Hold on... What if the lineup is further along than we think?

sportsfan8703

22 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Alberto has "emerged" into being a below average offensive player while hitting .313. It is very impressive, but not because he has turned into a good player.

I'd like to see Nunez get more time on defense. It wasn't an issue for him until spring training this year. I think there must still be something going on with his arm.

It's still too early to buy into pretty much everyone. Santander was struggling in the minors the last few years before getting hot after being called up. Mountcastle still has serious discipline issues. Hays can't stay healthy and productive. We still don't know who the real Mancini is and I'd still like him shopped while he is in the midst of what looks like it will be the best season of his career so far offensively. 

Long story short: I don't think that lineup is likely to be above average.

Concur with all of this, save for shopping Trey; I’d like to keep him at any cost within reason.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Oh boy!  It's actually not the strikeouts. At least not yet.  It's the lack of walks. The strikeouts could spike at the ML level but Tony and Luke, especially, seem pretty confident that Mountcastle is a pure hitter who should be productive at the ML level.  Sisco's strikeout rate in AAA was much worse than Mountcastle's even this year even though I can't cite the stats right now.

2218 appearances in minors with 424 Ks and 231 BBs for Sisco

2080 appearances with 415 Ks and 91 BBs for Mountcastle

735 appearances over 3 seasons at AAA Norfolk for Sisco with 179 Ks for a 4.1 appearances/k ratio

416 appearances this year at AAA Norfolk for Mountcastle with 99 Ks  for a 4.2 appearances per K ratio. 

Sisco takes many more BBs than Mountcastle does and they strike out at a pretty close rate in the minors. 

To be clear, our offense is 13th/15 in runs scored and 12th/13th in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS.    And that’s after being relatively hot for about a month.   So I wouldn’t say our offense is anywhere close to “average.”   Even if you eliminated Davis and Martin entirely, we’d still be well below average.    

You have 5 top 100 prospects and that does not include Hays who was in the top 100.  All of whom could be up in some point in 2021.  The question is whether you want this core to show they are a playoff team first or plan for them to push to the playoffs when they arrive.

That to me is the difference between an offseason spending plan of $0/10/50 million or $15/20/30 over the next three years.  I personally think it should be the latter.  

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, our offense is 13th/15 in runs scored and 12th/13th in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS.    And that’s after being relatively hot for about a month.   So I wouldn’t say our offense is anywhere close to “average.”   Even if you eliminated Davis and Martin entirely, we’d still be well below average.    

The O's July offense after adding Santander is middle of the pack in the AL.  August competition will be tougher.

Just now, wildcard said:

The O's July offense after adding Santander is middle of the pack in the AL.  August competition will be tougher.

We’ve had a great month, no question about it.   If you roll back to June 28, we’ve scored 5.6 runs/game in our last 25.   But July has been a heavy offensive month around the league: .781 OPS, 5.17 runs/game.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’re a different team since then. We’re not giving a ton of ABs to Mullins, Broxton, Davis, Sucre/Wynns and Martin. 6 of the worst players in MLB this year.

Instead we’re playing Alberto, Nunez, Santander, and Sisco/Severino. 

I also think Peterson could be an upgrade from Ruiz. 

Check out some box scores. I’d say as of today we have a better lineup then Det, KC, CWS, Tor, Sea for sure. I think the only teams clearly with a better lineup as of now in the AL are NYY, BOS, Minn and TB. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re a different team since then. We’re not giving a ton of ABs to Mullins, Broxton, Davis, Sucre/Wynns and Martin. 6 of the worst players in MLB this year.

Instead we’re playing Alberto, Nunez, Santander, and Sisco/Severino. 

I also think Peterson could be an upgrade from Ruiz. 

Check out some box scores. I’d say as of today we have a better lineup then Det, KC, CWS, Tor, Sea for sure. I think the only teams clearly with a better lineup as of now in the AL are NYY, BOS, Minn and TB. 

Anybody’s better than Detroit.   

Mancini, Santander and Núñez have been Red hot of late.   We’ll see if they stay hot, and if not, what impact that has on the offense.   

