David Ortiz Shot in Dominican Republic

bpilktree

On 6/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather he sign draft picks.

Seems to me they are making a pointless gesture in an effort to look good.

You do something for a 19 year old in A ball that gets shot you get my attention. 

To me its not pointless, its what a classy organization does to take care of their own.

How many 19 year olds have been shot while under M-I-L contract?

The plot thickens. Supposedly Ortiz was not  the target, and the whole thing was organized by a capo of the Gulf Cartel....a guy named Victor Hugo Gomez. The story sounds more David Simon than Victor Hugo.

https://nyti.ms/2MYLDxO

Jean Alain Rodríguez, the country’s top prosecutor, said Ortiz, who was shot in the back and underwent emergency surgery that night before being transported to Boston, was wearing similar clothing to a friend, Sixto David Fernandez, who was the intended target of the shooting.

• 2 months later...

Martinez, who has removed most of her social media posts after a video of the fight at the clinic emerged, denied rumors she was dating the retired Red Sox player. She told a local paper that the vicious fighting in the hospital waiting room with another woman — Fary Almanzar Fernandez — was over “a personal issue” and had nothing to do with Ortiz.

Moneyed baseball players are easy targets for mobsters who often lure them into shady business deals, a Dominican attorney told The Post.

“Some of these players hook up with bad elements from their childhood,” said Pedro Cassals, a criminal lawyer who specializes in fraud and money laundering. “The crooks know that baseball players, who are seen as gods in this country, won’t be subject to the same due diligence with the banks, so they hit them up to act as fronts when they want to buy property or invest in businesses.”

Ortiz appears to have tried to distance himself from those underworld elements who try to take advantage of professional baseball players. Ortiz sold his apartment in the Naco Blue Tower shortly after Peralta bought the penthouse in the building, a source told The Post. The drug trafficker, who is wanted for the distribution of thousands of kilos of cocaine and marijuana from Colombia to the US and Europe, has more than 50 properties scattered throughout Santo Domingo, the source said.

• 2 years later...