Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My prediction is AAA outfielder Fernando Perez:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/Fernando-Perez.shtml

The injury to Adam Jones has established that we do not have a true OF "prospect" in the upper levels that has the speed to play CF. Perez isn't more than a fringe prospect (too little power, too few walks, way too many Ks), but at only 25 he could still develop into a useful 4th OF who's speed would also play well off the bench late in games.

I was a little disappointed in MacPhail's announcement that the player received in the Bradford trade was a low minors guy. It's hard to be too disappointed when we don't know who the player is. I was hoping that this was not just a salary dump and that the O's got someone who would actually help them in the majors. But it looks like salary was a big factor in this trade.

I fully agree that Bradford had to be trade. But MacPhail probably had until next spring to trade him. Just have to wait and see what MacPhail got in return. The player does feel like it was the smaller part of the deal right now.

MacPhail's logic that he has depth at the righthanded reliever spot may be right, but the return is always important also.

Sometimes it feels like this team is being run on a shoe string budget and that should not be the case.

I was a little disappointed in MacPhail's announcement that the player received in the Bradford trade was a low minors guy. It's hard to be too disappointed when we don't know who the player is. I was hoping that this was not just a salary dump and that the O's got someone who would actually help them in the majors. But it looks like salary was a big factor in this trade.

I fully agree that Bradford had to be trade. But MacPhail probably had until next spring to trade him. Just have to wait and see what MacPhail got in return. The player does feel like it was the smaller part of the deal right now.

MacPhail's logic that he has depth at the righthanded reliever spot may be right, but the return is always important also.

Sometimes it feels like this team is being run on a shoe string budget and that should not be the case.

The fact that it is a low minors guy gives me more hope that we may get a good player. If it wasn't a low minors guy it would probably be an Adam Stern AAA roster filler type.

It was a waiver deal- do you really expect to get a top mlb-ready prospect for Bradford?

The fact that it is a low minors guy gives me more hope that we may get a good player. If it wasn't a low minors guy it would probably be an Adam Stern AAA roster filler type.

It was a waiver deal- do you really expect to get a top mlb-ready prospect for Bradford?

Bradford is ranked pretty high as a reliever. Possible Type A, sure Type B. That's a sandwich pick at worst.

I see your point about getting a better player and I hope you are right but it may be that Andy just decided that he wanted to save the $4.5M that was due Bradford. That's ok but the player should be important too.

I would be disappointed if it was just all about saving the money. However we don't really know at this point.

Bradford is ranked pretty high as a reliever. Possible Type A, sure Type B. That's a sandwich pick at worst.

I see your point about getting a better player and I hope you are right but it may be that Andy just decided that he wanted to save the $4.5M that was due Bradford. That's ok but the player should be important too.

I would be disappointed if it was just all about saving the money. However we don't really know at this point.

It's not sure thing that he will be a Type B player. He could come down with an arm injury and put a damper on the number of games he plays in. Thus, lowering his ranking. You have to look at what he does in 2008 and 2009 to judge what he will be. I've yet to find a way to predict the future... especially when it comes to pitchers. An aging pitcher at that, who will be 35 years old during the 2010 season.

Also, a ballclub has to be willing to offer that 35 year old pitcher arbitration. If he sticks with Tampa Bay, I doubt they will offer him arbitration, even if he was a Type A or Type B player.

It's not sure thing that he will be a Type B player. He could come down with an arm injury and put a damper on the number of games he plays in. Thus, lowering his ranking. You have to look at what he does in 2008 and 2009 to judge what he will be. I've yet to find a way to predict the future... especially when it comes to pitchers. An aging pitcher at that, who will be 35 years old during the 2010 season.

Also, a ballclub has to be willing to offer that 35 year old pitcher arbitration. If he sticks with Tampa Bay, I doubt they will offer him arbitration, even if he was a Type A or Type B player.

I hope you are talking about an injury in the next 7 weeks because that is when he will be ranked next. All players are ranked every year no matter if they are free agents or not. Bradford is well on his way to being a Type B, and possibly a Type A free agent this year.

I hope you are talking about an injury in the next 7 weeks because that is when he will be ranked next. All players are ranked every year no matter if they are free agents or not. Bradford is well on his way to being a Type B, and possibly a Type A free agent this year.

Bradford is signed through 2009, so it is a moot point at how he is ranked at the end of this year. The next time he will be a free agent is the end of the 2009 season. Thus, his ranking will come from what he has done for the 2008 and 2009 season.

Cot's Baseball Contracts

Bradford is signed through 2009, so it is a moot point at how he is ranked at the end of this year. The next time he will be a free agent is the end of the 2009 season. Thus, his ranking will come from what he has done for the 2008 and 2009 season.

Cot's Baseball Contracts

Agreed. But if a team is trying to establish his value they would use several factor. What others have paid for similar players, consider the salary, age, but also look at how he ranks vs other relievers. That is why the rankings are important even if he is not a free agent. It helps establish his value.

Archived