I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Every year the Ravens spend every last dollar that they can. The Cowboys as much as I dislike Jerry Jones as a GM they do as well. The Yankees, Dodgers, and other teams would spend way more if they didnt have to manage the luxury tax issues.

Dodgers, Yankees and Cowboys?

So the tenth, second and most valuable franchises in professional sports are your references?

All three of those teams are extremely profitable.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

This is like 143rd on the list during Angelos’ ownership. You must be the only Oriole fan that was tuning in to watch Villar play. I hope you recorded his at bats for maximum enjoyment. 

Villar was one of few reasons to watch the Orioles this year. If you werent watching him than you just werent watching!

No I didn't record them (thanks for the snarky remark)

What I did do was listen to him say in interviews that the coaches helped him adjust his swing to be more compact and have a better approach. Statistically he was obviously on to something!

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

C'mon man. Read the whole thing. A stolen base percentage of around 80 percent doesn't have a substantial impact on baserunning runs, it was all the other things he did on the bases.

I read it. Do you also believe that if Villar had hit 64 doubles last year instead of 33 that his baserunning runs would not have been positively impacted, resulting in a higher oWAR?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Dodgers, Yankees and Cowboys?

So the tenth, second and most valuable franchises in professional sports are your references?

All three of those teams are extremely profitable.

Whats your point ? I'm sure the Green Bay Packers spend up to their cap limit.

Baseball has no cap and there have been years and years of lies about revenues.

4 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Going back to your comment about rich guys buying teams as toys, have you checked what Jerry Jones was worth when he bought the Cowboys and what he's worth now?

As some point you have so much money that it doesnt matter.

Being worth $200 million or 4 Billion is beyond the understanding of most people. You can only have so many cars, houses, or in Robert Kraft's case so many visits to the Asian massage parlors.

My point is that he can buy anything he wants and could back then including a major sports franchise.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Whats your point ? I'm sure the Green Bay Packers spend up to their cap limit.

Baseball has no cap and there have been years and years of lies about revenues.

That you picked three teams with the highest revenue streams to make a point about spending.

If the Yankees bring in 200M more revenue than the O's and spend 150M more who is cheaper?

This is past my understanding of the nuances of the roster rules, but is there necessarily any downside to this as a procedural move if say Elias has sufficient offers from San Diego and Cleveland and knows it is very likely both will claim in the hopes of acquiring him as the sole claimant?  I guess I don't rule out this could be like when the Ravens had all 10 blockers gratuitously hold to run more clock when taking a safety on a punt or some such.  I also don't rule out there's just no market for this player at Arb3, especially if clubs are 30 for 30 at considering the criteria arbitrators use as not reflective of a player's real value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

As some point you have so much money that it doesnt matter.

Being worth $200 million or 4 Billion is beyond the understanding of most people. You can only have so many cars, houses, or in Robert Kraft's case so many visits to the Asian massage parlors.

My point is that he can buy anything he wants and could back then including a major sports franchise.

Guys who say they have 4  billion often don't. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll say that if you toss aside all the accounting chicanery every MLB team turned a healthy profit for its owners last year.

If this baseball reference article is correct then basically every team is guaranteed roughly $200m in revenue.  And you can add 52% of other local revenues (ticket sales/concessions, and I think the local TV contract)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

In Major League Baseball, 48% of local revenues are subject to revenue sharing and are distributed equally among all 30 teams, with each team receiving 3.3% of the total sum generated. As a result, in 2018, each team received $118 million from this pot. Teams alsoreceive a share of national revenues, which were estimated to be $91 million per team, also in 2018.

I know that they have other costs besides player salaries, but unless this article is way off base, basically every team should be able to sustain about $150m in payroll and still turn a healthy profit for the owner.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

This is past my understanding of the nuances of the roster rules, but is there necessarily any downside to this as a procedural move if say Elias has sufficient offers from San Diego and Cleveland and knows it is very likely both will claim in the hopes of acquiring him as the sole claimant?  I guess I don't rule out this could be like when the Ravens had all 10 blockers gratuitously hold to run more clock when taking a safety on a punt or some such.  I also don't rule out there's just no market for this player at Arb3, especially if clubs are 30 for 30 at considering the criteria arbitrators use as not reflective of a player's real value.

The key to it is whether there are 2 or more claimants.

It's possible, in my view, that Elias knows he has 2 or more and this puts a deadline on offers. But, as Luke has pointed out, it's risky. If only one claims, they get him. Period. 

But I think there's 2, at least. 

On 11/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'll say that if you toss aside all the accounting chicanery every MLB team turned a healthy profit for its owners last year.

So they don't buy teams as toys? Sure they make money. I think thats considerably different than pocketing $100+ million and DFAing your best player to avoid paying him. Leaving the team with another crappy AAAA player or 20 year old rule 5 player to march out all season why we suck!