2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

Just now, JMU_Birdfan said:

I'm honestly very surprised we haven't heard more rumors of severino being dealt. There has to be a team out there (I'm too lazy to look) that is making a push for the playoffs, has a weak link at catcher, and would prefer something more than a rental.

I understand he's not dominating right now but he's been kinda hot recently and has some defensive value too.

Team might not be willing to hand the reigns over to Sisco and Wynns.

Going to need someone to catch next season.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Pound the table all you want - a good trade was made by our former GM and it is staring you right in the face.  Some folks just insist on missing the boat - it will leave without them.

I am not pounding the table, but the thinking is that we could have gotten a little more if O'Day's salary wasn't in the deal. I don't really care if our payroll makes us a laughingstock any more than we already are. Some people don't want salary dumping to cause us to accept B-C prospects for an established MLB starting pitcher with a 98 MPH FB. Even if it looks good in retrospect due to Gausman underperforming, that doesn't make it a good deal.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

No, I would not.  I think the value of Mancini, while not guaranteed, is much more certain than your version of 8 projectable wins from a minor league player.  But I get that the value of 8 future wins is pretty equal to 10 present wins and I think that is the point you were making.

On a contending team I'd much rather have the 10 present wins.  But the O's are not going to be a contending team.

As for the certainly, it's projected so yea it might be less but it also might be more.  I'm going with the assumption that Elias and company makes smart decisions on who to trade for.

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am not pounding the table, but the thinking is that we could have gotten a little more if O'Day's salary wasn't in the deal. I don't really care if our payroll makes us a laughingstock any more than we already are. Some people don't want salary dumping to cause us to accept B-C prospects for an established MLB starting pitcher with a 98 MPH FB. Even if it looks good in retrospect due to Gausman underperforming, that doesn't make it a good deal.

Some people don't understand this is a real organization with real $ that makes decisions with real financial implications.

A year after this trade our organization is ranked eighth in minor league talent according to Baseball America.

At last year's deadline, this organization looked at the possible 2019 major league payroll in relation to a 2019 budget and came to the decision that the cost certainty provided by the salary relief was the best way forward.  I think it is pretty obvious that decision makers chose wisely when in came time to trading Kevin Gausman.  As I mentioned, some folks just insist on missing the boat.  

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gausman is not underperforming. He's performing like a #4  - which is what he is.  A 98 MPH FB means nothing at the MLB level if you can't locate.

13 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Gausman is not underperforming. He's performing like a #4  - which is what he is.  A 98 MPH FB means nothing at the MLB level if you can't locate.

Yeah I never got that with Gausman. People kept saying he was always just about to break out to be a #1. 

After awhile you are what you are and he was a backend starter who threw hard. Glad we got something of value. 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah I never got that with Gausman. People kept saying he was always just about to break out to be a #1. 

After awhile you are what you are and he was a backend starter who threw hard. Glad we got something of value. 

He had the fastball and the change, it was easy to say "if he can just get a decent breaking ball".

51 minutes ago, Whammer said:

He has a 5.97 ERA in the NL, and -1.4 WAR. Those are terrible numbers for him (both career lows) even if he was never an Ace. He is definitely underperforming.

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Some people don't understand this is a real organization with real $ that makes decisions with real financial implications.

A year after this trade our organization is ranked eighth in minor league talent according to Baseball America.

At last year's deadline, this organization looked at the possible 2019 major league payroll in relation to a 2019 budget and came to the decision that the cost certainty provided by the salary relief was the best way forward.  I think it is pretty obvious that decision makers chose wisely when in came time to trading Kevin Gausman.  As I mentioned, some folks just insist on missing the boat.  

I am OK with the Gausman trade, I am just saying I understand the people who didn't like that money was obviously a consideration. Trade KG straight up for prospects and it's a whole different conversation. Yes, we are #8 now, but that is mostly due to Rutschman and continued development of guys we already had. I haven't clicked through the paywall of the Baseball America article but I would guess that the guys we got from Atlanta account for approximately 0% of that ranking.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am OK with the Gausman trade, I am just saying I understand the people who didn't like that money was obviously a consideration. Trade KG straight up for prospects and it's a whole different conversation. Yes, we are #8 now, but that is mostly due to Rutschman and continued development of guys we already had. I haven't clicked through the paywall of the Baseball America article but I would guess that the guys we got from Atlanta account for approximately 0% of that ranking.

Had to get rid of that money. That's a rebuild for a small market. Sorry to belabor

Archived