Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/26)

OFFNY

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

When Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens died the other day at 99, it was noted that he was in the stands at Wrigley Field and saw babe Ruth call his shot, and then live to see the Cubs win the World Series.

That reminded me of Harry Truman who was born in the 1890s and was probably almost an adult before I ever saw an automobile. By the time he was president he was commander and chief of the military that had fighter planes with jets and he ordered dropped an atomic bomb.  and then he lived to see man walk on the moon. All in one lifespan. Amazing when you think about it.

Someone born in 1890 living to 1970 watched the world go from horse and steam power to space flight. I doubt any other 80- year period in human history will ever see as much technological progress.

But I wonder about the things that were left behind. What did the people who lived that span regret losing? How blue was the sky they saw?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SteveA said:

So who would we pitch tonight other than the new guys?  You don't think we'll get a CG out of a guy who threw 100+ pitches in a 100+ degree day 5 days ago, do you?

If EXTREMELY needed, I would use Fry to get out of an inning, at most. With this lead, let Wojo get as much use as possible. 

Bleier could also go an inning, if he does it quick as he only had 3 pitches last night.

Other than that, use Phillip's and Tate. Give the rest of the pen a day of rest.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

No KiddIng? I'm a big believer in stats, but I just can't believe that Martin is that bad. And Villar Too often makes Dumb mental mistakes that I've never seen Martin make.

Martin has above average range, but needs to tighten up the accuracy on his throws.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Someone born in 1890 living to 1970 watched the world go from horse and steam power to space flight. I doubt any other 80- year period in human history will ever see as much technological progress.

But I wonder about the things that were left behind. What did the people who lived that span regret losing? How blue was the sky they saw?

I think you underestimate progress. The internet was barely a thing in 1990 (I know it was started in 1970) and look at it now. Phones, medical progress, INDIA has a lander headed to the moon right now. The ISS, plans for Mars, Europa, any othe number of moons in the solar system. This progress curve will continue thru this century I think. Amazing things we can't even dream of yet.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If EXTREMELY needed, I would use Fry to get out of an inning, at most. With this lead, let Wojo get as much use as possible. 

Bleier could also go an inning, if he does it quick as he only had 3 pitches last night.

Other than that, use Phillip's and Tate. Give the rest of the pen a day of rest.

Wouldn't that be FOUR days in a row for Bleier???  Would Hyde really do that?

Archived