50,000,000th Fan Contest

McNulty

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone posted this from Zrebiec's article today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes18aug18,0,6361872.story

The Orioles will be monitoring the attendance electronically, and when it gets close they'll have representatives at each gate communicating via walkie-talkies. Because several gates will be opened simultaneously for fan convenience, the official 50 millionth visitor will be somewhat of a judgment call.

"The club does have some flexibility in that it is not technically a contest," communications director Greg Bader said. "It's more of a situation where we are awarding a door prize to an individual that happens to be walking in at the right time."

And so it's a good bet the winner won't be wearing a David Ortiz jersey

In other ways, they are going to do everything possible to make sure the winner is an O's fan, not a Sox fan.

Just curious....how will the Oriole's FO, or better yet, O's fans, react if the 50M "fan" turns out to be a Red Sox fan....or worse yet, a Sox fan in town from Boston just for the games?....:eek::angryfire:

Than it will be Red Sox fan wearing Orioles memorabilia...

Just curious....how will the Oriole's FO, or better yet, O's fans, react if the 50M "fan" turns out to be a Red Sox fan....or worse yet, a Sox fan in town from Boston just for the games?....:eek::angryfire:

I don't have a link to the article I read but a representative from the O's admitted that there isn't an exact way to tell who will be the 50,000,000th to pass through the gates, but they'll know around that time and that gives them leeway to pick a person "whom the orioles fanbase will be proud of"

I don't have a link to the article I read but a representative from the O's admitted that there isn't an exact way to tell who will be the 50,000,000th to pass through the gates, but they'll know around that time and that gives them leeway to pick a person "whom the orioles fanbase will be proud of"

What Wedge posted...

Anita Marks had Greg Bader [Orioles PR] on yesterday, and he said that they'd that when they receive word from the ticket scanner info that 50 mil has come in, they'll notify that gate, where attendants will be standing by to designate an appropriate fan. He basically said it's impossible for them to get it perfectly right, which I think is also a clever way of them making sure it's an O's fan. So while it's somewhat random, it's not completely random. Now, to answer your question, he also mentioned that they'd be given a pregame or in game ceremony "based on the timing." So basically, if that person comes in after probably about 5 minutes pre-game, they'll do it in game.

At least we shouldnt also have to worry about the 100 millionth fan being a Yankees fan this weekend (Sunday probably) if they're being selective about it. That would be the absolute worst wouldnt it?

Yeah, but if it's a "selective, un-scientific process," there's no way it'll be a Yankee fan.

I'm heading early tonight, right after work. What gate do you guys think will be the best. My guess is that they have already decided which gate to pick someone from, and that there isn't reps at all the gates. I'm thinking of either the North or South sides of the warehouse. Maybe South, since it is closer to home plate???? Any thoughts? Thanks, Larry

Archived