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Oh boy!  It's actually not the strikeouts. At least not yet.  It's the lack of walks. The strikeouts could spike at the ML level but Tony and Luke, especially, seem pretty confident that Mountcastle is a pure hitter who should be productive at the ML level.  Sisco's strikeout rate in AAA was much worse than Mountcastle's even this year even though I can't cite the stats right now.

I’m waiting for someone to tell me why Ryan Mountcastle is so highly touted from a scouting perspective when the stats show a hitter that is leaning on his hit tool hard... there’s also some power and I’m not sure about his arm. His lacking defense is a frequent topic of conversation here. Maybe he ranks out better if they put him at 1B where he belongs, and he is still rather young to be in AAA. I’m just... uninformed perhaps— people are high on Mountcastle and I can’t figure it out.

25 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m waiting for someone to tell me why Ryan Mountcastle is so highly touted from a scouting perspective when the stats show a hitter that is leaning on his hit tool hard... there’s also some power and I’m not sure about his arm. His lacking defense is a frequent topic of conversation here. Maybe he ranks out better if they put him at 1B where he belongs, and he is still rather young to be in AAA. I’m just... uninformed perhaps— people are high on Mountcastle and I can’t figure it out.

Theres no room for him at Baltimore at 1B or DH. So he's got a few years to work on drawing walks. I dont see him as a prospect thats going to push out Nunez or Mancini, at least for a few years. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Theres no room for him at Baltimore at 1B or DH. So he's got a few years to work on drawing walks. I dont see him as a prospect thats going to push out Nunez or Mancini, at least for a few years. 

Mountcastle is 22 and is hitting .314 with an .865 OPS in AAA.  If he spends any time back in Norfolk next year it'll likely be a few weeks to delay his service clock.  They're not going to have him get 1000 PAs in AAA to work on his plate discipline.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mountcastle is 22 and is hitting .314 with an .865 OPS in AAA.  If he spends any time back in Norfolk next year it'll likely be a few weeks to delay his service clock.  They're not going to have him get 1000 PAs in AAA to work on his plate discipline.

Maybe next year, but they would have to move someone. I just dont see Elias moving out one of our best hitters for Mountcastle, but I've been wrong before.  

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Maybe next year, but they would have to move someone. I just dont see Elias moving out one of our best hitters for Mountcastle, but I've been wrong before.  

I think they do just that.  Trumbo will be gone, Davis should be gone, Nunez can maybe, possibly play third.  So Mountcastle can split time at DH/1B with Mancini, if Mancini survives the trade deadline and offseason as an Oriole.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I literally took the time to hold the ! down to emphasize how much this post annoys me.

I mean, if you want to disagree with the 10,000 things I've written about Mountcastle and about the 4,000 things Luke has written on him, by our guest, but to suggest you haven't heard from a scouting perspective why Mountcastle is highly thought of is frustrating to say the least from some who spends hours upon hours evaluating these players.

If you are uninformed while being long time member of Oriolesw Hangout then i suggest you try reading a bit more or perhaps go rad these 100s of scouting reports available on these players.

If you are looking for another take besides our, feel free to visit BA, BP, Fangraphs, or the many others that have written extensively on the pluses and minuses of Ryan Mountcastle.

And anyone who wants to say I'm being hard, save it. You spend hours upon hours evaluating players, hours upon hours informing people on this message board then have someone say "I’m waiting for someone to tell me why Ryan Mountcastle is so highly touted from a scouting perspective."

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I literally took the time to hold the ! down to emphasize how much this post annoys me.

[ ] NOT TOLD

[X] TOLD

[X] REALLY TOLD

[X] TOLDASAURUS REX

[X] CASH4TOLD.COM

[X] NO COUNTRY FOR TOLD MEN

[X] KNIGHTS OF THE TOLD REPUBLIC

[X] TOLDSPICE

[X] THE ELDER TOLDS IV: OBLIVIOUS

[X] COMMAND & CONQUER: TOLDBERIAN SUN

[X] GUITOLD HERO: WORLD TOLD

[X] TOLD KING OF BOLETARIA