50,000,000th Fan Contest

McNulty

A Red Sox fan will win, the Orioles will have no choice but to give them the prizes, and I will probably shoot up a post office

First of all, if/when an Oriole fan wins, we'll have to believe that they legitimately won it unless there's evidence to the contrary. But if it truly is a Red Sox fan, we have to assume that this person won't know it's him unless the usher says something. If I'm the usher, I'm keeping my mouth shut and waiting for the next Oriole fan that comes through the gate. The problem will arise when a Boston fan comes through the turnstile and doesn't think twice about the weird look the usher givves him, until the Oriole fan behind him wins the thing. Then he'll start to wonder if it wasn't in fact him that rightfully won, and the usher didn't say anything. The entire concept is a great idea, but the mistake they're making is offering a sum of money like fifty thousand dollars. When you're talking about denominations like that, there'll be discrepancies (regardless of team affiliation). Someone will claim that they came through at the exact same time, or that they were discriminated against because they were a Red Sox fan, or something like that. What happens when the true 50 millionth fan is a seven year old boy...will he get the money and the season tickets? In theory this is a great idea and it should be a wonderful celebration, but there'll be someone that'll try to claim they got cheated. And for the record if it does end up being a Sox fan and they don't try to fix the results, I'll be right there with you shooting up that post office.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, if/when an Oriole fan wins, we'll have to believe that they legitimately won it unless there's evidence to the contrary. But if it truly is a Red Sox fan, we have to assume that this person won't know it's him unless the usher says something. If I'm the usher, I'm keeping my mouth shut and waiting for the next Oriole fan that comes through the gate. The problem will arise when a Boston fan comes through the turnstile and doesn't think twice about the weird look the usher givves him, until the Oriole fan behind him wins the thing. Then he'll start to wonder if it wasn't in fact him that rightfully won, and the usher didn't say anything. The entire concept is a great idea, but the mistake they're making is offering a sum of money like fifty thousand dollars. When you're talking about denominations like that, there'll be discrepancies (regardless of team affiliation). Someone will claim that they came through at the exact same time, or that they were discriminated against because they were a Red Sox fan, or something like that. What happens when the true 50 millionth fan is a seven year old boy...will he get the money and the season tickets? In theory this is a great idea and it should be a wonderful celebration, but there'll be someone that'll try to claim they got cheated. And for the record if it does end up being a Sox fan and they don't try to fix the results, I'll be right there with you shooting up that post office.

Trust me, dude an usher will not be in charge of awarding $50,000 to anybody. The usher will likely not know what's going on until someone he let throught the turnstile is approached by O's officials. What you claim will not be an issue. The O's have already said that they will designate a fan at the appropriate time and gate that the 50 millionth fan woul;d have walked in the gate!!

Trust me, dude an usher will not be in charge of awarding $50,000 to anybody. The usher will likely not know what's going on until someone he let throught the turnstile is approached by O's officials. What you claim will not be an issue. The O's have already said that they will designate a fan at the appropriate time and gate that the 50 millionth fan woul;d have walked in the gate!!

Well whomever is in charge of IDing the winner better be sure that they ID the "right person." Seriously, our fanbase has had to deal with a lot of sh*t these past few years. The occasional public story about how many visiting fans come to our stadium, attendance problems, 30-3, the Manny lovefest earlier this year, etc. The media would just eat up a story about a Boston fan winning this thing, and our fanbase would once again be ridiculed publically. Lol in fact, assuming the winner is an O's fan if they're asked to make a public statement of some sort, they should say something about the Sox fans getting the fcuk out of our stadium.

This is one contest that has to be fixed.

That is all.

I really hope so. Red Sox fans are probably the type to organize something where they'd wear Oriole gear in order to have a chance to win the thing. I've looked at a couple of their boards, and nobody's posting anything like that, so that's good. If there is a fix (which I'm sure there is), they'd better do it clean and tight, because if it appears that they're passing over someone because they're a Boston fan, it's going to turn into a huge cluster fcuk.

This has already been posted on ad nauseum, and the Orioles have already made a statement that a random person would be selected near the gate at which the ticket gets scanned... not necessarily the exact 50,000,000th person. It is likely they are doing this so they can pick someone in black and orange.

/thread

This has already been posted on ad nauseum, and the Orioles have already made a statement that a random person would be selected near the gate at which the ticket gets scanned... not necessarily the exact 50,000,000th person. It is likely they are doing this so they can pick someone in black and orange.

/thread

So, probably some guy there with his family with maybe a couple cute kids in O's gear then.

Anyone hearing any updates on this? I heard there are less than 10,000 tickets left for Monday's game which means it probably happens then. Im trying to decide whether to get tickets for Monday or Tuesday.

If it does happen Monday it will be one of the last fans to get in the game, obviously.

Usually fans are still strolling in during the first and second inning.

So if it does happen Monday it will happen after the game has started, most likely. So if you get tickets, you will have to wait until the game has started before trying to go into the ballpark. But anyone who wants to win it should realize this as well....so will there be thousands of people not going into the stadium before the game and waiting until the game starts? I know if I had a ticket for Monday, I'd be darn sure that 40,000 fans got in the ballpark before me before I'd go near a turnstile. So will they wind up with 30,000 people milling about outside the ballpark waiting for others to go in first?

And if it happens Tuesday it will happen very early, shortly after the gates open. If the Monday total comes REAL close to the number but doesn't quite make it, there will probably be people camping out to be first when the gates open.

I will be out of town, visting my mother for her 80th birthday, Sat-Wed, so I will miss all the fun. I'm shooting to be the 100,000,000th fan in a couple weeks.

Good luck!

Anyone hearing any updates on this? I heard there are less than 10,000 tickets left for Monday's game which means it probably happens then. Im trying to decide whether to get tickets for Monday or Tuesday.

If they're choosing someone randomly, I would suspect that it won't matter who comes in when. I would suspect that (assuming it is a random contest), that the winner will be chosen sometime between 6 PM and 6:30 PM. All of the pre-game festivities on the field usually take place between 6:40 and gametime, so they'll probably have a presentation with a big check at that time. So assuming the threshold has been crossed, that's probably the money time to go into the stadium.

If they're choosing someone randomly, I would suspect that it won't matter who comes in when. I would suspect that (assuming it is a random contest), that the winner will be chosen sometime between 6 PM and 6:30 PM. All of the pre-game festivities on the field usually take place between 6:40 and gametime, so they'll probably have a presentation with a big check at that time. So assuming the threshold has been crossed, that's probably the money time to go into the stadium.

OK, so what happens if it's 6:30 and they haven't sold the magic ticket # yet? But they are close? What if they don't sell the magic ticket # until 6:55, or maybe not at all. At 6:30 they won't know whether they're going to hit the # or not. 43,000 is a huge crowd for a Monday night but we're hearing sales are good so it could be a close call one way or another.

Archived