I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, theocean said:

I think this move made me finally except the truth that rooting for a multi-million-dollar organization is completely illogical and absolutely stupid.

It'd be like me rooting for a movie studio to make a profit on Battlefield Earth 2 or something. Like why do I care so much about paying $8 a beer and $20 a ticket to watch this un-entertaining crap? I'm not a kid, I shouldn't care so much about whether a bunch of millionaires hit a ball with a bat better than a bunch of other millionaires.

Last year was absolutely the least I've ever paid attention to the Orioles or baseball. This year, instead of wasting time and money on a crap team that is no fun to watch, I think I might, like, do something that actually makes my life better lol. I dunno, maybe fishing? Gardening? This already feels so liberating. ?

Fishing and gardening are fun. Not so much a night time activity. 

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think this move made me finally except the truth that rooting for a multi-million-dollar organization is completely illogical and absolutely stupid.

It'd be like me rooting for a movie studio to make a profit on Battlefield Earth 2 or something. Like why do I care so much about paying $8 a beer and $20 a ticket to watch this un-entertaining crap? I'm not a kid, I shouldn't care so much about whether a bunch of millionaires hit a ball with a bat better than a bunch of other millionaires.

Last year was absolutely the least I've ever paid attention to the Orioles or baseball. This year, instead of wasting time and money on a crap team that is no fun to watch, I think I might, like, do something that actually makes my life better lol. I dunno, maybe fishing? Gardening? This already feels so liberating. ?

Yeah I think the management team is destroying anyone interest in baseball in this town. People keep saying the 14 year losing  streak but it was never this bad in those years.  And we had plenty of drafts during that losing streak where we drafted in the top 5 and got a bunch of guys like Bundy, Gausman, Matusz, Lowen and Hobgood.  Drafting early gurantees nothing.

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

”If the Orioles aren’t going to pay for good players then I’m not going to watch or go to games or spend money” ... honestly, just hush. You didn’t go last year when Villar was in the middle of his amazing incredible 4 win season, you aren’t going this year. And if you did last year, then you’ll go this year anyway because apparently you didn’t learn your lesson.

I'm not worried about me. I fell in love with baseball a long time ago and will continue to watch it.

I just think it is bad for the long term health of the sport when only a third of the teams are actively trying to win at any given time, and in the periods when they aren't trying to win, don't want to have any players that make more than the minimum salary. I think that is not a good way to grow the game and build future fans

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

See here average fan, nine million is a lot of money when you aren't going to be competitive anyway.  Wouldn't you like 9 million dollars? 

Not when you have $170 million in TV money and a 50-60 million payroll. Quit trying to make excuses for them ...This is just an embarrassing greedy move by one of the worst ownership groups in sports history!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They knew whether they wanted to pay him in July for 2020. I won't believe they had no idea of the cost or plan...A bit naive don't you think.

Of course they knew if they wanted to tender him for 2020.  What I'm saying is that it is possible that the return at the deadline was so insignificant that it was an acceptable risk to try again after the season was over.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think that is true.  Provide a link.  Davis isn't getting some of his money until 2035.  The reason that the Met's deferred Bobby Bonilla's salary as they believe they could make more money investing in a ponzi scheme. 

The money owed to the player goes into escrow on the second July 1 after the end of the season when it was earned, but at a discounted rate designed to grow into the amount that will be due.    So, the Davis deferred comp due from the 2016-17 seasons already is in escrow, and 2018 money will be due to be paid on July 1, 2020, discounted.   The discount applied is set as described in the CBA.

“Deferred compensation obligations incurred in a Contract executed on or after September 30, 2002 must be fully funded by the Club, in an amount equal to the present value of the total deferred compensation obligation, on or before the second July 1 following the championship season in which the deferred compensation is earned. For purposes of this Article XVI, full funding of the present value of deferred compensation obligations shall mean that the Club must have funded, for the duration of and without interruption in each year, the current present value of the then outstanding deferred payments, discounted by 5% annually. If the prime interest rate in effect at The J.P. Morgan Chase Bank on the immediately preceding November 1 is 7% or higher, the Parties shall meet and confer regarding this Article XVI discount rate and may, with due notice to the Clubs, amend such discount rate effective the next succeeding July 1.”  

See page 81 of the CBA, found at p. 95 of this link to a PDF copy.   

https://d39ba378-ae47-4003-86d3-147e4fa6e51b.filesusr.com/ugd/b0a4c2_95883690627349e0a5203f61b93715b5.pdf

Hope that helps.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Not when you have $170 million in TV money and a 50-60 million payroll. Quit trying to make excuses for them ...This is just an embarrassing greedy move by one of the worst ownership groups in sports history!

They aren't even the worst ownership group in the immediate area.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not worried about me. I fell in love with baseball a long time ago and will continue to watch it.

I just think it is bad for the long term health of the sport when only a third of the teams are actively trying to win at any given time, and in the periods when they aren't trying to win, don't want to have any players that make more than the minimum salary. I think that is not a good way to grow the game and build future fans

I completely agree with you. But that is the natural course that the current structure of MLB compensation was set up to become.  The MLBPA has not done enough to ensure that players are paid, and in fact have done more harm than good. And on the flip side I don’t expect owners to be charity cases even when they can afford it. This is all the result of poor negotiation by the MLBPA and it should be torn down and redesigned. 

Put in the salary floor.

Tanking is a symptom and not a problem.