No Lou tonight, Payton in CF.

Big Mac

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reimold has the physical ability to play. But Keith Reed did too. There's a reason he didn't.

And why mess with Markakis? The guy is playing a great RF. Just leave him the hell alone. Do you even think about what you say sometimes?

Agreed 100%. It amazes me to see people moving people into CF/SS because they played there in little league. Nick is a great right fielder and I have no doubt he would be a good CF but then we would be weaker in RF. IMO if Montanez can play a decent CF he will be given a chance. If not then people on this board will be mad, because Payton will be in CF. People assume that DT makes the lineup with out any input from others. A scouting report came with Montanez. That as much as DT will decide if he plays CF.

Agreed 100%. It amazes me to see people moving people into CF/SS because they played there in little league. Nick is a great right fielder and I have no doubt he would be a good CF but then we would be weaker in RF. IMO if Montanez can play a decent CF he will be given a chance. If not then people on this board will be mad, because Payton will be in CF. People assume that DT makes the lineup with out any input from others. A scouting report came with Montanez. That as much as DT will decide if he plays CF.

Trembley has managed Montanez before, so I'm sure he has his own personal scouting report as well.

Maybe Montanez didn't catch a flight until today and is jet lagged? I think we'll see him tomorrow for sure.

Yeah, without a doubt I can probably pretty much guarantee that we might see him maybe tomorrow for sure.

Sure it's a small sample size, but it hardly indicates that Payton can't hit Garland. Quite the contrary.

While Payton is a former centerfielder in his mid-30's, at least he used to be a (quite good defensive) centerfielder. Who else that's actually wearing an Orioles uniform in Anaheim can you say that about.

Is Montanez the guy who can hit his way out of paper bag? First off, that's high praise for a guy beating up on the kids half-a-decade his junior after getting sent back to repeat AA...plus no one seems to know if he's even there yet.

I'm not thrilled about Payton, but I think he gets too little respect on here as a general rule.[/QUOTE]

With a sub .300 OBP as an Oriole Payton seems to be receiving about as much respect as he deserves. I can live wih Payton finishing out the season as an Oriole. But I am looking forward to seeing Payton flailing away for another team in 2009!

No it's still a valid point because people are acting like Payton can't hit a right-hander...as if all right-handers are the same or something.

Ok, not going to troll here, I don't want to cause any problems with you Boom Boom. In 128 At bats vs. RHP in 2008 Jay Payton has a 0.528 OPS. Let this serve as a discussion point for everyone.

How do you know if they are ready? Olson has struggled in my book. He has been given tons of run support and can't go 5 innings half the time, that's not being a big leaguer. I have no problem with him here now because he is the best we have. He has pitched a little better of late and hopefully it will continue. Hoey was said to have confidence problems before he was called up last year which he admitted to after a rough outing last year. Liz was here only because of desperation. I haven't seen Lou play, players should get promoted to the big league level if they can handle it, that's all.

Well Reimold has been very good at all levels in the minors, you can take a look yourself. He is 25 and definently seems to be ready.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=11986

Olson has dominated AAA and has done a good job recently. He was struggling with his command but he seems to be improving. Give him some time.

I dont think Liz was here because of desperation. He like Olson, did very well in AAA.

You obviously haven't seen Lou play, and if he is up here dont you think he can play. Just going by your logic.

Well Reimold has been very good at all levels in the minors, you can take a look yourself. He is 25 and definently seems to be ready.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=11986

Olson has dominated AAA and has done a good job recently. He was struggling with his command but he seems to be improving. Give him some time.

I dont think Liz was here because of desperation. He like Olson, did very well in AAA.

You obviously haven't seen Lou play, and if he is up here dont you think he can play. Just going by your logic.

Not to nitpick, but a minor correction, Reimold is 24.

An interesting thread once you get away from the bickering.

I liked what I saw from Montanez in Bowie. He's balanced at the plate, hits the ball hard to all fields, and has pull power and gap power to right. Defensively, I don't see him killing a team in center field, but he hasn't played there much so it's a lot to ask a guy to play a position he hasn't played much in the major leagues.

At 26-years old (he'll be 27 in December), and as a former number one pick (3rd overall), I wouldn't put it past him that he just might be a late bloomer. He's not just hitting mistake pitches and he makes adjustments during the game at the plate.

I kept asking scout after scout about him and their opinions varied from "He's an organizational player" to "He might have a chance be a solid 4th outfielder."

I kept watching Montanez closer and closer and I couldn't find a major flaw in his game. Now, will he be overmatched by big league pitchers? We won't know that until he faces that type of pitching. I'd like to see Montanez play 4-5 times a week and see what they have.

As for Reimold, I do think he's ready to contribute with the bat, but I also think his average will end up being pretty low and he might not have the power everyone expects right away. Big league pitchers are going to go to a steady diet of off speed pitches against him and the concern is he'll press, and get himself into a slump if he doesn't hit right away.

Defensively I would not put him in center field. Although he runs fairly good once he gets going, he struggles at times in the outfield with jumps and taking good routes and when he was moved away from his comfort zone in RF to LF, I was told he looked completely lost on the first hit right at him.

Imagine that in the big leagues in center field where guys really drive the ball and the CF needs good instincts in order to read balls that slice, fade, and come right at them?

Unless another injury occurs I'd probably like to see Reimold play out the year in Bowie and then get a September call up.

An interesting thread once you get away from the bickering.

I liked what I saw from Montanez in Bowie. He's balanced at the plate, hits the ball hard to all fields, and has pull power and gap power to right. Defensively, I don't see him killing a team in center field, but he hasn't played there much so it's a lot to ask a guy to play a position he hasn't played much in the major leagues.

At 26-years old (he'll be 27 in December), and as a former number one pick (3rd overall), I wouldn't put it past him that he just might be a late bloomer. He's not just hitting mistake pitches and he makes adjustments during the game at the plate.

I kept asking scout after scout about him and their opinions varied from "He's an organizational player" to "He might have a chance be a solid 4th outfielder."

I kept watching Montanez closer and closer and I couldn't find a major flaw in his game. Now, will he be overmatched by big league pitchers? We won't know that until he faces that type of pitching. I'd like to see Montanez play 4-5 times a week and see what they have.

As for Reimold, I do think he's ready to contribute with the bat, but I also think his average will end up being pretty low and he might not have the power everyone expects right away. Big league pitchers are going to go to a steady diet of off speed pitches against him and the concern is he'll press, and get himself into a slump if he doesn't hit right away.

Defensively I would not put him in center field. Although he runs fairly good once he gets going, he struggles at times in the outfield with jumps and taking good routes and when he was moved away from his comfort zone in RF to LF, I was told he looked completely lost on the first hit right at him.

Imagine that in the big leagues in center field where guys really drive the ball and the CF needs good instincts in order to read balls that slice, fade, and come right at them?

Unless another injury occurs I'd probably like to see Reimold play out the year in Bowie and then get a September call up.

Whats your opinion of Reimold at first Tony? I mean, I am pretty sure you have probably never seen him there but do you think he could handle it based off of what you know about him?

Archived