2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Probably stating the obvious, but the offers are probably just too low. Givens is the worst he's been as a pro, so it makes sense for us to wait a year to let him rebuild value rather than sell low. As for Villar, they have to have 25 MLB-ish players on the roster to play games. Without anyone that can handle full-time duties ready to backfill him, maybe they're deciding to hold on to him in leiu of a poor return. 

We have plenty of guys who can replace him. Wilkerson is actually a second baseman, so he’s an immediate plug-in, Martin at short, three different guys ready to play third, with the other two handling back up duties. It won’t be a problem

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Probably stating the obvious, but the offers are probably just too low. Givens is the worst he's been as a pro, so it makes sense for us to wait a year to let him rebuild value rather than sell low. As for Villar, they have to have 25 MLB-ish players on the roster to play games. Without anyone that can handle full-time duties ready to backfill him, maybe they're deciding to hold on to him in leiu of a poor return. 

Well, the market is the market.  Elias can disagree with it and that's fine.  I believe you are correct in the idea that relievers can be volatile from year to year and maybe Givens gets better next year, maybe not.   

I don't think having a good replacement for Villar should hold them back from making a move.  Wilkerson at 2B could do the trick.  It's not great but whatever, not much about this season is.

Just now, Philip said:

Nothing wrong with that, although I really want to move Villar for something, given that he’ll probably be non-tendered this fall.

Forgot about that, getting something back for Villar would be nice even though if it's not much.  A 17 year old DSL prospect or two. :) 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I cannot imagine that the twins are done. They really need pitching, and actually, I bet they might be interested in Shawn Armstrong. He’s been a valuable pick up for the Orioles, and he’s basically free.

I would imagine an Armstrong deal would basically just be for International spending money or flier DSL player.

Just now, jamalshw said:

I would imagine an Armstrong deal would basically just be for International spending money or flier DSL player.

I'm wondering if they're viewing Armstrong as a nugget of sorts.  There was that Roch piece from a week or two ago that highlighted some subtle changes that seemed to have made a positive effect on him.

I don't think Elias is in the business of getting a guy like that, having his analytics and coaches make corrections to make that player better...only to turn around and trade that player pretty quickly.  I mean, maybe he does but Armstrong costs next to nothing and has turned himself around.  I think he stays.  

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I was expecting Armstrong and Fry to close if Givens is traded.

They should close with or without Givens being traded.  

I think if there's a goal to rebuilding Givens' value, you put him in a setup role and advertise him as such.  He's a 7th or 8th inning guy, not a closer.  

Archived