BA Midseason Top 100

VaBird1

As with many moments as we touch milestones of the rebuild, today's 4/41/53 trio really just whets my appetite for 12 months forward.

I've kind of already pegged both Yusniel and Mountcastle as more glue guys than front liners of the next good team.

Another 12 months of health for the pitchers, Rutschman holding serve (or pushing Wander Franco) and Emerson Hancock (or anyone else in the 2020 1-1 mix breaking out over the next 49 weeks), and the best case scenario is the Orioles then holding four of MLB's Top 20 prospects while we wonder if any of the first three get September 2020 cups of coffee (I bet they won't).

At that point we will probably still be in the Kumar Rocker mix for 2021.  I don't hope for a competitive team until 2022, but can see the first half of 2021 being a ton of fun.  We've got walk year Francisco Lindor to impress that season.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, Satyr3206 said:

I have always been amazed over the years by how many young hitters don't have strike zone awareness. That's the first thing any hitter should have.

I've heard a (fairly convincing) argument that bat speed and appropriate mechanics to utilize said bat speed is actually more important for strike zone awareness, because it allows a hitter to wait longer, and every millisecond counts.  I don't know enough about the mechanics of hitting to know whether that's a plausible argument, but it sounded good.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Combination.  Going into this season some still had hope that 3B was an option.  With a need at 3B the Orioles have made it clear that he has no future there.  Combine that last shred of hope with the extremely low walk rate and there you go, out of the top 100.

I thought maybe you had joined their staff!

Archived