Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

• 2 weeks later...

@Moose MilliganFrom Jayson Stark 

AL Least Valuable Player (LVP): Chris Davis, Orioles

Nobody sets out in life to become a perennial LVP candidate. I know Chris Davis didn’t. So I did my best to avoid handing him a second consecutive LVP award. But as I was thrashing around, trying to figure out somebody, anybody else to give this to, a friend of mine offered some valuable advice:

“Trout should win [the MVP award] every year. So why shouldn’t Chris Davis?”

Hmmm. When you put it that way…

You know how many players in the history of baseball have had a batting average below .180 in back-to-back seasons (with as much playing time as Chris Davis)? That would be none. But somehow or other, that’s about to change. Behold the worst two consecutive offensive seasons of all time:

YEAR SLASH LINE OPS OPS+ WAR SO/HITS
2018 .168/.243/.296 .539 49 -2.8 192/79
2019 .178/.271/.322 .593 58 -1.1 138/54

And if you look inside those numbers, you know what you find? Even messier numbers! Davis is 8 for 61 against left-handers this year, with 30 strikeouts … He’s hitting .138 against teams with winning records, with 93 whiffs and 27 hits … Against the Yankees and Astros, he’s (gulp) 3 for 50, with 30 strikeouts … When he falls behind in the count, he’s 8 for 103, with 73 punchouts.

I guess I admire the Orioles for not giving up on the guy. On the other hand, I also understand that writing him $23 million worth of checks every year would motivate anybody to pray that something comes out of writing those checks besides dugout screaming matches with his manager. But “at a certain point,” asked one scout who covers the Orioles, “don’t you have to move on with your franchise?” Well, if the worst two back-to-back seasons ever don’t bring you to that point, uh, maybe not!

• Upvote 1