Just walk him

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm aware.  Maybe Harper was a bad choice, specifically because Harper and Trout are somewhat linked in the eyes of people. 

My point was that Trout hasn't had one season that stands head and shoulders above the rest, it's a very high level of consistent excellence.  Harper has one year that's clearly better than the rest.  I think most players have a career year or two.  Maybe three or four if they're lucky.  

Trout is in his age 27 season, approaching to be what's considered the prime age for a ballplayer.  It'll be interesting to see if he keeps stringing along seasons like he has or pushes it to another gear in his prime years.  

I know the point you were making.  I was just putting into more perspective how good Trout is.

if he can put together a 160 game season at his peak he could put up a 13 maybe 14 win season.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Better yet, throw it six inches off the plate and get the call. One of the finer moments of 2014:

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/gif-bud-norris-mike-trout-crotch-grab-53192.html

I think you crashed their server... ?

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

58 minutes ago, bobmc said:

He's also gone from four to five tools!  Had a 98.6 throw on a fly to the plate to nail Muncy theo other night.

Man that is a frozen rope! To about one foot in front of home plate, one foot off the ground.

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm aware.  Maybe Harper was a bad choice, specifically because Harper and Trout are somewhat linked in the eyes of people. 

My point was that Trout hasn't had one season that stands head and shoulders above the rest, it's a very high level of consistent excellence.  Harper has one year that's clearly better than the rest.  I think most players have a career year or two.  Maybe three or four if they're lucky.  

Trout is in his age 27 season, approaching to be what's considered the prime age for a ballplayer.  It'll be interesting to see if he keeps stringing along seasons like he has or pushes it to another gear in his prime years.  

Arguably, it could be this year.   He’s on pace for 50+ homers (previous high 41) and 125+ RBI (previous high 111), in addition to career highs in slugging and OPS.

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even Babe Ruth had the WOW! seasons. I think 1920 and '27.

Just now, Frobby said:

Arguably, it could be this year.   He’s on pace for 50+ homers (previous high 41) and 125+ RBI (previous high 111), in addition to career highs in slugging and OPS.

I wonder if he every misses his neck and wonders if it is all worth it?

This might be stupid, but if you’re tuned into this series make sure you pay attention to Mike Trout. You’re living history. When you’re really old (if you aren’t already), it will be important to tell people that you saw Mike Trout play.

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

It baffles me that the Angels choose to not build a playoff-caliber team around him.

You can say that the CJ Wilson and Albert Pujols contracts had some to do with it, but Arte Moreno really got gunshy for spending after the debacle of Josh Hamilton.  

Heres the problem- they spent $11 million on Matt Harvey, and $9 million on Trevor Cahill this off-season.  Why not combine that and spend it on a TORP that you desperately need?  Or get a decent closer instead of giving $4 million to Cody Allen?  

This is an owner who used to spend with the best of them, and now he's not.  There's really no excuse for it, especially when you have Mike Trout to build around.  

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if he every misses his neck and wonders if it is all worth it?

He didn't have a neck as a rookie.  He probably was born with a massive rippling blob of muscle covering what would be his neck.

The thing is, we don't really do iBB's as a team anymore (only Astros have fewer this year).

Tonight tie game, 2 out, man on 3rd, Givens pitched to Trout and struck him out.  Even Thorne and Palmer in the booth started out "no way Trout gets to hit here", then were mildly surprised when we pitched to him.

Archived