Petrillo: New Defensive Metric

weams

2 hours ago, theocean said:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this, weams.

You are very welcome. When Frobby and I were discussing my reluctance to use metrics with flawed defensive data, this came up. I think we are headed towards some good components sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

So Mancini gets a better jump on balls than Mike Trout? And Rickard gets the 5th best jump in the game?

Yes. Jump, the metric. Trout runs better routes and is much faster. Bradley gets great jumps but often heads the wrong way. Corey Dickerson was a godhead of this.

How the Orioles’ OF fared:

Rickard 0.7 + 0.6 + 0.2 = 1.5

Mullins -0.7 + 0.9 + 0.7 = 0.9

Broxton 0.4 + 0.3 + -0.2 = 0.5

Mancini 0.0 + -1.6 + 0.2 = -1.4

Smith -0.4 + -2.5 + -0.2 = -3.1

I feel kind of bad for Mancini.   He’s OK on the two parts where his natural speed doesn’t limit him.   

On 6/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Frobby said:

Broxton 0.4 + 0.3 + -0.2 = 0.5

I feel kind of bad for Mancini.   He’s OK on the two parts where his natural speed doesn’t limit him.   

But being real slow kinda limits you. Like to catcher or third base like Brooks.

Interesting. It's about time we had some better defensive metrics. Hopefully, these can be taken more seriously than the current ones.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Frobby said:

Broxton 0.6 + 0.7 + -0.2 = 1.1

All those numbers were right except Broxtons for some reason? FTFY.

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

Interesting. It's about time we had some better defensive metrics. Hopefully, these can be taken more seriously than the current ones.

All those numbers were right except Broxtons for some reason? FTFY.

How is Broxton incorrect?

On 6/13/2019 at 4:22 AM, weams said:

But being real slow kinda limits you. Like to catcher or third base like Brooks.

These data open up all sorts of interesting analyses. For instance, to get a comprehensive index of out getting skill should we really weight the component metrics equally and add them together linearly like Frobby did? Are some of the component skills more important than others? Do some age better than others? Can some be coached up more than others?

Archived