Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Best I can do is put Villar there and bring up Jace Peterson for 2B.

But I'm not advocating for Richie Martin's release either.

Villar would definitely be the today answer, but there are good reasons why people aren't suggesting him. 

I'd still rather Martin improves/gets ABs then sign alcides Escobar again (I dont see stats so I'm assuming he's out there).  

The upside is there more then others, even if its low.  I'd rather this (for this team) then other options I see out there.  Yes it sucks, just like the team does right now.  It's what we all should have seen coming for 2019.  

Do your best Martin, hopefully you can figure this league out.  

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This would also allow us to possibly finagle that extra year of control that @Can_of_corn is always going on about.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That's what I keep telling CoC! ?

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know some folks are going to believe you right?

Everyone knows Corn would rather extend him. Think 7/$32M gets it done? Albies got 35 but he’s probably a bit better than Martin. 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

3 pages in and I still haven't heard a reasonable alternative at SS.  

For this year, or next?  I haven’t studied the pending free agent list, but it wouldn’t be hard to find a cheap alternative who could exceed .492 OPS and -1.4 rWAR.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

For this year, or next?  I haven’t studied the pending free agent list, but it wouldn’t be hard to find a cheap alternative who could exceed .492 OPS and -1.4 rWAR.    

Now.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Shortstop has also changed pretty massively since Belanger's era.  In 2019 the median shortstop (min 25 games) has an OPS+ of 104.  In 1968 that number was 79.  In 1979 it was 76.  In '79 Mario Mendoza had a 25, from slashing .198/.216/.249, and there were 13 others under .600 in 100+ PAs.

In Belanger's time a 100 OPS+ was very good for a shortstop.  Today we have guys like Tatis Jr with a 168.  The average hitting shortstop today is on par with the very best of 40 years ago.

This begs the question of why we continue to give SS so many runs for being SS, if they by and large are league-average hitters.

Ah yes, right on schedule.  The mandatory all-star break-ish "let's cut our Rule 5 guys for some contrived reason instead of keeping them on the team for two more months during a pointless losing season" thread.   You know, if a another week had passed without this being posted, I might have become worried.  

10 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Ah yes, right on schedule.  The mandatory all-star break-ish "let's cut our Rule 5 guys for some contrived reason instead of keeping them on the team for two more months during a pointless losing season" thread.   You know, if a another week had passed without this being posted, I might have become worried.  

Yes, right on schedule. A poster telling another poster what to/not to post regarding the Orioles on an Orioles message board. Isn't the point of this message board for us to chat about the Orioles as if we were at the bar or at the game? I doubt you would tell a fellow fan, 'sorry, we've met our quota on that topic", instead you would just enjoy the conversation with a fellow fan. This message board would get a lot more activity if the posting police interacted with fellow posters as they would in public.  In case you haven't noticed, this team completely stinks and there aren’t many interesting things to talk about.

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Best I can do is put Villar there and bring up Jace Peterson for 2B.

But I'm not advocating for Richie Martin's release either.

You’ve obviously never seen Jace Peterson play, have you?

Martin hits like I do, but his head is always in the game. He makes mistakes, but not stupid ones.

Rather have him any day.

3 hours ago, MMussina35 said:

Yes, right on schedule. A poster telling another poster what to/not to post regarding the Orioles on an Orioles message board. Isn't the point of this message board for us to chat about the Orioles as if we were at the bar or at the game? I doubt you would tell a fellow fan, 'sorry, we've met our quota on that topic", instead you would just enjoy the conversation with a fellow fan. This message board would get a lot more activity if the posting police interacted with fellow posters as they would in public.  In case you haven't noticed, this team completely stinks and there aren’t many interesting things to talk about.

There is  Martin thread.  Not every thought deserves a new thread.

Archived