Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cy Bundy said:

That’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever read.

I'm agreeing with you there.  Unless some long range play exists that I can't figure out I don't see where it makes a difference if the talent acquired in a trade is international or domestic.  Hence my line about winning a DSL title.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I'd expect another international player, but one who is a bit more accomplished than the two Cashner brought back. Elias really wants to improve the level of international talent. That may be the best way to show Dominican families that the O's intend to be players for top talent next year and beyond.

Frankly it's a really really bad idea as the hit rate on J2 talent is even worse than the rule 4 draft. When you're in talent acquisition phase you don't worry about where the talent comes from or what position they play.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd expect another international player, but one who is a bit more accomplished than the two Cashner brought back. Elias really wants to improve the level of international talent. That may be the best way to show Dominican families that the O's intend to be players for top talent next year and beyond.

I don't think going to one of these families and mentioning that the O's traded for a couple of 17 year olds is going to be moving any needles.

I guess maybe if the player in question is a close relative?

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Frankly it's a really really bad idea as the hit rate on J2 talent is even worse than the rule 4 draft. When you're in talent acquisition phase you don't worry about where the talent comes from or what position they play.

If you're making a new commitment to international signings you want to become competitive with other teams as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think going to one of these families and mentioning that the O's traded for a couple of 17 year olds is going to be moving any needles.

I guess maybe if the player in question is a close relative?

I'm assuming that all the top kids have advisers who keep them abreast of what the teams are doing. 

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

If you're making a new commitment to international signings you want to become competitive with other teams as soon as possible.

I don't see how this helps.

You are the parent of one of these kids, does this trade make you more likely to advise your son to sign with the O's?

I don't think it does.  Whatever he's doing I don't think it's that.

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

97. 1 innings and needs 187 to convert it to a player option.  Although if he does well, he might be a cheap 5th starter replacement at 10 million  for them next year as the team has the option if he doesn’t get to 187. 

Another place states it would be 360 innings total in 2018-2019 and that he is at 249.1 combined which leaves 110.9 to become a player option.   Unlikely to get that many even without manipulation. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Another place states it would be 360 innings total in 2018-2019 and that he is at 249.1 combined which leaves 110.9 to become a player option.   Unlikely to get that many even without manipulation. 

That's for it to be a player option. He only needs to hit a combined 340 for the option to be guaranteed by both parties.

Archived