive value. If you're going to rely on the fact he took bats, you should also note that he took bats who play good defense.

If Elias had taken Vaughn, I imagine my response would be different. He didn't though. He took a bat with defensive value, in case you didn't notice.

Yea, that would be why I said "if".

My point was that one draft really isn't enough of a sample size to determine how Elias would rate players.  Yes he took a ton of SS and CF but as we both know a lot of future professional ball players play SS and CF before turning pro.  For instance Mountcastle was a SS, as was Mark Reynolds.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point was that one draft really isn't enough of a sample size to determine how Elias would rate players.  Yes he took a ton of SS and CF but as we both know a lot of future professional ball players play SS and CF before turning pro.  For instance Mountcastle was a SS, as was Mark Reynolds.

Adam Jones is so good he has played both!

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree with this statement. You should have made it the first time. :)

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I posted about the 1989 draft recently.   The following players in that draft were drafted as shortstops: Jim Thome, Jeff Kent,  Jason Giambi, Jorge Posada, Chuck Knoblauch, and Trevor Hoffman.

I'm not saying this is likely...at all...but in my perfect world, Mountcastle could perform exactly like's he's performing right now and still be our #7 prospect. I'd prefer the upside of all of AR, Hall, GrayRod, Kremer, Hays and Diaz to Mountcastle. In theory, they could all perform as I'd hope in the second half and end up rated higher than Mountcastle. It's not likely, but I think it's possible. 

Again, by Tony's standard, I'd personally rather have a .800 outfielder than an .825 1B. I'd rather have a #3 starter too. Don't get me wrong. These guys would have to produce, but that's where I'd be if you eliminate the injuries and our guys do what I hope they can do.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not saying this is likely...at all...but in my perfect world, Mountcastle could perform exactly like's he's performing right now and still be our #7 prospect. I'd prefer the upside of all of AR, Hall, GrayRod, Kremer, Hays and Diaz to Mountcastle. In theory, they could all perform as I'd hope in the second half and end up rated higher than Mountcastle. It's not likely, but I think it's possible. 

Again, by Tony's standard, I'd personally rather have a .800 outfielder than an .825 1B. I'd rather have a #3 starter too. Don't get me wrong. These guys would have to produce, but that's where I'd be if you eliminate the injuries and our guys do what I hope they can do.

You included Hall and yet left off Hall.  Interesting.

As in Adam Hall? Correct. I don't think he belongs in that conversation. Maybe if he hits like he is at Frederick and continues to look like he'll stick at SS he can start to be there. I have no idea if that bat will play at higher levels though, so his probabilities are too low (IMO) to move him this high at this time.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

As in Adam Hall? Correct. I don't think he belongs in that conversation. Maybe if he hits like he is at Frederick and continues to look like he'll stick at SS he can start to be there. I have no idea if that bat will play at higher levels though, so his probabilities are too low (IMO) to move him this high at this time.

Well, in my perfect world he hits enough.

Archived