Adam Dunn

Sports Guy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do DH get paid as much as positional players? I seem to remember Ortiz and Hafner not getting crazy deals.

Don't forget the premium Lee gets for being a ".300" hitter.

These are both good points but it only takes one team to pull a Carlos Lee and overpay for a guy who should be a DH.

Now, Dunn may be able to play first, who knows.

I do think his price tag will be kept down...I will still be surprised if he signs for less than 5 years and 15 million or less.

I personally think that Adam Dunn is one of the most underrated offensive players in the game. To me, the strikeouts don't bother me because he gets on base so much. We are always showing on here that BA is one of the most insignificant stats out there, so why do we worry about Dunn's low BA. Plus when it comes to making an out, I would rather have Dunn striking out than grounding into an inning ending double play. I would still like Teixeira more than Dunn because of his great defense at 1st, but if we miss out or see that we aren't going to have a chance, I would sign Dunn, make him our DH and move Huff to 1st. Although I think getting an offensive bat such as Dunn is important, I would make sure I sured up the starting pitching first.

The FA SS aren't that good outside of Furcal and he is likely to re-sign in LA ans even if he doesn't, he will get too much money for too many years.

OCab, Uribe, FLop...true, they aren't great and they only deserve short incentive laden deals.

I just don't think Dunn wants to come here. I don't know if it would even be worth the time it takes to pursue it. I doubt Tex will end up here really, but he is worth going after.

OCab, Uribe, FLop...true, they aren't great and they only deserve short incentive laden deals.

I just don't think Dunn wants to come here. I don't know if it would even be worth the time it takes to pursue it. I doubt Tex will end up here really, but he is worth going after.

Why not???

Cause as you noted in your opening post, the rumors about him going home to Texas.

It's too early to tell how we'll do in the offseason, but I can see us not signing the big bat we need. Just a gut feeling.

Well, Lee, Pence and Berkman occupy the corners for Houston, so he isn't going there.

Murphy and Davis take 2 of the corner spots in Texas...Hamilton has played some RF but he is more a CFer for them...So, i guess the Rangers could put him in RF or at DH(if they don't re-sign Bradley) but do they need the offense and would they even focus on it? Would they prefer to spend their money on pitching?

Why not???

Well, I should say that I see no reason why he would come here. Do you honestly see us being the highest bidder on him? That would be the only way he'd come here....even then, he'd be passing up the chance to go to NYM, NYY, LAA and a few other contending teams that need a bat (subtract the team that actually ends up with Tex).

Our owner seems to be on a mission to get Tex so who knows how that will manifest itself in negotiations. It's a passinate pursuit at least on our side. Dunn? Not so much.

Isn't Dunn a classic example of Old Player's Skills? Low average, lots of strikeouts, lots of walks and homeruns, poor defense, no speed...maybe he'll buck the odds but guys like him don't age well on average.

Yes he is which is why you can't go to crazy with the years...5 years should be the max he gets.

Well, I should say that I see no reason why he would come here. Do you honestly see us being the highest bidder on him? That would be the only way he'd come here....even then, he'd be passing up the chance to go to NYM, NYY, LAA and a few other contending teams that need a bat (subtract the team that actually ends up with Tex).

Our owner seems to be on a mission to get Tex so who knows how that will manifest itself in negotiations. It's a passinate pursuit at least on our side. Dunn? Not so much.

The Orioles know they need a big bat and they have money to spend...Will we go after him? Who knows...But we are just as likely to pursue him as any of the other teams you mentioned.

And we may say, that if he gets 1-3 less years and 30-50 million less than Tex, that he makes more sense for us.

The strikes against him may prevent some of those teams from going after him...of course, it may prevent the Orioles from going after him as well.

Tex or no Tex, we should definitely go after Dunn.

Go for broke and offer Tex 7/$126mm and Dunn 5/$75mm.

If we get both, we have 1B and DH covered for at least the next five years. If we get one, at least we'll finally have an exceptional 1B since Palmeiro's first tour in Baltimore.

If we can pick up one or both, regardless, we should sell Huff in the offseason -- preferrably for our next shortstop.

A line-up featuring Roberts, Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Dunn, and Teixeira would be outlandish.

I think it's been reported that Texas is going to go very hard after Sabathia so it seems they realize they need pitching and that that will be a #1 priority for them.

Question for you guys....If both of these contracts get the player, do you give Tex 7/125 or Dunn 5/75?

Totally.

And if an eighth year at $18mm unquestionably seals the deal for Teixeira, I'd probably bite the bullet.

The Orioles know they need a big bat and they have money to spend...Will we go after him? Who knows...But we are just as likely to pursue him as any of the other teams you mentioned.

And we may say, that if he gets 1-3 less years and 30-50 million less than Tex, that he makes more sense for us.

The strikes against him may prevent some of those teams from going after him...of course, it may prevent the Orioles from going after him as well.

True.....but there will be other teams closer to contention that will be there to make that offer.

I just don't think it's a good match...and I don't think Dunn is the kind of player that AM wants to be at the core for the next few years. Tex can play some D.

Archived