Tyler Skaggs dead.

weams

25 minutes ago, murph said:

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is supposed to be released through the skin over 3 days and is usually for the most chronic pain situations (think hospice).  Really sad he even got his hands on it.  And guessing he got the medication out of the patch and ingested it all at once.   Unreal.  

More likely he had a lackey from the team score him some Oxxy and it was laced with Fentanyl.

2 hours ago, murph said:

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is supposed to be released through the skin over 3 days and is usually for the most chronic pain situations (think hospice).  Really sad he even got his hands on it.  And guessing he got the medication out of the patch and ingested it all at once.   Unreal.  

There are oral-delivery versions of fentanyl as well, but I have a hard time imagining him being in the kind of pain that would require oxycodone much less fentanyl.  Pharmaceutical fentanyl is dangerous enough, if he got his hands on some street stuff, God knows the purity or what else was in it.

13 minutes ago, 24fps said:

There are oral-delivery versions of fentanyl as well, but I have a hard time imagining him being in the kind of pain that would require oxycodone much less fentanyl.  Pharmaceutical fentanyl is dangerous enough, if he got his hands on some street stuff, God knows the purity or what else was in it.

His BAC was high enough that any combination of opioid use could easily have caused him to die with his boots on. This was a vomit death. Think Jimi. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office issued a technical report that said Skaggs died as a result of "mixed ethanol, fentanyl, oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents."

KTLA https://ktla.com/2019/08/30/angels-pitcher-tyler-skaggs-died-of-alcohol-fentanyl-and-oxycodone-intoxication-choked-on-his-vomit/

o

Good info.

Thanks for the update.

o

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Yes but very rare, transmusacol and different concentration.     Regardless your right, terribly powerful drug on its own.   I do hope they figure out who provided it.  

On 7/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Medical Examiner: Tyler Skaggs' Autopsy to be Completed in October

(By Jenna West)

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/02/tyler-skaggs-cause-death-autopsy-completed-october-angels

o

They said that the autopsy would be completed in October, and they finished it (and released it to the public) in late August.

o

Such a tragic waste.  West Virginia has been ground zero for the opioid addiction crisis for several years now.  The introduction of Fentanyl has made it that much worse and that much more deadly.  I'm involved with a program to address compassion fatigue among first responders her in WV.  When I spoke to the police chief in Huntington he told me they have a very high rate of burnout among young police officers because they see 7 or 8 deaths a month now with many of those being in their 20's and 30's whereas in the past they may have seen 7 or 8 a year with the bulk of those being seniors or car accidents.  

• Upvote 2

Fentanyl, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, is a synthetic opioid pain reliever approved for treating severe pain and is considered 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine. The blood testing revealed 3.8 nanograms of fentanyl per milliliter within Skaggs’ system, along with 38 nanograms per milliliter of oxycodone — which is on MLB’s banned substance list. Fentanyl, while not specifically banned, qualifies as a “drug of abuse.” Skaggs’ blood alcohol content of 0.122 percent exceeds the legal limit for impairment of 0.08 percent.

Skaggs had a long injury history. He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2014, missing the better part of the next 20 months. Skaggs wouldn’t cross the 100-inning threshold again until a year ago due to a variety of ailments, and he pitched through a groin injury for much of the second half of last season.

This season, however, Skaggs appeared fairly healthy. He was prevented from throwing for a week in spring training with forearm tightness as he learned a new pitch, then briefly went on the 10-day injured list with a sprained ankle. Before his death, Skaggs posted a 4.29 ERA over 79 2/3 innings, on pace to set career bests in innings pitched and starts.

Ausmus said Skaggs never approached him about pitching through pain this season, Ausmus’ first with the Angels, though he also said he would be the last person Skaggs would’ve gone to in such a situation as the pitcher likely would have wanted to stay on the field. In his experience as a former catcher and watching pitchers deal with injuries, Ausmus said, the standard medication for in-season pain was Advil.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not a surprise.  Still very sad.  But anyone that young (let alone a professional athlete) just doesn't up and die without some type of drug abuse/overdose.  

Maybe that's becoming more of the standard today, but I don't assume that to always be the case.  My best friend died 34 years ago of a sudden heart attack from a congenital condition.  He was 23, never took drugs.

• Upvote 1