Cody Carroll's back injury is actually a disc issue

interloper

On 6/27/2019 at 6:17 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I feel real bad for these guys that they are hurt. I wouldn’t be too upset about the trades because most of the guys we acquired in all the trades, were guys that we got mainly because they were going to have to be protected on 40 man rosters.  

Rogers will get put on the 60 day DL and then be DFAd in November. 

Carrol might suffer the same fate. If he’s missing time into next year then I think he will be DFAd. 

Pop will stick. Young guy. Hopefully he’ll pitch some at the end of next year. 

Tate better continue his recent success in Bowie’s pen or he might be DFAd this November. 

Ortiz probably has a little more leeway than Tate. Based on previous success and not being used strictly as a reliever yet. 

Zimmerman, Cumberland, Diaz - will all be on the 40 man this November. 

Carroll just turned 25 and is under control through 2025. He's been a low to mid 2 era guy. I doubt he's cut loose anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is there any hope that he can get better and get back to form? His major league numbers have been so much worse than anything his minors numbers would indicate.

Hope, yeah, it's just 17 innings with a 3.2 HR/9 after .31 HR/9 in 230 minor league innings. We need to see if his stuff is back, but I see no reason he can't be at least a bullpen depth piece (up and down guy). 

17 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Hope, yeah, it's just 17 innings with a 3.2 HR/9 after .31 HR/9 in 230 minor league innings. We need to see if his stuff is back, but I see no reason he can't be at least a bullpen depth piece (up and down guy). 

Craig caught him rehabbing in Sarasota. 

Cody Carroll.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Carroll pitched in the AFL after missing virtually all of the regular season except a couple of GCL outings at the end of the year.    In the AFL he threw 8.2 innings, allowing 2 earned runs on 7 hits and 7 walks, striking out 11.   Not too bad considering how rusty he was.    

Here’s an evaluation by Adam McInturff of 2080 Baseball after seeing him twice in the AFL: https://2080baseball.com/reports/cody-carroll/

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

not like the guys that replaced [Britton] are doing stellar work here.

That’s a pretty outdated post you responded to (from June 27), and of course, not directly related to Carroll, though he was acquired in the Britton trade.    But in any event, Zack had himself a pretty nice season.    1.91 ERA, and though the K/BB ratio wasn’t stellar, he had the heavy sinker working to the tune of a 3.27 GB/FB ratio.    I’d have to think the Yankees were pretty satisfied with his performance.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a pretty outdated post you responded to (from June 27), and of course, not directly related to Carroll, though he was acquired in the Britton trade.    But in any event, Zack had himself a pretty nice season.    1.91 ERA, and though the K/BB ratio wasn’t stellar, he had the heavy sinker working to the tune of a 3.27 GB/FB ratio.    I’d have to think the Yankees were pretty satisfied with his performance.

Frobby thanks, didnt realize it was an old thread, I need to start looking at dates better.

I really like Zack, but stopped following him, in pin stripes, not his fault.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Carroll pitched in the AFL after missing virtually all of the regular season except a couple of GCL outings at the end of the year.    In the AFL he threw 8.2 innings, allowing 2 earned runs on 7 hits and 7 walks, striking out 11.   Not too bad considering how rusty he was.    

Here’s an evaluation by Adam McInturff of 2080 Baseball after seeing him twice in the AFL: https://2080baseball.com/reports/cody-carroll/

Good post. Carroll’s return in the AFL flew under the radar for me. Maybe it was the excitement for Wells and Kremer. It would be really nice to see some semblance of a bullpen start to form next year. I think Carroll is a cut above a lot of the guys we trotted out last year. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post. Carroll’s return in the AFL flew under the radar for me. Maybe it was the excitement for Wells and Kremer. It would be really nice to see some semblance of a bullpen start to form next year. I think Carroll is a cut above a lot of the guys we trotted out last year. 

Like who in your opinion? Carroll is a lot like the guys we brought up last year. He's an up/down depth reliever piece with good velocity that plays down due to his lack of movement and command of the pitch. I'd have zero issues with taking him off the 40-man if a better option presented itself.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Like who in your opinion? Carroll is a lot like the guys we brought up last year. He's an up/down depth reliever piece with good velocity that plays down due to his lack of movement and command of the pitch. I'd have zero issues with taking him off the 40-man if a better option presented itself.

I think we have too many guys cut from the same cloth, they are interchangable, nothing earth shaking to set them apart right now, from their peers.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There are a lot of players that I would take off the 40 man roster before I would take Carroll off.  They include:  Ynoa, Wynns, Trumbo, Armstrong, Fry, Hanhold, Shepherd, Smith, Hess, Sulser