Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Having said all that, Martin is a guy who seems much better than these stats suggest.   I don’t mean to say he’s a gold glover, but he’s far from the hack these stats make him out to be, IMO.

Martin also has fewer major league innings at short than what's necessary to trust his metrics.  It's entirely possible that he was on the bad side of luck in types of balls hit his direction in his first 500 innings.  He may actually be an average SS who fell victim to bad random distribution of baseballs while playing behind a pitching staff that gives up an ungodly number of well-struck balls in play.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Has dWAR/UZR/DRS changed a lot over the years to account for better data, defensive positioning, etc? I'm just skeptical of 10-year-old methods being used in today's game of infielders positioned in the outfield grass all the time.

Outstanding provocative and spot on post and analysis.

Too bad we no longer have the second round of the trade deadline.  The Braves just optioned Johan Camargo down to AAA.  He was having an awful year trying to be a utility-man after having a really good all-around season at 3rd base at 24 years old starting for a playoff team.  Maybe it was him being distraught about losing his starting job.  I don't think he's lost his ability - he's a guy who has shown the ability to play SS well - even though he did it poorly this season - and was outstanding defensively at 3B last season.  Offensively, it looked like last season was a breakthrough, and he's been solid throughout his career.  Maybe a trade target this offseason?  Or can minor league trades still be made now - even if Camargo has a major league contract?  I'm guessing no.     

Archived