Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Roll Tide

10 hours ago, LA2 said:

Your analogy machine isn't working too well! There are many more apt and recent examples. For example, Carl Crawford, Pablo Sandoval, and Prince Fielder.

My best comp is Ryan Howard.  His final contract with the Phillies was 5/125 for his age 32-36 seasons.  During that time he put up a whopping -4.6 WAR. There were injuries in 2012 and 2013, but the falloff was drastic even taking that into account.

I'm not convinced that looking to history will provide too much insight on the Chris Davis situation, but if we are going to go there, then it's worthwhile to point out that Howard stayed on the Phillies roster until the bitter end then cost the Phillies an additional $10 million after they declined his  2017 option.  No crazy talk about walking away out of "decency" from Ryan.  No siree...

It's been three full seasons since Howard last played a MLB game.  I wonder if during that time, a single person who wasn't some sports talk radio yahoo ever got in his face about that contract.  My guess is no.  I think CD understands that once his playing days are over, he can look forward to the second half of his life blissfully guilt-free in regard to his last Orioles contract.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Well, even if we cut him, won't he still technically be under contract.  They aren't gonna get out of paying him, so.... 

No.  He'll be a free agent and we'll still owe him everything except the minimum that is picked up by the signing team (as if that would ever happen!).

8 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Well, even if we cut him, won't he still technically be under contract.  They aren't gonna get out of paying him, so.... 

I always thought with the money he has left he'd be here all year.  If the plan is 3 #1's (or high pick target), there is reason to work with him and put him out there.  He is helping secure a lower pick.  And if he does anything they get something out of the deal.  Spring is the next best window and I still have a feeling it's end of 2020 season.  He is already paid, so cutting doesn't save money.  Cutting him and getting someone else costs more money.  And they aren't looking to win right now.

Elias made a comment that every move would have long term evaluation as a priority.  Right now, cutting Davis doesn't help get high draft picks, doesn't save money and may cost service time to another player.  It does suck watching him swing at crappy pitches and watching balls down the middle of the plate (seriously, sometimes I really don't get his pitch selection).  At the same time, at this point he's helpful in securing a higher pick. 

Maybe silly justification, but it does put me at peace with it. 

I think there is no chance that Elias wants Davis on the team to help secure the top draft pick.  For one thing, if that was the master plan, Davis would be playing more and hitting higher in the lineup.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

No.  He'll be a free agent and we'll still owe him everything except the minimum that is picked up by the signing team (as if that would ever happen!).

Well, we'd still be contractually obligated to pay him, but I won't pretend there are differences.  And I do base part of that comment on the fact that I doubt others will try him out as a reclamation attempt.  If I were Davis, I wouldn't try another team if cut loose. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think there is no chance that Elias wants Davis on the team to help secure the top draft pick.  For one thing, if that was the master plan, Davis would be playing more and hitting higher in the lineup.

Well, hopefully Hyde does get decisions with the lineup and Elias gives him the 40 man.  I'd like to think they talk a bit, but if I were Hyde, I'd play the same game. 

I'm not saying Elias is sabotaging the team on a level that others would.  My only point is cutting him doesn't really net anything at this point.

It's only money...

Personally, I hate that the Angelosii haven't released him.  I think it's bad for morale that he's on the team.  But, as they have in the past, the Angelosii seem to still be erring on the wrong side.  I can't imagine Elias has any allegiance to CD and since every other money contract has been jettisoned, I'd imagine that he'd feel CD's should be too.

Yet, the contract is a sunk cost.  And the payroll won't really change by releasing him because we're still on the hook.  So whatever. 

Pay him or pay him seems to be the choices.  No team in the league will sign him to play, but if they do sign him it will be a bonus to what we're required to pay.  Somehow THAT seems even a harder kick in the nuts.

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Davis reached his 10-year milestone today. With 10 years in the majors and at least five on his current team, he now has full no-trade rights and can refuse a trade to any team. 

No, I don't expect that to be an issue.

God hates the Orioles.  But don't let anybody tell you He doesn't have a sense of humor...

On 7/16/2019 at 2:48 PM, NCRaven said:

It will still count against payroll. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

It will still count against payroll. 

Correct, but if they could get an agreement with him to put the next $51 M (3*17) into the pot of deferred money and stretch out the payment schedule, the annual pain wouldn't be so great. Yeah I know, pipe dream.

Just now, AnythingO's said:

Correct, but if they could get an agreement with him to put the next $51 M (3*17) into the pot of deferred money and stretch out the payment schedule, the annual pain wouldn't be so great. Yeah I know, pipe dream.

Yep. MLBPA, Scott Boras. Nope. 

57 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Three of the Mets' five starting pitchers have higher OPSs than our mighty first baseman.

On the topic of pitchers hitting, I've always wanted to see what Zach Britton could do as a hitter.  He is 5/8 with a HR when he was a starter, and honestly his bat speed back then was far superior to Davis' current bat speed.

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought he was heating up again?

Maybe he's upset about missing the All Star game?

Actually he was hoping the Home Run Derby would fix his swing.

Archived