Wow, this bullpen reeks!

Frobby

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

From the metrics that Frobby posted above, they aren't as bad, as our eye test is giving us.

I would hope to see some fresh arms in ST and have a better selection to put on the 25 man roster.

You have an odd interpretation of the metrics I posted.   A 51% save rate is atrocious.   It’s worst in the league.   What’s surprising is that there are a couple of teams nearly as bad, like Boston (52%).

For reference, the O’s were at 79% in 2016, 74% in 2014 and 75% in 2012 — all with a lot more save opportunities than this year, needless to say.

Just now, Frobby said:

You have an odd interpretation of the metrics I posted.   A 51% save rate is atrocious.   It’s worst in the league.   What’s surprising is that there are a couple of teams nearly as bad, like Boston (52%).

For reference, the O’s were at 79% in 2016, 74% in 2014 and 75% in 2012 — all with a lot more save opportunities than this year, needless to say.

I agree 52% is very bad, but if league avg is 61%

Overall it points to the lack of quality pen arms in MLB

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree 52% is very bad, but if league avg is 61%

Overall it points to the lack of quality pen arms in MLB

I said 63% for the league and 51% for the O’s, not 61% and 52%.    But, you do have a point.    The 63% save rate for the league is quite bad.    Since 2012, it’s gone 72%, 68%, 69%, 69%, 69%, 65%, 66%, 63%.

I think part of the reason for this is all the short starts.   Simply stated, it’s harder to protect a lead for 4 innings than it is to protect it for 3 innings.     

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I said 63% for the league and 51% for the O’s, not 61% and 52%.    But, you do have a point.    The 63% save rate for the league is quite bad.    Since 2012, it’s gone 72%, 68%, 69%, 69%, 69%, 65%, 66%, 63%.

I think part of the reason for this is all the short starts.   Simply stated, it’s harder to protect a lead for 4 innings than it is to protect it for 3 innings.     

Agreed. This is why I don't think a blown "save" should count unless it's in the 9th inning or later. Why should a reliever in the 6th or 7th inning be credited with a blown save when he wasn't trying save anything. Maybe they should change it to blown lead and make a blown save the 9th or later.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. This is why I don't think a blown "save" should count unless it's in the 9th inning or later. Why should a reliever in the 6th or 7th inning be credited with a blown save when he wasn't trying save anything. Maybe they should change it to blown lead and make a blown save the 9th or later.

Plus a three inning start with six extra innings makes any bullpen vulnerable. This was all on Chandler. The team fought back nicely. I did not care for how the ninth went I must say. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed.  If one insists on using the save statistic at least define it as (Holds + Saves) / [Save chances] 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree.  Our bullpen as currently staffed could go with a whole new lineup next season and would be hard pressed to be worse than this year’s performance. 

There are no Zach Brittons, Darren O’Days, Andrew Millers in this group, that’s for sure.  And without at least one guy who can be a reliable lockdown type guy, then the rest of the pen seems to do worse trying to do things they are not suited for.  I hope Hunter can become that lockdown guy.