Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

So other mlb teams won’t trade with us because we care about the Latin American community. Another win for Elias. 

I believe that Can of Corn was stating that IF you throw another GM under a bus you probably should crawl under with him because of the lost respect from the remaining 28 GM's

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

On the flip side, the Padres got what everyone considered a steal when they traded Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza, who was a top 20 MLB prospect at the time of his trade.  Four years later and too many injuries to count, he has yet to pitch in AA ball and has been surpassed by countless other pitchers on their roster this year.  

It just goes to prove that prospects are a crap shoot.  

Anyone can get injured.  Espinoza had young Pedro Martinez stuff, but unfortunately has had a Hunter Harvey career so far.

Cashner was bad last year with a 5.29 ERA and 1.58 WHIP (so no trade value).  Elias did a good job selling high and getting two high upside lottery tickets.  I trust that his staff knows these kids very well and think they have very high upside.

2 hours ago, mdoriolefan said:

I guess Givens will go for a bag of balls if this is what we get for Cashner.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

As we have usually gotten in the last few years....NADA.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Well this makes it a little bit more of a head scratcher. They gave them out for nothing and they’re paying most of his salary

21 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Who is upset & who has called either prospect worthless? Do you always enter threads straws blazin?

Bag of Balls, Nada, and Nothing are pretty synonymous with worthless.  Or am I missing something? Enlighten me.

1 minute ago, Go_Os said:

Anyone can get injured.  Espinoza had young Pedro Martinez stuff, but unfortunately has had Hunter Harvey career so far.

Cashner was bad last year with a 5.29 ERA and 1.58 WHIP (so no trade value).  Elias did a good job selling high and getting two high upside lottery tickets.  I trust that his staff knows these kids very well and think they have very high upside.

Exactly my point.  It's a crap shoot.  David Andrews released an app a few years ago to help parents track how much their kids pitched at the high school level because what he found out is that, by the time these kids are drafted out of HS or go to college, they have so many miles on their arm that they are a ticking time bomb for elbow and shoulder injuries.  He had parents coming to him and other colleagues asking for "preventative" Tommy John surgery.  Who knows how much Espinoza pitched as a kid/teenager before coming to the Boston/San Diego organizations, and if that ruined him or not.  

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t think either way you mention makes any logical sense.

IF Cashner gets 80 more IP, his 2020 option vested for $10M.   He's averaging 5.2IP per start with 14-15 starts left.  My mistake on the numbers; had he stayed in Baltimore this season, the Orioles would pay about $13.7M through 2020. 

The Orioles still have to pay $4.7M on his deal after this trade.

The Angelos' see the $4.7M and need to see they're saving around $9M overall.

Bad trade. I see people going the "well Cashner wasn't that good anyway" route on here but they're trying to convince themselves more than anything. Cashner was a decent pitcher who had a bad year last year but appears to have righted things this year. The trade would have been fine as a salary dump, but if the O's really are paying most of his salary, then the trade makes no sense at all.

6 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Bad trade. I see people going the "well Cashner wasn't that good anyway" route on here but they're trying to convince themselves more than anything. Cashner was a decent pitcher who had a bad year last year but appears to have righted things this year. The trade would have been fine as a salary dump, but if the O's really are paying most of his salary, then the trade makes no sense at all.

From my understanding, they are essentially paying the signing bonus money and approximately half of the salary remaining, items that they were already responsible for, to avoid the $9 million option for next year.  So about $4.7 million to save $9 million as someone said earlier.  

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

From my understanding, they are essentially paying the signing bonus money and approximately half of the salary remaining, items that they were already responsible for, to avoid the $9 million option for next year.  So about $4.7 million to save $9 million as someone said earlier.  

They would have to be incompetent for that option to vest.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They would have to be incompetent for that option to vest.

So you essentially bench the guy for the final month of the year so the option doesn't vest, and how many players/agents does a new GM turn off before he even has a year on the job?  Quite a few, I would imagine. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

So you essentially bench the guy for the final month of the year so the option doesn't vest, and how many players/agents does a new GM turn off before he even has a year on the job?  Quite a few, I would imagine. 

Huh?

90 games into the season he's at 96.1 innings, the option vests at 187 IP.  Why exactly would they have to "essentially bench the guy for the final month" to keep it from vesting?

For the record Cashner has never pitched 187 innings in a season.

Baseball America weighs in

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/trade-central-red-sox-acquire-cashner-from-orioles/

Orioles Acquire
Elio Prado, OF
DSL Red Sox
Prado was a relatively low-cost signing of the Red Sox out of Venezuela last year, but he’s quickly impressed in his very limited pro career. He runs well enough to potentially stay in center field and has a more advanced batting eye than the average teenager in the Dominican Summer League. Prado’s upside is as a center fielder with power and speed, but there are many years and many levels to master before he reaches that ceiling.

Noelberth Romero, SS
DSL Red Sox 2
Romero was the bigger name when the Red Sox signed this pair a year ago. A smooth defender with soft hands, a feel for the game and the actions to stay in the dirt, Romero has primarily played third base this season, although he should be able to handle shortstop or second base as well. He has a strong arm that may be plus one day. Like many young DSL players, a lot of his offensive potential will depend on how he fills out over the next half decade, but he has a smooth righthanded swing.

17 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Or, they are trading Cashner to save $1.7 million in salary + $400k in international signing assets that have been scouted in DSL and hand picked.

Archived