Tanner Scott

weams

Seems like a good developmental plan. With our season in the tank there is no need to fast track him as a reliever. I don't know if we ever would have anyway. I don't remembering Buck mentioning him as an option. 

I like that they are at least having him try a 3rd pitch. 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like a good developmental plan. With our season in the tank there is no need to fast track him as a reliever. I don't know if we ever would have anyway. I don't remembering Buck mentioning him as an option. 

I like that they are at least having him try a 3rd pitch. 

He'll be the next Chapman if he has that 3rd pitch. 

o

Although Scott did cede an earned run for the first time in a month, he also had 6 Strikeouts and 0 Walks

All 9 outs that he recorded came via the Strikeout and the Groundout

9 OUTS: )  6 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Binghamton, 6/21)

IP:;)..l) 3))

H:))ll.)  5 ll (5 Singles)

R:l))l.lll 1

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 6

Pitches: l) 48 )(34 )Strikes, )14 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.50 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.190 )(AA-Bowie) )  42.00 IP (50 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .169 )(AA-Bowie) )  24 for 142

PITCHES BY INNING 

10 ll(91 llStrikes, 1 .lBalls)

18 l.(12 llStrikes, . 6 llBalls)

20 ..(13 llStrikes, .l7 .lBalls)

o

Clearly Scott has the stuff to succeed as a ML reliever. Whether he's dominating back-end power arm or an enigmatic hard-throwing AAAA player will depend on what happens between his ears. I don't know if there is a way to develop the mental game required to thrive in high-leverage situations. Some guys just have it.  

2 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Clearly Scott has the stuff to succeed as a ML reliever. Whether he's dominating back-end power arm or an enigmatic hard-throwing AAAA player will depend on what happens between his ears. I don't know if there is a way to develop the mental game required to thrive in high-leverage situations. Some guys just have it.  

Hopefully this off season they start to convert him to reliever and do it again next season to see if he can handle the situations.

18 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=32128

Here is a baseball prospectus scouting report of his 6/2/17 start.

This was one of his least impressive games this season IMHO. Still a 50 realistic value is damn solid, it's good to see that others think highly of him as well.

Their 6/7 report by Greg Goldstein gives him credit for having a great fastball and a below average slider - no other pitches.  He gave him awful grades for command and control.  

On 6/16/2017 at 11:05 AM, glenn__davis said:

They interviewed him on the Scott Garceau show few weeks back.  Seemed like a very mature young man.  Recognized that he needs to do a better job of harnessing his fastball - he was well aware of it.  I think he said he only started pitching his senior year of HS.  I generally share your skepticism, but always nice to hear players recognize where they need to improve.  And I agree with what you say - keep to the program with him.

Either that high school had one hell of a pitching staff before his senior year or his high school coach was as big a nitwit as mine was.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he didn't try out for the team until his senior year.

Let's start a Tanner Scott mythology. He didn't start playing high school ball until his senior year because he had to do chores on the farm. Fortunately in the fall the high school coach drove by a saw him throwing fallen chestnuts through the side of the barn. Had an older brother with a bat named Wonderboy.

Just now, George Zuverink said:

Let's start a Tanner Scott mythology. He didn't start playing high school ball until his senior year because he had to do chores on the farm. Fortunately in the fall the high school coach drove by a saw him throwing fallen chestnuts through the side of the barn. Had an older brother with a bat named Wonderboy.

Kenny Rodgers didn't play until his senior year.

Lorenzo Cain didn't play until his junior year.

Patrick Corbin didn't play until his junior year.

Not sure why, without any evidence one way or another, you care to act like my hypothesis is somehow ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kenny Rodgers didn't play until his senior year.

Lorenzo Cain didn't play until his junior year.

Patrick Corbin didn't play until his junior year.

Not sure why, without any evidence one way or another, you care to act like my hypothesis is somehow ridiculous.

Sorry if you took it that way. Not intended as anything but having fun.

Archived