Montanez not playing is a joke

mikezpen

Well, there are a ton of stupid people out there...Not sure how that can be denied.

But this goes back to what i said...People being too sensitive and blowing things out of proportion..This is a freakin message board...Who cares if someone says that..How does it impact your life? Why does it bother you so much? Why go on and on about it?

And Chris was clearly not talking about him being a superior person....he was obviously talking about knowledge of the game. The only reason anyone would read that any differently is because they want to.

I read it at face value. I didn't read anything into it at all.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the front office would offer arbitration to Payton under any circumstance, and they might with Millar if we don't get Tex, but I'm not sure at what date they would have to make this decision.
They can reach an agreement with the player that we will offer arbitration but they won't accept.

I have little doubt that Millar would agree to such a pact, Payton is less likely, IMO, but I don't think he'll be a Type B FA either.

Can Lou play a decent CF? Or better yet has Lou played any CF in the minors?

His fielding stats aren't broken down by specific outfield position (LF, CF or RF) other than the last couple of years.

In 2007, all 30 of his outfield apperances at Bowie came in center. He made 3 errors for a poor .963 fielding pct.

When he was at Norfolk in 2007, Montanez played center only twice in 94 outfield appearances, committing 1 error while there for a miserable .833 fielding pct.

Back at Bowie in 2008, he played center in 6 of his 106 outfield games, playing errorless ball there.

Sure fielding percentage tell you very little, but it's clear that minor league skippers don't view Montanez as a viable centerfielder, so for real baseball as opposed to fantasy leagues, there's no reason to try to get by with him at one of the most important defensive positions on the field.

For what it's worth, when Montanez started his career as an infielder, he was an error machine at both SS & 2B.

Can Lou play a decent CF? Or better yet has Lou played any CF in the minors?

He has played in CF very sparingly...My argument for playing him isn't really about sitting Payton...it is about sitting several players and getting Lou good playing time.

It doesn't have to be about Payton and I think some are losing sight of this.

Trembley does exhibit the "Hargrove" style of managing. I think Lou should go back to Bowie, unless you're gonna play him daily.

I think Montanez got the call instead of Reimold in part because the club was more reluctant to potentially hamper Reimold's development by having him play sparingly in the majors.

With Montanez, just being here is a reward. If he makes it, great, but nobody's counting on him so the risks of having bench time hold him back are negligible.

I think Montanez got the call instead of Reimold in part because the club was more reluctant to potentially hamper Reimold's development by having him play sparingly in the majors.

With Montanez, just being here is a reward. If he makes it, great, but nobody's counting on him so the risks of having bench time hold him back are negligible.

This post is spot on correct. To me, these points can't be logically argued against.

But that doesn't mean they(they being the Orioles, not you boom boom) are correct.

He has played in CF very sparingly...My argument for playing him isn't really about sitting Payton...it is about sitting several players and getting Lou good playing time.

It doesn't have to be about Payton and I think some are losing sight of this.

Well that lives him to play LF. It will be kinda hard to get him playing time when he will only play during Markakis off days (once a month?) in RF and when one of Mora, Huff, or Millar takes a day off (which should be a lot more than it is).

Originally Posted by Boom Boom

I disagree. They guy has worked his butt off this year, and his reward is bench time on the big club? What kind of message does this send to the rest of the "lower prospects" trying their hardest to prove their worth? The guy's a possible triple crown winner in AA ball. Isn't that worth SOMETHING?

Archived