Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Putting the work in means working hard.  It doesn't mean letting yourself go completely to pot.

He's gotten lighter and yet he's slower of foot.  He's noticeably less muscular.  He bold faced lied about what he was doing in the offseason.

He looks like what big guys that don't go to fat turn into three years into retirement.

PLYPDA2KEVLB7ALPHE4EOHEE34.jpg

Davis doesnt look flabby. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

And I do resent him for it. He got paid almost certainly under false pretenses. That salary has a material defect on the Orioles ability to pay other guys. I think he screwed this franchise over, and I don’t like it.

Makes you wonder if the other big home run hitters in baseball are on PEDs.  And is everyone in the NFL on them , because all those guys look jacked.

Anyway I dont fault Bonds because everyone was on steroids at the time but it is upsetting to find out Davis was on the juice. 

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Amazing how our team which was always usually a nonparticipant in big time free agency ended up with arguably the worst contract in free agency history.  Just ironic. 

It's not suprising as the team worked so slow under Angelo's that any actual good player when it was a hot market would be gone by the time Angelo's got around to approving anything.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

It's not suprising as the team worked so slow under Angelo's that any actual good player when it was a hot market would be gone by the time Angelo's got around to approving anything.

Yea but Angelos hurried up and went and got Albert Belle without even telling anyone else on the team. 

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Makes you wonder if the other big home run hitters in baseball are on PEDs.  And is everyone in the NFL on them , because all those guys look jacked.

Anyway I dont fault Bonds because everyone was on steroids at the time but it is upsetting to find out Davis was on the juice. 

So is there evidence Davis did roids?

i know he took Adderall. 

I dont strength is his problem. It’s reaction time. To hit a homer you actually have to hit the ball.

I blame Angelos for negotiating against himself.

The Orioles certainly we’re aware of the exemption.?the chances of it being withheld. The possibility of Davis’ deciding not to take it etc.

The contract should’ve had a clause that could give them an out if this happened. As smart of a lawyer as Peter was he certainly botched it.

21 hours ago, interloper said:

Nothing to see here, IMO. His leaner physique has had no effect on how hard he's hitting balls (he's hitting them harder than he has in years). I don't think muscle mass would have helped him with the called third strike problem, or the ability to make contact. He cranked a 98 mph heater deep to RF this year. The problem isn't muscle or weight, it's just making contact at all. 

Exit velocity down from 91.8 to 89.0 since 2015.

Hard hit ball percentage down from 46.2% to 39.6% since 2015.

Barrel % down from 17.6% to 10.7% since 2015.  

All those numbers relate to batted balls, not pitches that were missed.   And by the way, it’s certainly plausible that less muscle -> lower bat speed -> more swings and misses/failure to pull the trigger on strikes.