No Lou tonight, Payton in CF.

Big Mac

Well, let's consider the particular right-hander the Orioles are facing tonight for starters.

Payton is 2-6 (.333) with both hits being doubles against the man called Jon Garland. That, OPS-jockeys, adds up to a 1.000 OPS.

Next case.

Did you really just cite a meaningless 6 at bats to justify a stance for a player who is awful vs righties?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to play the small sample size card here.

I see no point in playing a 36 OF who won't be on this team next season and isn't good.

I'd rather see the guy who's 10 years younger and can, you know, actually hit his way out of a paper bag.

Sure it's a small sample size, but it hardly indicates that Payton can't hit Garland. Quite the contrary.

While Payton is a former centerfielder in his mid-30's, at least he used to be a (quite good defensive) centerfielder. Who else that's actually wearing an Orioles uniform in Anaheim can you say that about.

Is Montanez the guy who can hit his way out of paper bag? First off, that's high praise for a guy beating up on the kids half-a-decade his junior after getting sent back to repeat AA...plus no one seems to know if he's even there yet.

I'm not thrilled about Payton, but I think he gets too little respect on here as a general rule.

Did you really just cite a meaningless 6 at bats to justify a stance for a player who is awful vs righties?

If he was 0-6, you'd probably be citing them to make the opposite argument.

What of Garland getting hit more by righties than lefties in 2008?

You can't view stats is a vacuum. Payton won't be hitting off a right-handed pitching machine tonight. He'll be hitting against a pitcher he's handled, that's struggling (relatively) against righties.

You don't like the move. We get it.

To act like it's indefensible really isn't on target here though.

Sure it's a small sample size, but it hardly indicates that Payton can't hit Garland. Quite the contrary.

While Payton is a former centerfielder in his mid-30's, at least he used to be a (quite good defensive) centerfielder. Who else that's actually wearing an Orioles uniform in Anaheim can you say that about.

Is Montanez the guy who can hit his way out of paper bag? First off, that's high praise for a guy beating up on the kids half-a-decade his junior after getting sent back to repeat AA...plus no one seems to know if he's even there yet.

I'm not thrilled about Payton, but I think he gets too little respect on here as a general rule.

I don't think Payton gets too little respect on here.

He is the absolute last thing a rebuilding team needs. He's a 36 year-old overpaid 4th OF who contributes almost nothing offensively, and is nothing more than average defensively in the OF.

The point is we are in last place, we should be playing younger guys like Montanez rather than old, declining players like Payton.

If Lou hasn't arrived yet, the whole situation is moot. But if Lou comes up here just to watch Payton play everyday, that is a complete joke and completely inexcusable, IMO.

No I wouldn't...I could care less about 6 at bats,

You can't view stats is a vacuum. Payton won't be hitting off a right-handed pitching machine tonight. He'll be hitting against a pitcher he's handled, that's struggling (relatively) against righties.

Actually, you haven't seen me mention Payton at all but thanks for doing your normal putting words into people's mouth thing that you do so well.

Its really about most of the lineup...It is disgusting. Another pathetic August lineup filled with a bunch of players that have no future with this team while we are in the midst of another losing season.

Why in the blue hell would you sit someone as hot as Montanez for Payton? I understand he was just promoted from AA but good grief! :angryfire:

How about he played on the East Coast last night, and either traveled across country last night or early this morning and is probably on zero sleep right now. He will get his chance. It is not like it is Willie Mays returning from the war to save the Giants.

I don't think Payton gets too little respect on here.

He is the absolute last thing a rebuilding team needs. He's a 36 year-old overpaid 4th OF who contributes almost nothing offensively, and is nothing more than average defensively in the OF.

The point is we are in last place, we should be playing younger guys like Montanez rather than old, declining players like Payton.

If Lou hasn't arrived yet, the whole situation is moot. But if Lou comes up here just to watch Payton play everyday, that is a complete joke and completely inexcusable, IMO.

Not picking on you personally, but here goes the slippery slope argument.

Yesterday, Montanez getting the call up instead of Reimold was some sort of idiocy and injustice because Montanez had no future and the kiddo called Reimold hopefully does.

Now that Montanez is here, he's getting robbed of at-bats he deserves as a piece of the future according to the same people who ripped him as having no future just 24 hours ago.

Lee Perry was right. "People funny, boy" :rofl:

I get so disgusted with this time of the year when it comes to this team...Even though Jones is out, look at that lineup...A bunch of players that have no real future with this organization.

What a disgrace.

Do we cut Roberts, and Markakis, Huff and Scott before or after the game??

Actually, you haven't seen me mention Payton at all but thanks for doing your normal putting words into people's mouth thing that you do so well.

Its really about most of the lineup...It is disgusting. Another pathetic August lineup filled with a bunch of players that have no future with this team while we are in the midst of another losing season.

OK tough guy.

Let's play your game. Where have I done this? Show me threads! I want proof!

You can't do it, can you? CAN YOU?

Get this garbage out of here and try again.

(Just speaking to you in a language you understand)

Not picking on you personally, but here goes the slippery slope argument.

Yesterday, Montanez getting the call up instead of Reimold was some sort of idiocy and injustice because Montanez had no future and the kiddo called Reimold hopefully does.

Now that Montanez is here, he's getting robbed of at-bats he deserves as a piece of the future according to the same people who ripped him as having no future just 24 hours ago.

Lee Perry was right. "People funny, boy" :rofl:

Regardless of whether or not I wanted Reimold over Montanez, the point is both are 10+ years younger than Payton and both have a much better chance to contribute to the future of this club than Jay Payton.;)

OK tough guy.

Let's play your game. Where have I done this? Show me threads! I want proof!

You can't do it, can you? CAN YOU?

Get this garbage out of here and try again.

(Just speaking to you in a language you understand)

Ummm, in this post genius...You know, the same post I called you out on to begin with?(wow, did that REALLY go over your head that quickly?) I never specifically mentioned the Payton move at all.

Right now, he really is our only CFer because of poor decisions by AM.

That would be a valid point if were were talking about a left handed batter and a right handed batter...but Lou is also a right handed batter, so it's a moot point.

Why in the world do think Montanez has a future with this team? A career minor leaguer who hits Double A pitching is going to be a starting player in the AL East? At best he would be a 4th outfielder, at best. You act like he is the second coming of Nick Markakis.

Archived